Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S top 100A charging rate dropped from 62 miles to 58 miles per hour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
Didn't seem to find it anywhere here, but is it my imagination or did Tesla drop the rated max speed on a twin charger enabled Model S from 62 miles per hour to 58 miles per hour.

Could just be me being a n00b...

Dennis
My Blog (mainly Active E for now and Tesla stuff as it grows...)
Active E driver with 42,500 miles in 18 months. Roadster #78 when they finally complete PDI (missed the new estimate of Saturday August, 24) Now wondering when we're getting this beauty, waiting for new feedback on the stuff they have to "bring up to CPO standards". The positive aspect of this delayed delivery is that my manual sig line is often longer than my actual posts AND gives me more material for my blog, when I officially announce the arrival of our Signature Green Roadster. Oh and a Tesla Model S modified request to October 2013 (moved up from November because of our ongoing CPO delivery experience) delivery in Blue/Tan WITH Sub-zero Package in Southern California... Because COLD is a relative term.

Didn't seem to find it anywhere here, but is it my imagination or did Tesla drop the rated max speed on a twin charger enabled Model S from 62 miles per hour to 58 miles per hour.

Web site still shows 62:
Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

Did you see 58 somewhere?

(Note that 62 is ideal, at 250V, 80A, which few people are going to see at home - at 80A even my service-panel 248V drops to 242V or so)

FlasherZ is correct, 62 is a "theoretical" maximum, that's nearly impossible to achieve in the real word.
I have a 75A EVSE I built, my unloaded voltage is 240V, when drawing 75A, it drops to 225V (this is after my power company dedicated a transformer that only serves my house). Math: 225V * 75A = 16,875 watts, that's %15.6 less than the theoretical maximum 62 mile rate, which is 250V * 80A, or 20,000 watts. BTW, I get 50 miles/hour with my setup, or %19.3 less than the 62 miles/hour. It would be nearly impossible to get 250V while drawing 80A on most residential electrical services.

If you click on the body of the page.

Especially http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/highpower

It shows 62 above (when you click on the high power charger image) but 58 in the section.

Dennis

Ahh, I see now, all the way at the bottom:

Depending on your home’s electrical system, installing a High Power Wall Connector at maximum amperage (80 amps) may be more difficult than installing a 240 volt outlet (40 amps) due to power availability. A High Power Wall Connector can be set to any amperage level. While you won't charge at the rate of 58 miles of range per hour of charge, you will be able to enjoy the convenience of a sleek, permanently-installed Connector.

Interesting. Perhaps they're revising their numbers based on data collection of all cars - the average value.

I really never liked the fact they used 250V to calculate that, but kW was easier and 10 kW (250V @ 40A) is easier to say than 9.6 kW (240V @ 40A).