Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S, what to look for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading endlessly about Model S for several weeks now. Looks like I may have found a winner (slight used 2013 P85+).
What are some things to look or research while inspecting the car?
I'm assuming the factory warranty is easy to transfer and it should cover any warranty related issues.

There is little to look for compared to an ICE car. Check the 12V battery voltage and inspect for physical damage. The warranties are transferrable (There is a $100 fee for transferring the extended warranties.)

I don't have the link handy (and will probably need it soon), but there is a checklist that someone has come up with regarding a new delivery. You would probably be able to follow it as well...
Assuming that this is not coming from Tesla, you'll probably not get a walkaround done by the seller -- Therefore, you should watch the walkthrough video online to better "prepare" yourself.

I have read through the checklist and watched factory provided video.
How and where can I inspect the 12V battery?

As you face the Frunk from the front of the car, the battery is in the upper left hand corner under the air intake.

The battery is visible in some photos in this thread. There is some disassembly involved before you can visibly see the battery. I wouldn't expect the owner to let you do this.

You'll want to see a red 12v battery. The grey ones had issues and Tesla had to switch suppliers.

You may also want to inspect the inner aspects of the rear tires for excessive wear due to the high amount of negative camber in the suspension.

Make absolutely sure the mandatory oil-change interval was strictly adhered to.

With the proper SAE grade oil, too.

And oil filters, and fuel filters, also.

As you face the Frunk from the front of the car, the battery is in the upper left hand corner under the air intake.

The battery is visible in some photos in this thread. There is some disassembly involved before you can visibly see the battery. I wouldn't expect the owner to let you do this.

You'll want to see a red 12v battery. The grey ones had issues and Tesla had to switch suppliers.

You may also want to inspect the inner aspects of the rear tires for excessive wear due to the high amount of negative camber in the suspension.

Just pop the nosecone. There is a positive and negative terminal there - should at least make you able to measure voltage.

Id tell the seller Im disassembling to check the battery - ask if he wants to help.

These people are pulling your chain.

A P85+ has a good 12 volt battery. There is no way for you to evaluate it. Even checking the voltage will not tell you anything. The car is new.

Confirm car fax. i.e. no accident.
Inspect for damage. Esp. Curb rash on wheels. Scratches. B pillar wear. Dent on frunk. Scrapes on bottom of battery. Be sure the body panel alignment is good enough for you. (It won't be perfect.)
Check tire wear. Inside rear wheel tread.
Ask for permission to check with Tesla that only normal (non trauma related) repairs have occurred. Confirm this is a P85+ with VIN. Confirm what warranty goes with the car and who is paying for transfer. (Do it yourself if allowed.)
Drive the car on a bumpy road to check for creaking. There should be little to none.

Bring your wallet. You will buy the car.

you can't. looking at full VIN numbers of P85+ vehicles and comparing them to mine they are exactly the same except for the last 5 digits which are the production sequence numbers.
That was my recollection as well, hence the question.

I guess what William13 really meant was "confirm the P via the VIN" and "confirm the + by the rear wheels/tires and by consulting with a Tesla service center to check the suspension".