Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I don't even have it yet. I pick it up Thursday. Very strange.

I think it was fraud. I should have asked for a badge number and exactly what jurisdiction he was with.

Your phone company should have a fraud department that can trace the phone number. What carrier do you use? Found AT&T here
ATT

service isn't free and not sure if falls into the category they want you to use *57 for anyway. Definitely seems like fraud.

Glad San Diego has such a task force. If they don't have call contact records of having contacted you, then it's a fraud scenario and I'd call into the main Tesla number and ask for some assistance. Fraudsters are smart. They will know how to con someone with money and sound as legit as possible. One possible scenario is they gleaned your number from a document or file or having been in proximity of the Tesla store while sniffing numbers (did you leave your wireless receiver on?). Try to build a list of people who know your number and know. It could be a wild coincidence, but there really is no such thing as a coincidence. There's events that are nearby and related. is the relation a concern? That's someone else's job to figure out. Your job is to report it.

OK but how the heck would one steal a Tesla (and it not be found fast)?

People sometimes leave their key in the car. If a thief knew what they were doing and disabled the remote app setting in the car you couldn't track it. If they put it in an enclosed metal transport carrier even Tesla couldn't track it.

Without the key though, they'd have to be extremely sophisticated hackers to steal it.

Yup in San Diego the heist could easily be to follow an owner, steal the key, nab the car and quickly get to a shipping container and stash it, then load said container on the slow boat to china (literally)

But to what avail?

I always liked the idea that the car is basically unstealable. Of course one can nick it, but the car needs to be serviced regularly, and even without the remote app enabled I thought Tesla was able to track the car anytime, anywhere.

I was just thinking about what I read last week about a freight truck that had been stolen in Germany, and thanks to the onboard tracking system was found (in Latvia) and returned within a few days.
That is one thing I really like about modern vehicles :)

I thought the GPS chip would have a unique signature so Tesla could still track it assuming it wasn't underground.

GPS chips are only receivers, devices that use it require some other transmitter to get location information somewhere. So using the GPS chip, the car determines its location relative to the GPS satellites; through 3G or WiFi, it tells Tesla where it is. Cut off that transmission via 3G or WiFi and no one will know.