Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#34 Salvage auction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any other wrecked roadsters out there for parts? What portion of the rear components are lotus vs tesla? Anybody with some solid advice on what the repair will take? I want this car. I knew the owner and took it to the car show last year. I'm also currently winning the auction and debating how high to bid. Cheers.

Are there any other wrecked roadsters out there for parts? What portion of the rear components are lotus vs tesla? Anybody with some solid advice on what the repair will take? I want this car. I knew the owner and took it to the car show last year. I'm also currently winning the auction and debating how high to bid. Cheers.

Someone finds a wrecked Roadster being sold for salvage every couple of months, check the "Tesla for Sale" subforum. If you end up winning the auction - many people on this forum would love to see a long detailed video of you disassembling and reassembling parts of the car - especially the PEM.

Considering that the charge port was smashed, there's no way they'd be able to keep the battery charged. Only if somehow the system detected a crash / short in the charge system and properly shut down, that would be the only hope there's still life for the battery. Otherwise I'd say its toast.

So back to my question... why'd the airbag deploy? Anyone? Anyone?

...so after looking around I found a Lotus Elise that was hit in the same area on the passenger side, only the passenger side airbag was deployed. So there must be some sensors that get triggered for side impacts.

Last edited:
If the battery was fully charged when it crashed and all systems are down so the car isn't drawing any power then it should be good for a year or so. If they were smart they'd store it in a cool garage instead of letting it bake in the sun, but unfortunately doesn't look like it from the pics.

It's listed since 9 days.
I thought about buying that roadster, as well.
No body parts of the Lotus fit, as far as I can tell. Not sure about the chassis, but the subframe is torn out.

Still thinking about buying it, but the batterie is probably dead :(
It had its accident in March, I guess.

But I want the drivetrain for my Porsche 912 :)

No body parts of the Lotus fit, as far as I can tell. Not sure about the chassis, but the subframe is torn out.

Windshield and top are the same. The tops are interchangeable but I have not heard of anyone swapping the windscreen.

Tesla says 7 percent of the Roadster is Lotus.

- - - Updated - - -

If the car is being parted I can come up with a "nice to have" longer list. (even if this car does not have them) I'm putting dibs in.

Soft top
Coolant overflow bottle
Mud flaps
Carbon fiber wing
Carbon Fiber hood slats
Tesla front badge

The car looked so amazing back before the accident :( Here is a post of when it was for sale from SweetCars:

"Hi guys.

I work for a smaller high-end dealership in Fort Wayne, IN, and we have had a 2008 Tesla Roadster that is #034 with 4779 miles and was formerly Leonardi DiCaprio's car. VIN# is 5YJRE11B381000034

We only have the one, so we're not trying to sell a ton of these, we just want to give you, the enthusiasts, a chance to purchase this beautiful car.

The car has a clean CarFax, shows no accidents, we are the 3rd "owner". It does come with the 240V charger, hardtop, soft-top, and emergency charger.

I will let the pictures do the talking.

We are selling the car for $76,000.

We are willing to ship the car at the buyer's expense, but we will help arrange an enclosed transport at no extra fee.

If I am forgetting something or if you would like more information, please don't hesitate to PM me or call me directly at 260-207-2277. Ask for Tim, I will be more than happy to assist you all.

And now for the pictures:
IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1764-1.jpg

IMG_1759-1.jpg

IMG_1757-1.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg
"

It was LD's car ! Also some of the pics if you look close seem to show the Signature plaque between the seats.

Last edited by a moderator: