Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey vs. Black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this a very personal decision. But I am struggling to choose between grey and black. Any opinions? The grey shows the lines of the car a little more clearly, the black loses some of the body lines other than the silhouette. But the black is just slick and shows the chrome accents.

I know this a very personal decision. But I am struggling to choose between grey and black. Any opinions? The grey shows the lines of the car a little more clearly, the black loses some of the body lines other than the silhouette. But the black is just slick and shows the chrome accents.

My last 12 cars have been black. All cars you have to wash so that's no big deal. No other color looks as great as a black car. Washed, waxed--ooooooh.

As u said its whatever you want. I think the silver trim on black looks amazing on the Tesla! And 21" rims.

Whatever color you get it's going to be an amazing car!

Have you seen them both in person? The grey is gorgeous and deep, sparkles in the sunlight. The black is classic and like you said, slick. You can't make a mistake. You're in Seattle so I guess you don't have to worry as much about how black cars tend to suck up heat, which I think is a consideration if you park outside a lot. Go with your gut. Me, I'd pick grey over black, with a black interior in either one. But I agonized over color, too (I went red). You'll look forward to some sleepless nights soon, waiting for your delivery date!

I have the blue, so a pita to keep sparkling same as black. But when they are clean... Oh my. But i have to say I'm surprised that after seeing a gray in person I can't stop day dreaming about Tesla #2. Gray/gray with carbon fiber. The gray has a lot of depth, I think. And it makes the car look very shark-like. And everyone knows that sharks are awesome.

I went with black because I like black cars and also because I'm pinching pennies when it comes to extras on what will already be a more expensive car than I thought I'd ever buy.

I usually don't like gray cars and wouldn't have considered it until I saw one in person. It is really nice looking. If I had it to do over and if gray wasn't an extra charge, I might seriously consider it, though almost certainly would be on the fence about it for a while.

Black is both the best color and the worst color. While other colors might show dirt, black will show dust. Black will also show surface scratches more readily than any other color. BUT, when black is clean and well cared for, it can look fantastic. It reflects its environment like a mirror, allowing the shape of the car to become more evident. It's a bit more work, but if you enjoy washing cars it might be right for you.

DSC_4544sm.jpg

DSC_4581sm.jpg

I was pretty much convinced on black myself until I saw pearl white, but that's another story.

There is a reason they used to call it dolphin grey. In different lights, it can look blue or green...really almost looks living. I recently had a black Model S loaner provided to me while my grey was getting worked on...had it for a week and that really solidified for me that grey was absolutely the right color choice for me. I also had my car professionally detailed using CQuartz Finest and would say the resulting gloss stacks up to any other color's gloss quite nicely.

Several others have hit the nail on the head, but I'm going to say it too. Unless you have a need for black or enjoy cleaning your car very often, go with the grey. Grey is much more forgiving on cleanliness and hides swirl marks well. Black will show EVERY imperfection, piece of dirt, grass, water spot, swirl mark, and even dust if you don't clean it often. Yes, it looks slick, but it is a lot of work keeping it looking that way. But it's up to you...I have black as I can use it for work and write it off...I would have gotten grey, otherwise.

I have black exterior, with gray interior & lacewood (am I the only one?). I've never owned a black car before my MS, and have both a little silver "speeder" and a dark gray Jeep Cherokee.

Keeping it clean? Yes, every little speck of anything shows up on the paint, but I live in the Seattle and it rains from Thanksgiving right on through Easter. What are ya' gonna do?

For now, I bought a foam gun, and just foam up the car, wait, and then and rinse it off (no wash mitt). Works great so far, but the car is only a week old, so I haven't yet had a chance to get it grimy.

two cars ago I got a black WRX. It looked so nice on the lot, and within the first month when I did a wash, wax, and claybar, I thought it was the best looking car I'd ever had.

six months later I stopped thinking that as it was always a disaster. I couldn't clean/wax it often/well enough to keep it looking good at all. Thanks to that, I will personally never own another black car. They look great when you first get them, but quickly it goes downhill

They look great when you first get them, but quickly it goes downhill

Not if you wax and polish like you should with any car.

I've owned black cars for 20 years, never a problem. Look like a million day one or 2 years later.

I do hand wash my cars and take care of them though.

One of my 911's after 12 months--looks brand new.
photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well you should at least once or twice a year. Not a big deal and that's any color you buy. Or you can Opticoat. Most people wash their car once a week. But if you like dirty cars that's ok too.

we're getting super off-topic, but how do you do that in Austin with the drought and all? They say you "can't" wash your car at all. Sure you could take it somewhere, but I wouldn't want them destroying my stuff. I also do see neighbors occasionally washing theirs, but I'm still paranoid about it here.

we're getting super off-topic, but how do you do that in Austin with the drought and all? They say you "can't" wash your car at all. Sure you could take it somewhere, but I wouldn't want them destroying my stuff. I also do see neighbors occasionally washing theirs, but I'm still paranoid about it here.

That no hand washing 2-3 months out of the year--and yes I wash it--no different than hand watering plants.

So you just never wash your car? You said no automatic (which is good--bad news for paint), and you don't like hand washing, so what does the color matter?

Anyways back to topic--get black.

Last edited: