Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Quick questions to lucky Tesla Model S owners in Europe :

1/ What do you use to charge your model S?
How long it takes? Which power?

2/ Are you happy with the car, can you give us your pros and cons?

If people have other questions, they are welcomes :tongue:

Cheers,
Jeff

Hi Jeff

Took delivery 8 / 19

1) Charging on 240/16 amps , waiting for the twin charger to arrive, charging rate now: 47km/ hr
ordered a charger from CrOhm to be able to charge 240/32 amps 3-phase.

2) Happy with the car ? Are you kidding ? I just love this ride. LOL. Best. Car. Ever. Period.

As others pointed out: looks stunning, drives quitely like a Bentley, accelerates like a ( put i your favourite sportscar) has space like a van, best user interface ever, ok i could go on for some time. In short the 4 year wait was worth it.
Cons: Difficult to find enough excuses to drive around ; ))
..and minor glitch with the touchscreen, wich will be exchanged soon.

3) The electricity comes 100% from homegrown solar power (20kW/p) - I d like to know how many owners have their own PV array, or have a supplier who sells electricity from renewable sources ( hydro, wind, solar etc.)

Dear LST,

Thanks for your reply ;-)
Seems that you are the only guy that want to share with us! (The others are still in their Tesla lol LUCKY GUYS!!)

1/ Seems that some get the twin charger with their deliveries... I heard that here on the forum.
How do you plug your car for now? on a single SHCUKO input? Or specific BLUE or RED input?

2/ I tried it and I know what you mean! But you is bigger since it's yours...
How about points that are missing in the car (like the folding exterior mirrors)?

What happened to you touchscreen? does not work anymore or ?

3/Whaou... great! I have (for now) chosen to take a supplier with 100% renewable resources... But would love to install PV.
How big is yours to get 20kw? Is that kw per our?

Thanks for you contribution!

Hi

We pick ours up this Friday in Tilburg and will drive it 1760kms home to Madrid that weekend.

Through my activity in Drive & Dream I am starting to get quite good at organizing complex trips in EVs. This one will be like this:
1) Tilburg - Paris CDG (400km). We charge at the Novotel with a 32A blue socket (single phase)
2) Paris CDG - Futuroscope, Poitiers (350km). We have spoken to PR at Futuroscope and they are preparing a red 32A socket for us and all future visitors.
3) Futuroscope - Bordeaux (260km). The Pullman Hotel is preparing us a red 32A socket.
4) Bordeaux - North of Spain. I have Spain covered as we have organized that the almost 100 Paradores that cover the country (http://www.parador.es) have red 32A sockets for EV visitors. Contact me if you want to tour Spain and I'll organize it for you.

So we should be charging in both red and blue sockets, HOWEVER there was a surprise from Tesla Tilburg on Friday!...

Cars for Southern Europe are supposed to come with a cable ready for blue single-phase 32A sockets. I asked for this and the cable for the red three-phase sockets. On Friday they told me the blue one does not exist!

So now I have to invent an adapter.... Here's my idea (feedback appreciated)... I will take the single phase from the blue plug and feed it to the three pins of the red socket. As long as I limit the current to 32A all should be good right? :)

Hi

We pick ours up this Friday in Tilburg and will drive it 1760kms home to Madrid that weekend.

Through my activity in Drive & Dream I am starting to get quite good at organizing complex trips in EVs. This one will be like this:
1) Tilburg - Paris CDG (400km). We charge at the Novotel with a 32A blue socket (single phase)
2) Paris CDG - Futuroscope, Poitiers (350km). We have spoken to PR at Futuroscope and they are preparing a red 32A socket for us and all future visitors.
3) Futuroscope - Bordeaux (260km). The Pullman Hotel is preparing us a red 32A socket.
4) Bordeaux - North of Spain. I have Spain covered as we have organized that the almost 100 Paradores that cover the country (http://www.parador.es) have red 32A sockets for EV visitors. Contact me if you want to tour Spain and I'll organize it for you.

So we should be charging in both red and blue sockets, HOWEVER there was a surprise from Tesla Tilburg on Friday!...

Cars for Southern Europe are supposed to come with a cable ready for blue single-phase 32A sockets. I asked for this and the cable for the red three-phase sockets. On Friday they told me the blue one does not exist!

So now I have to invent an adapter.... Here's my idea (feedback appreciated)... I will take the single phase from the blue plug and feed it to the three pins of the red socket. As long as I limit the current to 32A all should be good right? :)

Fantastic journey - I plan to travel from the Netherlands to the UK via Calais soon which will be equally challenging.

I have bought a 32amp 3 phase to 16amp 3 phase converter just in case I come across a 32 amp 3 phase supply.
It has a fuse for each phase - just in case. Sounds like you need one of those.

I was expecting Tesla would be able to supply the single phase 32 amp blue plug (have ordered one).

My colleague tells me that you will not be able to use the red 16amp 3 phase UMC plug with a 32amp single phase supply.

(French EV info we found: http://fr.chargemap.com -it's in french but may help you find alternatives)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Dear Marc,

Yes, this is an idea... otherwise you can buy an adapter.
But not sure it worth it...

BTW, nice travel trough France, if you need any help ask! (We have a mutual friend, James ;))

Dear Marc,

Yes, this is an idea... otherwise you can buy an adapter.
But not sure it worth it...

BTW, nice travel trough France, if you need any help ask! (We have a mutual friend, James ;))

You know James? That's cool... he's a great guy.

I think I may need need help!
#1 I only have the blue 32A connector so far in Paris CDG. If someone knew a hotel or place with another kind of socket then I'd be happier because I fear not being able to charge enough for the next morning. Tesla offered their HPC in the Paris store but the HPC to Model S adapter does not exist in the EU!
#2 I am counting on the hotels and futuroscope preparing well the sockets on time but I will be the first one to try them out and if they don't work it may take too long to get an electrician to come and fix.
#3 I now have to build a 32A to 16A adapter (easy enough but something I hadn't counted on).

Also hoping to get a Mennekes cable on time for Friday (from a supplier in Belgium that Tesla Tilburg recommended) but then there's the challenge of using a public charge point if you don't have the correct smartcard to access the service.

Fun fun fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Also don't forget there is a difference between red 16A and red 32A sockets.
(red 16A that Tesla UMC uses is smaller than red 32A)

Good advice. You are right... yet another adapter I have to build :)

You need the other way around, that Conrad cable has the wrong plugs. I think you need to make your own adapter indeed.

I use this cable frequently with the Roadster. In Switzerland the Roadster UMC was fitted with the red CEE 32A plug. So I needed that to be able to charge also from a red 16A CEE socket. I believe the Model S has also - apart from Mennekes - the same 32A plug available and would then need the same adapter to charge from a red 16A plug. The only difference being that the Model S would be able to use all three phases. Of the blue CEE single phase plugs only the 16A ("Camping Plug") is common. The 32A equivalent is not permitted locally.

Nikwest reported that you need no card at Ikea. No cable either : it's attached to the charger, and it's type 2.
just check opening hours and availability on ChargeMap. Don't forget to post about your experience, I can update ChargeMap for you with comments in English for Model S owners.
If you're planning to use A1 motorway, I can offer overnight parking in a private garage, closed and safe, downtown Senlis. You'll even be able to leave your belongings in. You call also plug the Model S I guess, but the plug reads 250v 10A (?). It works, but has never been checked by an electrician.
Senlis is 25 km north of Charles de Gaulle airport.

Last edited:
Hi

I am happy with you, getting the Model S, got mine at the delivery event in Tilburg.

For the Adapters: Be aware, you need a 16A fuse for each phase when you reduce from red CEE32A socket to red CEE16A socket.
You can bulid an adapter from blue 32A to red CEE16A connecting one phase to 2 phases parallel but make sure this adapter cannot be usesed otherwise, the two phases need a two 16A single fuses as well.

Going around in Europe will be much easier with the Model S and 500km range. We have to arrange an international meeting somewhere in southern Europe for Model S and Roadster owners in wintertimes (there are many empty hotels at the wintertimes in Spain)

That is fantastic. I looked at the IKEA web and it says they are in Avignon, Bordeaux, Montpelier, Reims, Rouen, and Tours.
Are they Mennekes connectors?
Did you need a special smart card to make them work?

Marc, Yes, there is for now 11 Ikea Shops that provide charging facilities :

Avignon-Vedène (84)
Bordeaux (33)
Franconville (95)
Montpellier (34)
Paris Nord-Gonesse (95)
Plaisir (78)
Reims-Thillois (51)
Rouen-Tourville la Rivière (76)
Tours (37)
Vélizy-Villacoublay (78)
Villiers sur Marne (94).

You need a free space to park and charge and ask for a Card at the front desk to charge (but not on all Ikea, somes are on free access)
Connectors are ChAdEmo and Type 2 as you can see here : Ikea - Reims : borne de charge rapide Ã* Thillois
All Ikea are with same connectors.

I am happy with you, getting the Model S, got mine at the delivery event in Tilburg.

For the Adapters: Be aware, you need a 16A fuse for each phase when you reduce from red CEE32A socket to red CEE16A socket.
You can bulid an adapter from blue 32A to red CEE16A connecting one phase to 2 phases parallel but make sure this adapter cannot be usesed otherwise, the two phases need a two 16A single fuses as well.

I know I *should* put a 16A fuse on each phase, but if I don't it won't matter will it? :)

Also, I would need to connect the live line in the blue plug to all 3 phases would I not? I ask because you say just 2 phases.

Going around in Europe will be much easier with the Model S and 500km range. We have to arrange an international meeting somewhere in southern Europe for Model S and Roadster owners in wintertimes (there are many empty hotels at the wintertimes in Spain)

I will happily organize this for everyone... There are some fantastic places to the North of Spain where we could meet and charge.

Near the end of September we will have an event in the Toledo Parador to present the charge network and Model S to the press and public. If anyone feels like a trip down then you are more than welcome (let me know via [email protected]).

- - - Updated - - -

Nikwest reported that you need no card at Ikea. No cable either : it's attached to the charger, and it's type 2.
just check opening hours and availability on ChargeMap. Don't forget to post about your experience, I can update ChargeMap for you with comments in English for Model S owners.
If you're planning to use A1 motorway, I can offer overnight parking in a private garage, closed and safe, downtown Senlis. You'll even be able to leave your belongings in. You call also plug the Model S I guess, but the plug reads 250v 10A (?). It works, but has never been checked by an electrician.
Senlis is 25 km north of Charles de Gaulle airport.

I really appreciate this J-Philipp. I am hoping that the Novotel CDG Terminal will have a working 32A blue socket for me at the door, however I need a plan B! If you happen to be driving past CDG it would be comforting to know if the socket actually works :)

Marc, Yes, there is for now 11 Ikea Shops that provide charging facilities :

Avignon-Vedène (84)
Bordeaux (33)
Franconville (95)
Montpellier (34)
Paris Nord-Gonesse (95)
Plaisir (78)
Reims-Thillois (51)
Rouen-Tourville la Rivière (76)
Tours (37)
Vélizy-Villacoublay (78)
Villiers sur Marne (94).

You need a free space to park and charge and ask for a Card at the front desk to charge (but not on all Ikea, somes are on free access)
Connectors are ChAdEmo and Type 2 as you can see here : Ikea - Reims : borne de charge rapide Ã* Thillois
All Ikea are with same connectors.

This is really great. My wife is also pleased as this means we are forced to spend about 5 hours in IKEA (so a normal ikea visit in other words ;) ). The kids aren't so excited of course. I think Futuroscope would have been better but they called me yesterday and said they didn't have a 32A socket anywhere in the park! Frankly, we all know this is not true... an amusement park about the future with all the technology and machines they have there will have hundreds of red and blue sockets all around, but my French isn't good enough to explain this to them :(

Shame, because it would have been a good publicity moment for Futuroscope and Tesla. Their loss.

I
I will happily organize this for everyone... There are some fantastic places to the North of Spain where we could meet and charge.
Near the end of September we will have an event in the Toledo Parador to present the charge network and Model S to the press and public. If anyone feels like a trip down then you are more than welcome (let me know via [email protected]).

Good! Southern France or also Corsica is very nice in wintertime... October/November is the best.
But I love Barcelona too... (For me this is the best City in Northern Spain).

This is really great. My wife is also pleased as this means we are forced to spend about 5 hours in IKEA (so a normal ikea visit in other words ;) ). The kids aren't so excited of course. I think Futuroscope would have been better but they called me yesterday and said they didn't have a 32A socket anywhere in the park! Frankly, we all know this is not true... an amusement park about the future with all the technology and machines they have there will have hundreds of red and blue sockets all around, but my French isn't good enough to explain this to them :(

Shame, because it would have been a good publicity moment for Futuroscope and Tesla. Their loss.

200% agree. Let me try to call them (send me a contact if you have, otherwise I will spray and pray!)

200% agree. Let me try to call them (send me a contact if you have, otherwise I will spray and pray!)

I just DM'd you the contact details.

Good! Southern France or also Corsica is very nice in wintertime... October/November is the best.
But I love Barcelona too... (For me this is the best City in Northern Spain).

Barcelona is awesome, but if you don't know Santander or San Sebastian you should check them out one day too. I'll think about that after this weekend though :)

So I have started publishing our trip info in driveandream.wordpress.com which feeds into facebook (driveandream) and twitter (driveandream). Should I publish the blog entries also on TMC?

Barcelona is awesome, but if you don't know Santander or San Sebastian you should check them out one day too. I'll think about that after this weekend though :)
So I have started publishing our trip info in driveandream.wordpress.com which feeds into facebook (driveandream) and twitter (driveandream). Should I publish the blog entries also on TMC?

Ok, why not, i'm open to discover new areas!
yes, you HAVE TO publish it in a new thread here!