Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folsom Supercharger to Harris Ranch Supercharger - Will I make it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday, I'll be driving home from the Bay Area to Los Angeles. My plan was to top off (85kWh), max range at the Folsom Supercharger, turn on Range Mode, and stretch it out to the Harris Ranch Supercharger - 205 miles. It seems like I should be able to make it but after reading through many of these posts, I'm thinking it may be too risky. I really want to be able to drive the speed I want to, and not have to limp along at 60mph. Will I make it?

Thoughts?

Monday, I'll be driving home from the Bay Area to Los Angeles. My plan was to top off (85kWh), max range at the Folsom Supercharger, turn on Range Mode, and stretch it out to the Harris Ranch Supercharger - 205 miles. It seems like I should be able to make it but after reading through many of these posts, I'm thinking it may be too risky. I really want to be able to drive the speed I want to, and not have to limp along at 60mph. Will I make it?

Thoughts?

That's not hard. Just make sure you keep your wh/m under 360. That's about 72mph for me with A/C across WA I5, which should have comparable elevation changes to that route. You should be able to do better if you have 19" wheels instead of 21.

You can always slow down halfway through the trip if you see you can't make it, so I wouldn't call it particularly risky with a range charge. Just plan the route before hand, and have a backup plan ready. (Also make sure you have your adapters & charge cable in the car etc.)

Thoughts?

If you're in the Bay Area, why are you going by way of Folsom? Where are you starting from?

If there is any traffic then you should be fine. I was doing 70-75 on I-5 yesterday and getting 275-290Whr/mi. Traffic is kinda nice for the S. We don't have that stuff up here and my regular driving is more like 375 Whr/mi

From Fremont SC to Folsom doing 73-80 mph (except a few miles of I-880) I used 160 rated miles (130 mile trip)

At the end of July we made a trip from San Diego to S. Lake Tahoe. I used the Tejon SC, stopped in Selma for the night and visited my mom. Full charged there since I installed a 40a plug in and proceeded to Folsom up the 99 going at time 76 but probably averaging about 70 traffic allowing. Experienced no problem making it to Folsom with over 50 miles to spare. You should have no problem since it was about 200 from Selma to Folsom.

FWIW, I took mine down to 275 miles averaging 304wh/mi and driving average (average) 63mph - including a 115 mile stretch of 85mph I-45 (albeit I drove at 72 in the right lane). Granted, Texas is flat and I was going downhill (lost 394 feet of altitude) and the wind was nil and I have 19s and when I arrived, I had 0 miles on the range, the battery warning (both the yellow and the red) had come and gone, the car put itself in failsafe mode (shut off the AC and turned down the internal lights) and the dotted line was moving clockwise towards double digit numbers in a depeche mode.

Again, I think you will be fine. You will not get anywhere near my tachycardic range anxiety state.

:)

FWIW, I took mine down to 275 miles averaging 304wh/mi and driving average (average) 63mph - including a 115 mile stretch of 85mph I-45 (albeit I drove at 72 in the right lane). Granted, Texas is flat and I was going downhill (lost 394 feet of altitude) and the wind was nil and I have 19s and when I arrived, I had 0 miles on the range, the battery warning (both the yellow and the red) had come and gone, the car put itself in failsafe mode (shut off the AC and turned down the internal lights) and the dotted line was moving clockwise towards double digit numbers in a depeche mode.

Again, I think you will be fine. You will not get anywhere near my tachycardic range anxiety state.

You made me google that. :cursing: Btw, you are the #1 hit when searching for 'moving clockwise towards double digit numbers in a depeche mode', even without the quotes. But now I know what "depeche" translates to (assuming that 'mode' was english for your usage).

Glad you made it! We live about 20 miles north of Folsom. we made it home from Harris ranch with 0 miles left. Folsom is up hwy 50 but we live off i80 so we didn't choose to go through Folsom. It was a nail biter, but we did it! We just slowed down. We drove from Loomis to del mar and back. It was our first long trip. I would do it again. No big deal. There will be another supercharger going in between Sacramento and Harris ranch to ease the anxiety

Glad you made it! We live about 20 miles north of Folsom. we made it home from Harris ranch with 0 miles left. Folsom is up hwy 50 but we live off i80 so we didn't choose to go through Folsom. It was a nail biter, but we did it! We just slowed down. We drove from Loomis to del mar and back. It was our first long trip. I would do it again. No big deal. There will be another supercharger going in between Sacramento and Harris ranch to ease the anxiety[/QUOte

Ooooooo, you got a guess WHERE? Other than Vacaville, Manteca-ish?

That's quite the drive. I made a similar trip from the Fremont supercharger at 205miles on the range and got to Harris Ranch with 20 miles left. Charge maxed to 255miles and made a quick stop at Tejon for 15 mins to get added juice for my trek to LA. Quite nice to do a road trip in the MS

To the OP, how fast were you driving? How long did you charge at Folsom? Everyone on the thread talks about driving 70 ish, but I find that in the Bay Area and down I5, 80 is the average and I'm easily going 85+ regularly (obviously with no traffic).

I wonder if Tesla would increase charging rate? Last trip I made, we spent about 45 mins @ Harris Ranch and another 45 minutes @ Tejon, so I added about 3 hours round trip. Would be great if Tesla came out with improved charging rate to 20 mins to 80% with 20 miles left

Dear Sublimaze1.

Thanks for your input, I have been looking for help and not found that answer yet I am new at Tesla I received it late June. And drove it from Miami to our cabin in the Carolina mountains a trip that has taken us 16 hours most all these years became 21 hours. I experienced the tachycardia you mentioned but not because the car range, but because the wife and kids complaining.
I had to do a huge loop away from home to be in range of superchargers. Although there are plenty of supercharges along I 95 from Miami all the way to New York ther are not many options when coming west, my cabin is in western North Carolina.

My question to you is this: Can I make it from mi cabin to the first supercharge in I 95 that is 260 miles away? I will gain about 2000 feet in altitude going back. I have the option to charge for emergency in two separate towns but regular slow public chargers.
or should I go back doing the same long loop that extends the trip another 5 hours?

You are the first Tesla driver that has answered the question about driving over 250 miles. I bought the car with the misunderstanding that 300 miles was 300 miles I learned the reality on this trip.

I have an S85 with 19 wheels.

What would you do? Big loop or go straight ?

regards

Wind can be a big factor on this stretch. Made it to Harris with 48 miles left this spring. Door ripped out of my hand when I exited due to a strong north wind. A more common southwest wind will have the opposite effect, eating up your range.
I drove at speed limit having max charged in Roseville?

Dear Sublimaze1.

Thanks for your input, I have been looking for help and not found that answer yet I am new at Tesla I received it late June. And drove it from Miami to our cabin in the Carolina mountains a trip that has taken us 16 hours most all these years became 21 hours. I experienced the tachycardia you mentioned but not because the car range, but because the wife and kids complaining.
I had to do a huge loop away from home to be in range of superchargers. Although there are plenty of supercharges along I 95 from Miami all the way to New York ther are not many options when coming west, my cabin is in western North Carolina.

My question to you is this: Can I make it from mi cabin to the first supercharge in I 95 that is 260 miles away? I will gain about 2000 feet in altitude going back. I have the option to charge for emergency in two separate towns but regular slow public chargers.
or should I go back doing the same long loop that extends the trip another 5 hours?

You are the first Tesla driver that has answered the question about driving over 250 miles. I bought the car with the misunderstanding that 300 miles was 300 miles I learned the reality on this trip.

I have an S85 with 19 wheels.

What would you do? Big loop or go straight ?

regards

You will probably get more answers if you post your question in a different thread. You should first try entering your itinerary in EVTripPlanner or whatever that website is called. It will tell you how many kWh it will normally take for your trip, excluding wind. With a fully loaded car, and gaining 2,000 feet in elevation, I would think it's highly unlikely you'd be able to do 260 miles on a single charge unless you really hyper-miled it, meaning drove 55 mph the whole way. I would think you'd need to stop someplace to pick up at least 20 rated miles.

On a more general level, I think you should have a talk with your family about what to expect road tripping with the MS and how it might take longer, make a few more stops, but you're going to enjoy yourselves and not be rushing. If they can't accept that, I would either take a different car, find a place to stop overnight, or fly.