Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Certified Body Shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Bay Area, the only body shop I would trust is Chilton Auto Body in San Carlos. They've been working closely with Tesla for years.
They did an excellent job with the custom paint on my Model S and with fixing a couple of scratches and chips. I found the owner Mike Chilton to be very professional and customer-friendly.

I am taking my car for a dent in the hood to a Tesla certified shop next week. They told me the person that was certified by Tesla is on vacation this week. I don't know what happens if the certified person leaves that shop, but at least in my case, it will be the Tesla trained person doing the work.

My Model S is being repaired by a certified shop near the Norristown PA service center. Front driver's side bumper damage that is probably going to end up costing over $10K to fix. I'll post details once the job is done and I have the car back.

Not sure what the shop had to do to qualify but they told me that the Tesla service center checks on the status of the cars in for repairs weekly. I also discovered that they have Tesla chargers in the shop (I had noticed via my iPhone app that my battery had dropped to less than 70 miles range and when I called to mentioned it, before I could ask them to get out my portable charging cords, they said they would plug it in as they had a charger next to where my car was). The three people that I have talked with at the shop all seem to be very knowledgeable about the Tesla and ordering parts from CA. The service center is actually going to pick up the car after it is fixed and check it out to make sure everything is 100%. Clearly something to be said for that level of partnership.

Interesting. Any idea how long this training is? I wonder who the body shop would contact?

Once at Supercar Sunday I had a body shop owner approach our Tesla and say that he was going through the certification process. With only one shop in LA it was getting backed up. He was very excited to be working on Teslas.

Does Effects= VFX?

Since the Tesla is aluminum repairs are not the same as standard steel repairs. Maybe 1 in every 100 shops is equipped for aluminum repairs. Anyone of these shops can do sheet metal repairs.

Then there are structural repairs. An Audi approved welder for the aluminum A8 is not necessarily an approved Tesla welder. So just case they say they are aluminum equipped, doesn't mean they have the right equipment to do structural repairs on a Model S.

Teslas are ONLY approved to be repaired on Carbench jig system. So if the shop has only conventional frame machines, or even Celette jigs, they will NOT be able to do correct structural repairs on your Tesla.