Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to check if firmware supports J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my CPO #474 recently from Menlo Park and ordered the J1772 Can from hcsharp. Is there an easy way to check if the firmware supports J1772 without frying the battery? :)
Is there a version number I should check?
Thanks.

I picked up my CPO #474 recently from Menlo Park and ordered the J1772 Can from hcsharp. Is there an easy way to check if the firmware supports J1772 without frying the battery? :)
Is there a version number I should check?
Thanks.

I don't know about checking firmware, but I got VIN 40 and have charged it with the Can and a 32A Chargepoint EVSE.

So, my car is older than CPO #474 and works with J1772. Hope that helps.

They all support J1772. The Roadster HPC and UMC use the J1772 protocol. IIRC some older firmware versions had trouble with certain charging stations (heck that's still true since Roadster won't charge on an 80A station due to a bug), but there's no risk of frying. All that will happen... is that nothing will happen.

At the low power end, Schneider 30 Amp chargers will not tolerate the out of spec wanderings done by Roadster after a few seconds. Other chargers all seem to work fine.

Latest firmware for Roadster is July 2012 afaik.
--

At the low power end, Schneider 30 Amp chargers will not tolerate the out of spec wanderings done by Roadster after a few seconds. Other chargers all seem to work fine.

Latest firmware for Roadster is July 2012 afaik.
--

Actually it was Schneider that was out of spec on all those cheap Chinese chargers. Schneider was the only manufacturer who used the wrong ground fault threshold. They admitted they blew it but refused to fix any of the stations that were already installed or being built. Instead they re-designed a whole new line of charging stations about a year ago using the correct threshold and started selling them last fall. Unfortunately we're still stuck with a lot of the original junk they installed.

I have the Schneider EV-Link 30A. It charged our Leaf just fine for about a year, but then it started getting frequent ground faults that seemed to be temperature related. We also have an i-Miev and that seemed to be charging fine, so I thought the Leaf charger was screwy. We took the Leaf in to the dealer and nothing was wrong with it. After a few weeks, the i-Miev started getting the intermittent ground faults during charging, so I knew it was the charger. I think the i-Miev hit the problem later because it only draws about 3.0kW from the wall, whereas the Leaf draws 3.8kW. I called up Schneider and told them what was happening (luckily, I have circuit monitoring and logging for all the circuits in my house) and they overnighted me a new charger. I found their customer service to be super good.

Actually it was Schneider that was out of spec on all those cheap Chinese chargers. Schneider was the only manufacturer who used the wrong ground fault threshold. They admitted they blew it but refused to fix any of the stations that were already installed or being built. Instead they re-designed a whole new line of charging stations about a year ago using the correct threshold and started selling them last fall. Unfortunately we're still stuck with a lot of the original junk they installed.