Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spots where you have AT&T connectivity on cellphone but not Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
I have an odd situation... at my in-laws' home, I have AT&T connectivity on my cellphone but my Model S has no connectivity.

Here's the map where the Tesla stopped reporting... I went a bit further and I'm staying in Oakland (IL):
Screen Shot 2013-08-31 at 12.11.19 AM.png

...and yet here is what my phone reports (yes, -105 dBm, although it drops to -95 dBm, it's a working signal):
Screenshot_2013-08-31-00-16-42.png

Now, this area has long had an issue, up to a few generations of phones ago, I would be told by the phone that I was roaming, even though AT&T's tech support told me I really wasn't. That no longer happens.

My SIM is coded for MCC/MNC 310/410, which is AT&T's standard Cingular MNC. The network where I am is showing MCC/MNC 311/190, which is listed as Cellular Properties Inc., aka CellOne East Central IL. That said, they must have an agreement with AT&T because our iPad, iPhone, and Samsung GS3 & GS4 work here without issue. The Tesla, however, doesn't seem to work.

AT&T's coverage map shows this as "partner" coverage, presumably the CellOne East Central IL... but given that AT&T doesn't treat it as roaming on the phone, I imagine the Model S shouldn't.

Anyone else find spots like this (other than the US/Canada border) where the Tesla didn't/doesn't work but other AT&T devices do? Did Tesla make a change to enable it for you?

Last edited:
Could also be 3G vs 4G. Towers are not required to have both systems. It could also be that the antenna in the Tesla is sub par. Your signal is a bit weak.

It's AT&T's "3G" and non-LTE "4G" -- both HSDPA, not LTE. Network technology wise, 4G == 3G in this case. Definitely not the antenna because it shows 4 bars in the Tesla, just no 3G indicator.

This is a problem I've seen in this area, and it has to do with the MCC/MNC offered by the tower. Yes, in this particular screenshot my signal is weak but I have 5 bars right now and the Model S is offline.

Definitely a network ID issue. Just curious if there are any others that have experienced this.

Going to bump this again to see if anyone else has had this experience. Went back to my in-laws' home this weekend for Thanksgiving and experienced this again.

Tesla has passed information to AT&T; AT&T asked for an address so they could research, but this one seems to be taking forever to resolve. Anything involving AT&T seemingly does - just like last year's Slacker problem in the midwest that ended up being an AT&T misconfiguration, although in that case ALL mobile devices had a problem, not just Tesla.

In my case, my phone works fine but the car apparently thinks that it's roaming.

Here's what MCC/MNC looks like on the native AT&T network:
home-mccmnc.png

And here's what MCC/MNC looks like in Oakland, IL:
oakland-mccmnc.png

Anyone else have spots where the car shows 5 bars but no "3G" indicator?

I have Verizon, and found that I can teather my car to the phone signal easily. I leave the hotspot on my Iphone. When I get into an area of no ATT signal for an extended period, I just tap the signal icon, the car searches for WiFi and connects to my phone. It takes about 10 seconds for the systems to catch up after connecting. I then have back, Slacker, Maps, Traffic etc.

Try access this page in the car http://www.iplocation.net
Do the location match
In my car it report that I'm in Spain, but I'm actialy in Denmark
Also internet in my car is extremly slow, and compleatly random
I can have 5 bars but maps and Music do not work
And thenlater just 1 bar but now maps Update

You cannot use the web browser in the car when it has no data connectivity.

- - - Updated - - -

I have Verizon, and found that I can teather my car to the phone signal easily. I leave the hotspot on my Iphone. When I get into an area of no ATT signal for an extended period, I just tap the signal icon, the car searches for WiFi and connects to my phone. It takes about 10 seconds for the systems to catch up after connecting. I then have back, Slacker, Maps, Traffic etc.

That's what I have been doing when I need it, it's just extremely annoying when I know that AT&T does have a partnership and my phone has full HSDPA connectivity... I'm sure it's as simple as a bit of programming to make the car recognize the AT&T "partner" networks.