Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't reply to threads on windows phone 8; but can create new ones!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
So, when I click to reply and the cursor appears, the keyboard appears and immediately dismisses. Have tried changing settings but to no avail. And what worked on this box I'm typing in right now was to copy and paste this text in.

So, when I click to reply and the cursor appears, the keyboard appears and immediately dismisses. Have tried changing settings but to no avail. And what worked on this box I'm typing in right now was to copy and paste this text in.
I ran into that problem too. Sometimes it goes away. Haven't researched it much more than that.

This was a known iProblem which I think we had after 6.0 software, doug may have insight why it happens on Windows 8. The cure on Safari is to tap the "Next" button on the top left of the keypad before you start typing.
Doesn't happen on Windows 8, but on Windows Phone 8. It's an important distinction.

Now back on my computer with a real keyboard. I am not saying there isn't a problem, but I am not experiencing it. I have the "Amber" Windows/Nokia update on my phone. But have never had this problem.

The only problem I have is with the curser jumping around in the box every now and then. And the curser leaving the box, but having the keyboard left open. But nothing too big if you are paying attention to what you are writing.

The only problem I have is with the curser jumping around in the box every now and then. And the curser leaving the box, but having the keyboard left open. But nothing too big if you are paying attention to what you are writing.
I think that's why the keyboard dismisses on mine: the cursor moving and the keyboard going away because the target has changed.

So perhaps root cause: Why does the cursor leave the box?

I think that's why the keyboard dismisses on mine: the cursor moving and the keyboard going away because the target has changed.

So perhaps root cause: Why does the cursor leave the box?

If I hit the carriage return then start typing right away the cursor leaves the box. But my keyboard stays up. I can press in the box again to get the cursor back and resume typing.

If I double hit the carriage return then wait a second then start typing my cursor stays in the box. I am not sure exactly why my cursor leaves the box when typing right away. It doesn't seem consistent to me. And I haven't tested it a whole lot.

Also when trying to select text, or move the cursor to a point in the box sometimes the cursor leaves the box, sometimes it jumps to the end of the line, and sometimes it works correctly. This I get very frustrated with because I can't seem to figure out a method that gives consistent results.

But my keyboard will stay up throughout all these antics. I have to use the back button (or link to another page) to get it to collapse.

If I hit the carriage return then start typing right away the cursor leaves the box. But my keyboard stays up. I can press in the box again to get the cursor back and resume typing.

If I double hit the carriage return then wait a second then start typing my cursor stays in the box. I am not sure exactly why my cursor leaves the box when typing right away. It doesn't seem consistent to me. And I haven't tested it a whole lot.

Also when trying to select text, or move the cursor to a point in the box sometimes the cursor leaves the box, sometimes it jumps to the end of the line, and sometimes it works correctly. This I get very frustrated with because I can't seem to figure out a method that gives consistent results.

But my keyboard will stay up throughout all these antics. I have to use the back button (or link to another page) to get it to collapse.

Ok, I have a workaround but requires me to quote text to reply. And yes I'm on a Lumia 920 :(

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I have a workaround but requires me to quote text to reply. And yes I'm on a Lumia 920 :(
oh and I have to "go advanced" as well :(

I think you broke Discoducky, Rolo.

Seeing as how Microsoft just bought Nokia, this might be a moot point.

NOTE: It took me about 15 tries to get at least 3 characters in the box so it would let me post.

I think I may have an insight as to why this is occurring. I notice that when the keyboard pops up the darkened area is offset by about a 1/3 to the left for a split second and the hit targets are off for touch to the left as well. Seeing as how TMC is the only forum where I'm typing stuff into I'm not sure if this is on IE/Nokia/TMC or other.

Last edited:
I sometimes have this problem on my iPhone (typing on it right now) and found a solution:

After clicking "reply", scroll down and hit the "go advanced" button. For some reason I never have the disappearing keyboard problem on the advanced reply screen. Maybe that'll work on Windows Phone, too?

I sometimes have this problem on my iPhone (typing on it right now) and found a solution:

After clicking "reply", scroll down and hit the "go advanced" button. For some reason I never have the disappearing keyboard problem on the advanced reply screen. Maybe that'll work on Windows Phone, too?

yep, see post #12 ;) But that doesn't always work; Yeah internet!