Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon driving cross-country

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Musk Family Truckster Road Trip

What a phenomenal idea. Let's hope Elon can use this as another mini-vacation and de-stress a bit.

Elon Musk's Tesla family road trip

Musk says he plans to take a 6-day cross country car trip with his five sons at the end of the year.

"Just finalized the LA to NY family road trip route in Model S. 6 day, 3200 mile journey with only 9 hrs spent charging," Musk tweeted early Thursday.

It's been a trip he's been thinking about for a while.

"I'm planning to do a road trip with my kids from LA to NY at the end of the year. Which will be an adventure. Kind of like those Chevy Chase movies," Musk said at the company's annual meeting back in June, just after he revealed plans to greatly expand the supercharger network.

I'd be happy to volunteer as your Liberty Bell/Independence Hall tour guide should the Musk family decide to roll through Philadelphia.

A lot of those news links go to an old supercharger map ( from the original supercharger expansion announcement date ) that only shows 8 stations instead of the current 19. Thats too bad.

3200 miles over 6 days is only 533 miles per day. Thats somewhere around 268 miles of charging per day ( assuming you start each morning with a full 265 and end the day empty ). A more probable number is 300-350 miles of charging per day and ending each day with some buffer. Seems pretty easy to do that with a dozen correctly placed superchargers and 5 hotels with a L2 charger.

Last edited:
It would be really cool for Tesla owners to join the Musk family on the road as they drive through their area.

Absolutely! They should meet at the charging areas and make sure Musk has unfettered access to a station. If it is planned correctly local media could be alerted to cover each segment of the trip.
Maybe he could do it in an 'X'! :smile:

Elon Musk To Traverse The U.S. Using A Model S And Tesla Superchargers In 6 Day Trip, With Only 9 Hours Spent Charging | TechCrunch

"This would make a wonderful reality show, but we’ll probably have to settle for snippets from Musk on Twitter and via the official Tesla blog. Here’s hoping for plenty of pictures of Musk and co. mugging next to ‘America’s largest Turkey statue’ or whatever else they happen to come across."

Uh, I think it will be more like live streaming at stops, lots of media, and them coming across a lot of happy Tesla drivers.

As cool as that sounds, I think Elon deserves a nice vacation with his kids and some privacy. On the other hand, if he really wanted privacy, he wouldn't have tweeted out the fact that he's doing this. :tongue:

Elon's serving more than one master in this matter, it would seem.

Maybe he'll make the trip, without fanfare, as soon as all the necessary Superchargers are operational (and perhaps even before the've been announced as operational to other Model S owners)?

Fairly light volume today, I guess not a whole lot of news to really push it one way or another. I'm curious to see how Elons cross country trip goes, I almost feel like he has something special planned..
I am impressed with either his courage or ignorance. Couped up in a car with 5 young kids cross country for six days. I would not have the courage to do this. After 30 minutes would predict 1. Are we there yet or 2. I have to pee. By 1 hr a verbal fight and by 3 hrs a physical fight. I love my kids but would never attempt this.

I am impressed with either his courage or ignorance. Couped up in a car with 5 young kids cross country for six days. I would not have the courage to do this. After 30 minutes would predict 1. Are we there yet or 2. I have to pee. By 1 hr a verbal fight and by 3 hrs a physical fight. I love my kids but would never attempt this.

+1. I hope he avoids the temptation to use an ICE chase car with luggage and juiceboxes. And I hope he comes away with a deeper respect for cup holders.

Sedation administered via sippy cups is a wonderful thing. (One of many reasons why they never leave me alone with children.)

Elon's serving more than one master in this matter, it would seem.

Maybe he'll make the trip, without fanfare, as soon as all the necessary Superchargers are operational (and perhaps even before the've been announced as operational to other Model S owners)?

Maybe he'll make the trip and the Supercharger will be turned on as he passes or arrives, like Arthur reawakening the land as he rides. That way he'll be guaranteed a spot.