Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Menlo Park or Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm located the same distance from both of these service centers, and have taken my Model S to Menlo Park in the past. However, does the Fremont center have faster access to parts and technical support?

What about a Roadster? I just purchased a used one, and I want to get it's annual check along with some wheels, carbon fiber pieces, etc. Would it be better to take it to Menlo Park since that is where it had final assembly? Or are there benefits with taking it to Fremont? From pictures, I think the Fremont center is larger and can take more cars possibly?

Opinions?

Fremont is the main service place now. Lots of room for parts. Probably lots of loaner cars. Menlo Park is going to close "real soon now." If you like CalTrain the Menlo Park place is walkable from either the Palo Alto or Menlo Park stops. Fremont is nowhere for transit. (Although the BART Warm Springs station planned is right behind the Tesla Facility. No idea what that walk will be like.) I just took my Roadster to Fremont for my third annual service. They were quick. Jake who used to be the face of the Menlo Park service is now at Fremont. I saw him walking around a bunch of techs talking. I imagine that he's training new people constantly.

On the other hand, the smaller places you may get to talk with the techs. If I were going to wait while something is being done, I would rather be in Menlo Park. Fremont was nicer for me to drive since I-880 has reasonable carpool lanes.

Actually for a Roadster, I think I would go to Menlo Park, which will be moving down the road. The technicians there have been working for years on the Roadster (my old one included). Note: my Roadster never had any real problems.

So you might have more Roadster depth of experience......

Just had my Roadster towed to the Burlingame store. They said it has a problem with the PEM and that "unfortunately they don't even open up the PEM" and so installing a new PEM will be $10,000. No other options. There are pics on TMC of JB Straubel opening up a PEM and replacing some fuses to fix it. Is it just the Burlingame store that doesn't know how or won't open the PEM to fix it? Or is the company wide policy now to charge people $10,000 every time anything whatsoever goes wrong with the PEM?

Even at the time JB replaced the fuses in my PEM, I was told by the service staff at Menlo Park that they were not allowed to open the PEM. (Although someone there did open my PEM again to replace the temporary fuses with the right ones.)

The problem with your PEM might be something more serious than a blown fuse. There are many possible failures, and the error code(s) may indicate the nature of the failure.

If you are required to replace the PEM for $10K, you should keep the old one. You could find other threads here where people are looking for an old PEM to open and work on.