Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency Miser Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Moved from another thread so that I don't take it too much off-topic.

This idea has come up many times in the Prius groups. Do you know of any existing cruise control that has actually done this? It's a great idea, but I don't think it's ever been implemented :-(
An elementary algorithm would be fairly simple to write. In fact, if the SDK allows us to create things like "custom valet mode" I'll probably write it.

Efficiency Miser Mode, V1
Settings
  1. Maximum speed deviation. Default is 10mph.
  2. Maximum power consumption. Default value is 40 kW.
  3. Maximum regeneration rate. Default value varies depending on Regeneration Strength setting: 0kW for Low, 10kW for Standard.
Usage
  1. User evaluates and adjusts settings listed above, and enables EMM.
  2. User begins driving, enables cruise control, and sets target speed at 60mph.
  3. Cruise control behaves as normal but with the following modifications (numbers shown use the default values above assuming Regeneration Strength setting is on Standard):
    • Speed target is within the [50,70] mph range rather than [59,61] mph range.
    • Power consumption remains at or below 40 kW while the car is above 50mph.
    • Regeneration rate remains at or below 10 kW while the car is below 70mph.

Known flaws with V1:
  1. The speed target is difficult to maintain in hilly terrain when the vehicle is on the edge of the speed target range. To address this, future versions should apply a smarter algorithm to adjust the second and third bullets of Usage,3 so that the speed target range is strictly maintained.
  2. In emergency situations, the user needs to be able to disable the acceleration limiting temporarily. Perhaps simply disabling the limiting when CC is off is an option, but some users will want to use EMM with non-CC driving as well. So maybe use something like tapping both pedals at once is a good clue to turn off the limiters.

My closest approximation (so far) to this algorithm has been to set the Cruise Control to 51mph and manually apply throttle to reach up to 70 mph while maintaining consumption at or below 40 kW. When approaching 65mph, I start tapering off so that I don't hit the regen cap when going downhill -- which would require applying brakes or going above the 70mph limit of the speed target range.

Features needed from SDK to implement "Efficiency Miser Mode, V1":
  1. Read/write app settings in the form of 4 integers in the ranges: [0-130], [0-320], [0-60], and [0-60].
  2. Read/write app setting in the form of a boolean.
  3. Set the cruise control speed target.
  4. Set Power Consumption limit.
  5. Set Regeneration Rate limit.
  6. Sample the current vehicle speed.

Last edited:
This is a great idea. I've been doing something similar (manually) while driving hilly Interstate 89 in Vermont. One step further would be to have it keep an eye on the delta of the current battery range and the miles-to-destination (on the NAV), and modifying the energy saving algorithm if necessary to assure safe arrival.

There should also be a minimum speed setting for highway travel, which might include automatic activation of 4-way flashers when minimums are crossed.

Yes, an energy-efficient cruise control is an addition that I'd love to see. I try to do this manually as well which (in the absence of forward-looking terrain radar) allows me to use a little extra power to speed up a bit before a hill starts, thus building up a reserve of energy and not having to slow down as much on the actual hill. The two key conditions for me to do this are fairly empty roads and not being late or in a hurry.

Then again, my average energy use on real-life highway trips is more like 365 Wh/mile, so it's obvious I only meet those conditions once in a while... :-D

Brianman your idea of an energy efficient cruise control mode is great. Needed. As for now the MS CC is far too aggressive at chasing the speed target.
When you come to fuel efficiency here's what aircrafts manufacturers implement :
E.g Airbus :
image.jpg
Your algorithm seems even more elaborate, though.

Last edited: