Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharge while driving non-linear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got my roadster (#1325) two years ago I have been playing a mind game while driving in an effort to get a picture of the battery discharge rate. Nominally I start off with ~180 miles estimated. I then add the miles driven and estimated range numbers to come up with a guestimate for that charge under the current driving conditions. As the miles driven goes up the sum of the two numbers seems to climb to as high as 200+ between 0 and 50 miles driven. The number then starts going down coming to as little as 150 miles by the time I have driven over 100 miles. I tried writing down the numbers while driving. NOT a good idea! I am now looking at using my GoPro camera to record the data for later analysis. Anyone been there done that?

Cheers,

Bob L

Since I got my roadster (#1325) two years ago I have been playing a mind game while driving in an effort to get a picture of the battery discharge rate. Nominally I start off with ~180 miles estimated. I then add the miles driven and estimated range numbers to come up with a guestimate for that charge under the current driving conditions. As the miles driven goes up the sum of the two numbers seems to climb to as high as 200+ between 0 and 50 miles driven. The number then starts going down coming to as little as 150 miles by the time I have driven over 100 miles. I tried writing down the numbers while driving. NOT a good idea! I am now looking at using my GoPro camera to record the data for later analysis. Anyone been there done that?

Cheers,

Bob L

The estimated miles are based on the last 30 miles of driving. It sounds like the first 50miles or so of your trip are a little easier, for example slower, less elevation gain, etc. I don't use estimated miles for that reason, preferring ideal miles instead. That has its own accuracy issues but I find it much easier to manage than estimated miles.