Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
At the grand opening for the Woodburn, OR Supercharger, the Tesla rep made an unofficial comment that we should be able to drive from Canada to Mexico using Superchargers come Thanksgiving. There's quite a bit of discussion going on in the Northwest forum about the locations for the next two Southern Oregon Superchargers and I was wondering if any of the Californians would like to take a stab at guessing where the NorCal locations might be.

Just to give you the Cliff's Notes version of the talk going on in the Northwest forum, is that we're looking at Sutherlin and Ashland, OR.

Redding CA
Woodland CA
Tracy CA

Those three are enough to get you from the Oregon border to Harris Ranch.

It's been about five years since I've made that drive but I remember there not being a lot of options as far as towns in which to stop for several hundred miles. Those towns are the ones that I thought of after looking at Google Maps but I figured that some might be more familiar with the area than I am.

Tracy CA would be an excellent location for a supercharger. Tracy is within a relatively small triangle surrounded by I-5, I-205, and I-580. Tracy is well positioned for the Canada to Mexico route, but also to connect the SF Bay Area to Hwy 99 (Fresno, etc), Yosemite, Mammoth, or Sequoia/Kings Canyon.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Tracy CA would be an excellent location for a supercharger. Tracy is within a relatively small triangle surrounded by I-5, I-205, and I-580. Tracy is well positioned for the Canada to Mexico route, but also to connect the SF Bay Area to Hwy 99 (Fresno, etc), Yosemite, Mammoth, or Sequoia/Kings Canyon.

I'd love Tracy. The current dot on the map looks closer to Stockton, however. As you say, though, Tracy would be better for Yosemite.

+1 for better coverage of Yosemite. It's nearly impossible to make the trip with the current network barring overnight charges at RV camps. Although ideally I'd like it to be a bit closer to the park (further east than Tracy).

A station closer to Lathrop near the 205/5 junction would serve the Bay Area to Yosemite and north-south travelers, although Bay Area to LA traffic taking the 580 cutoff to I-5 would have to go a little out of the way to use the supercharger. I think the next one to the north should be north of the 505/5 junction in Arbuckle or Williams to serve northbound traffic from the Bay Area/southbound to the Bay Area. Those sites would also make it 100-115 miles in both directions to Lathrop/Tracy and Redding.

+1 for better coverage of Yosemite. It's nearly impossible to make the trip with the current network barring overnight charges at RV camps. Although ideally I'd like it to be a bit closer to the park (further east than Tracy).

I'd love a charger somewhere like Merced, but the map doesn't show any plans for anything further east. Right now charging while trying to go anywhere in the mountains except Tahoe is extremely difficult.

This was posted a couple days ago in the main Supercharger thread in the Charging Standards and Infrastructure section...

I was at the Hawthorn Supercharger today and on the wall in the lobby of the Tesla research facility, there was a large map with all the California locations of future superchargers shown. The receptionist said the map was put up less than a week ago and that all the locations shown are scheduled to be installed by the end of THIS YEAR! Based on prior progress that seems a stretch, but I have attached the photo here.

View attachment 31646
So it looks like it will actually be Corning and Mt. Shasta.

Too bad we can't get a close up of each state!

Nice, I am really excited about vacaville obviously. I saw that coming as it is a prime location. The 505 intersection with 80 provides access for those going north or east from the Bay Area ( or vice versa). It also isn't far from where 680 and 780 join 80 in Fairfield and Vallejo. It is also is about half way between San Fran ( and Oakland and napa and Sonoma) and sacramento ( and Davis and other suburbs). It. Also helps those coming from or going to 5 south from the Bay Area (and north via 505), just as the one in Folsom helps get people between I-5 and the Tahoe area.

also, the outlets in Vacaville are owned by the same group as the outlets in Folsom and a few other super charger locations.

furthermore, vacaville is touted as one of the heaviest ev friendly cities in the country.

it seems to make more sense than woodland. It also seems like a population more likely to purchase teslas according to what I hear from friends that live in the woodland area.

now to find out how super charging on a regular basis will affect my battery and if that's a wise choice to cut down electrical costs at home! I guess I'm a bit biased on this topic.

now to find out how super charging on a regular basis will affect my battery and if that's a wise choice to cut down electrical costs at home! I guess I'm a bit biased on this topic.

Charging the car at home is quite inexpensive. To be sitting at a supercharger when it is located close to your home, you are not on a trip, you are making less than minimum wage. There is a Supercharger going in a few miles from my home. I don't see myself ever charging there.

Please be prepared to ask and politely give up your charging spot if the charging bays are full, and someone who actually needs it to get home shows up behind you.

I'd love to see Superchargers near the intersection of Hwy 50 and Hwy 395. This would fill the gap to Mammoth and the Eastern Sierra from most of Norcal (Yes, I know it's in Nevada). I see a planned Station in Bishop a big plus but Mammoth would be better. Add a station in Merced and you'll have an awesome road trip.

With the Grants Pass and Springfield SCs going in (and probably ready within a couple of weeks), I think we are heading round third for home plate on the West Coast Supercharger Highway. Anyone in the vicinity of Mt Shasta and/or Corning see any evidence of an SC going there? Hoping to do an all-SC Seattle to San Diego road trip in the not too distant future.