Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in RANGE MODE all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
I was running really low on juice yesterday and switched to RANGE MODE. Noticed a subtle difference in AC operation but, little change (if any) in driving dynamics/performance.

After I topped up, decided to continue to drive in Range Mode full time. The AC (which now displays ECO ON instead of AUTO or CUSTOM) has been just fine even when it's been hot out here; in fact, the fan speed and temperature (set to 70 degrees when it's 85-ish outside) seem to be just right whereas the climate control goes bonkers at fan speed 10 if I were to turn off Range Mode.

So, what gives?! Subjectively speaking, I'm seeing slightly better Wh/mile numbers (difference of 10-20 Wh/mile) when driving in Range Mode full-time.

Anyone else tried doing this?

I've used range mode a couple times and noticed similar results. And I'm located in Phoenix -- and both times I did the range mode test, the temps were 105+.

The first time was for a regular commute. Morning temps were in the 80s and I didn't notice anything really different. In the afternoon, since the AC compressor was capped (ie the variable speed motor would not operate ate full speed), it did take a couple extra minutes to cool the car down, but once it was cooled down, the temp was fine. It also seemed to put the compressor in low speed mode for longer periods, and just when I felt it was starting to get just a bit warmer, it cooled back down.

The second time was for a day trip. I pre-cooled the car, so on the outbound leg, the car stayed nice and cool. The return leg was also OK.

Will definitely use it for road trips...

Anyone else tried doing this?
I have been running Range Mode as my default for quite a while now.

I notice no practical difference except the car takes a little longer to cool down if really hot inside. If I need it cool ASAP I turn off Range Mode till it's cool then switch it back on.

I particularly like the fact that the loud compressor noise in the early cooling stage is absent in Range Mode.

I particularly like the fact that the loud compressor noise in the early cooling stage is absent in Range Mode.

I use Range Mode for this exact reason. The a/c compressor, especially at first, is embarrassingly loud. I actually had a comment from a passerby that they thought the car's "engine" sounded funny.

I get sufficient cooling power in Range Mode, but wish they didn't limit the cabin fan to "8". I can't imagine the fan uses that much juice compared to the compressor.

mknox, I agree. I leave my range mode on all the time, It is perfect for Wisconsin Temps. Even when we hit 98 degrees Tuesday, I precooled literally for 1 minute(as I locked up the shop and walked to the car) and that was enough to bring it down quite a bit, then the range mode kept up with it.

I agree, a higher fan speed would be perfect. I believe the same thing with Window AC units. They blow nice cold air, but, the fans are so slow that they cant blow it far enough to make it worth while. I feel the same with the MS. The fan cant be more then 25-40 watts, and letting the fan blow faster, they might be able to cut the compressor speed even more, as the circulating air can make you feel cooler as well!

I tried Range Mode during the Atlanta Winter. I too didn't like the lower maximum fan speed, but the main reason I shut it off was that it forced the heater to be on when i turned the fan on. The temps were in the low 40s, but it was bright and sunny and I had to turn the fan off and roll down the windows to be comfortable. Once I shut Range Mode down I could once again drive the car with the windows shut and the fan on without any heat to bother me. I thought it was very strange that Range Mode would force you to waste energy on heat when you didn't want it. I am wondering if Tesla fixed this issue in subsequent updates.

I don't have my car yet. What is RANGE mode? Is that where you charge the battery to full capacity instead of standard charge? Where is the setting? I'm learning all I can before my car gets here. Thanks!

The car historically had 2 range modes. Charging the battery to 100% is called "range mode". There is nothing in the car that uses wording anymore (used to be before 4.5), but it's still known as such.

You also can however pick whether you want your Climate Control in range mode vs. standard. Standard climate control ramps up quickly, Range mode climate control ramps up more slowly and uses less energy. That is what this thread is about.

I have been running Range Mode as my default for quite a while now.

I notice no practical difference except the car takes a little longer to cool down if really hot inside. If I need it cool ASAP I turn off Range Mode till it's cool then switch it back on.

+1
This is exactly what I do, which I started doing to eliminate that loud compressor noise. It has been working just fine, especially since I usually precool the car from the app.

Will definitely use it for road trips...

Great thread, and great idea. I'd never paid attention to it even on a trip; even when I ended my trip in the double-digits of range. But from what I'm reading here, once the car's cool, go into range mode to hopefully get an extra buffer...sounds like a good idea. Thanks, all. (If the A/C doesn't keep the car cool enough, though, all bets are off. ;-) )

FYI, the Volt equivalent is ECO and the one I primarily use along with 75F, dash vents, and the right passenger vent close with the left passenger vent pointed toward me.

COMFORT draws over 4kW when you set the temp to well over outside temp. ECO limits it to around 1/2 that.

Attached picture:
Climate_ECO_vents_75F.jpg

That's extremely interesting. My Wh/mile decreased using Range Mode. I wonder what the difference is.

Range mode limits the maximum temperature the a/c can be set to, so it actually uses more power than standard mode. When not plugged in, I start at a high temperature and then gradually lower it as the car cools. Can't do that in Range mode.

Permanently driving in range mode is just not possible here in the summer months (unless you like sweating) but definitely worth trying in winter.
Nigel, I've been using range mode 100% of the time with no problem, as long as I use the app to cool the car before I get in (at least 10 min before). It keeps me perfectly comfortable, even with our crazy temps. And it stays parked in full sun all day.

I tried out range mode for AC yesterday and found I didn't like the slow fan speeds. In normal southern ontario weather it'd be fine but it was full sun and ~30C yesterday. I even had the car precooling for ~5 minutes (it was the hottest I had seen the interior before, mobile app said 49C).