Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Shock Absorbers for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power Generating Shock Absorber - PGSA
Hydraulic electromagnetic energy-regenerative shock absorber - HESA

Seems to be common acronyms I finally found googling these things after seeing them on StumbleUpon. I can't imagine why putting 2 of these on each wheel, plus the front steering assembly with such a heavy car as Tesla that this wouldn't create a 'constant regen'.
Although slight, I read everyone trying to consume <300 watthours on the Energy meter...This could easily put us <200!

Something something gedanken experiment. If you really think the suspension in a car is consuming 50% of the car's power, then why is it not cooled like an engine block in an ICE? Surely it would rapidly overheat.

I saw a demo of a car using an electromagnetic suspension - instead of hydraulics it used electromagnets - the idea being that it was faster reacting. The power it put into the system was around 600 watts average. As a rough guess you might be able to recover about half of that which is 300 watts, for comparison the A/C in the Model S uses about 6000 watts.

It doesn't pay off, for all the extra bux spent doing that they could make the battery pack bigger, or car lighter, etc.

Something something gedanken experiment. If you really think the suspension in a car is consuming 50% of the car's power, then why is it not cooled like an engine block in an ICE? Surely it would rapidly overheat.

I saw a demo of a car using an electromagnetic suspension - instead of hydraulics it used electromagnets - the idea being that it was faster reacting. The power it put into the system was around 600 watts average. As a rough guess you might be able to recover about half of that which is 300 watts, for comparison the A/C in the Model S uses about 6000 watts.

It doesn't pay off, for all the extra bux spent doing that they could make the battery pack bigger, or car lighter, etc.

Ditto. There is no more energy to recover from the suspension than what the existing shock absorbers generate as heat.

Actually i think this is a great idea. I am a cyclist and every wave in the floor significantly reduces my forward force. Would love to have that in my racing bicycle. haha
It reduces my speed to about 5% i would say.
You could design those things very light. tiny linear generator or so.
But i wouldnt say more than 10% increase. But certainly worth it IMO. Those things last forever. Perhaps for the model gen 6. Now try to reduce the expense.
definitely a future tech.
how long do you think the tesla s motor will last?
e-motors last for 30,000 hours and more. now calculate: 1 hr per day, 350 hr/year-> 35000 hrs= 100years. :scared:

Last edited: