Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast Chargers near Norfolk VA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

2012 Sig Perf #236 VIN#484; 2018 P100D; 2021 Plaid
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
I am making the trip from the Northern Virginia area to the Outerbank in NC. Since the VA Superchargers has yet to appear, I was hoping to find something faster than a 30A J1772 to add necessary range to get to our destination. Does anyone local to the area know if any of the available chargers are 70A?

Last edited:
Tidewater does not have any fast chargers that I am aware of. You could charge at Richmond Omni (60Amps I believe) then find an owner between Richmond and the Outer Banks on plug share with a HPWC. Alternatively, you could kill time at a KOA with 14-50 for a few hours or overnight in a cabin (I and others have stayed at a Cabin at Virginia Beach KOA).

Tried to charge in the Scope Arena in downtown Norfolk last night, to my surprise the chargers was a combined CSS/CHADEMO and I don't have the adapter!
I have been L1 charging "near" (4 cold windy blocks) my hotel and at my brother's apartment during the day. One of the residents in his building complained
(because the spot is usually empty and they can back out into that stop to leave) so I can't L1 charge at his building anymore.

I had never seen a CSS/CHADEMO charger before.

I drove to Nissan of Norfolk to use their L2 charger today and THEY OFFERED ME A SHUTTLE RIDE TO HIS APARTMENT (5 miles away)!
Planning to leave late tomorrow afternoon for the Salisbury, MD supercharger if the roads/Bay Bridge are cleared from the impending storm.

If it weren't sub 25F I'd probably have no drama making it to Salisbury with just L1 charging.

PlugShare lists 14 L3 Chargers near Norfolk. A couple are coming soon, but all appear to be CHAdeMO. Get a CHAdeMO adapter for the most choices.

Norfolk-VA.jpg