Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jersey rules txting someone whose driving you are now liable for their accidents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ridiculous. If you text someone that's driving and they get into an accident, you are liable and can be sued now.

That's right. I didn't say "texting and driving", I said if you are sitting your a$$ at home and txt someone else that's driving and THEY get into an accident, YOU can now be sued.

Only in New Jersey - The most backwards state in the country.

Text a driver in New Jersey, and you could see your day in court - CNN.com

"We hold that the sender of a text message can potentially be liable if an accident is caused by texting, but only if the sender knew or had special reason to know that the recipient would view the text while driving and thus be distracted," the court said.

Why would you knowingly be sending texts to someone who's driving. Are you trying to get them killed?

Why would you knowingly be sending texts to someone who's driving. Are you trying to get them killed?

And there in lies the "out."

"... but only if the sender knew or had special reason to know that the recipient would view the text while driving..."

Your response... "How could I have known?"
And in what time frame is/was the text sent, vs. accident? Could be a whole he said/she said affair.

Unless the actual word "driving" comes up in the text exchange, this will never hold up.

Last edited:
Even if a text is sent to someone you KNOW is out driving around, it isn't your fault if the recipient decides to read the text WHILE DRIVING versus at a time when the text isn't a distraction, such as when parked.

Ludicrous legislation that only benefits lawyers and various other ambulance chasers.

Whats next...app makers liable for push notifications...?? lol

Google liable for dinging when gmail arrives??

lol

Lets say you do get sued.., typically that's why you have insurance, etc, but if your home and txt someone else and now your liable, does your car insurance cover this?? Soo many questions...

A$$ on couch text: dude, are you drvin?
dude driving: Yeah, what's up?
A$$ on couch: You must see this LOLCATS right now!!!
dude driving: But I'm drvin and just crashed; thx!

Partially Liable, yes; While not the same as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater; freedom of speech has its limits.

Last edited:
A$$ on couch text: dude, are you drvin?
dude driving: Yeah, what's up?
A$$ on couch: You must see this LOLCATS right now!!!
dude driving: But I'm drvin and just crashed; thx!

Partially Liable, yes; While not the same as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater; freedom of speech has its limits.
I feel this story is incomplete. Clearly Discoducky forgot to include the picture. If I get into a wreck while typing this post, I'm totally blaming him.