Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile interior: completely non-leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
Tesla's website (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs) says that the standard interior is: "Hand wrapped microfiber and synthetic leather interior surfaces in black". Does that include the steering wheel being synthetic material as well?

I have friends who are considering a Model S, but don't want any leather in the interior. This is for environmental reasons, but please lets not turn this into a debate over that. There's a thread in "Off Topic" already for those who want to debate.

I saw in some other threads, including the Animal Rights thread, that there was an option for non-leather interiors, but it wasn't 100% clear to me that this was the standard Textile seat option, and not something that required a special order.

I just went through this because I wanted to be sure my textile seat S came with a leather steering wheel.

The answer is that it is a special order you need to discuss. If you choose the textile seat option, you'll get cloth seats with synthetic leather inserts, just as it says on the website. As jeremyz mentions, though, the steering wheel remains real leather and is the same across all Model Ss.

I was told you could request synthetic leather on the wheel as well, but you need to discuss it when ordering as there's no box you can check to get it. It's a manual process.

Sadly, you're stuck with black seats/interior as your only option if you don't want leather.

@DITB

One thing to consider if you’re thinking about “fitting aftermarket seat covers to the black fabric, /…/ Or have [some other kind of seat upholstery] tailor made”, are the side air bags in the front seats… In an accident, where they would deploy, would they still function correctly if the seats are covered by something else than the OEM seat upholstery?

@DITB

One thing to consider if you’re thinking about “fitting aftermarket seat covers to the black fabric, /…/ Or have [some other kind of seat upholstery] tailor made”, are the side air bags in the front seats… In an accident, where they would deploy, would they still function correctly if the seats are covered by something else than the OEM seat upholstery?
Good point. A lot of aftermarket seat covers have airbag cutouts for this reason.