Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White vs Grey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was deciding between the blue and grey, but after visiting the Service center and getting to look all the colors (instead of just two at the mall showroom), I'm now leaning towards the pearl with then black top. The grey is a close second and blue out of the running (too dark for me).

I'm having a hard time deciding, but in the end, I'm pretty sure there is no "wrong" choice. It's an awesome car no matter which I pick.

Tough choice, both are great colors (many great colors, green, blue, multi-red. I have yet to see a brown so that might also be in the mix.)
Mine is grey (which I love), but I ALSO love the pic of the pearl white that Todd has taken (above).

There are no WRONG selections, just lots of tough choices.
Good thing you have already narrowed it down to just TWO colors.
Good Luck!

After seeing all colors in person, if I could get a second one (love my blue and don't regret that decision) I would get the gray with gray interior and carbon fiber accents. Not that I've thought about it or anything.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

I'm still drawn more to the grey...but my last FOUR cars have all been about the same color grey. I'm thinking I'm going to force myself to change it up this time and get the Pearl White. I know I won't regret either choice. Such a first-word dilemma to be faced with!

I too spent way too much time deciding on the color. In the end I went with grey with a black interior. I love all the play on values. I even looked at this from a black and white perspective. Model S Colors in BW | Tesla Owner

My second choice would be pearl white, and I normally think white cars are really really boring, but I like it in the Model S.

I would agree with this sentiment. The Pearl White is a different beast, however. It's not white. It glistens and sparkles and the lines of the car are brilliantly showcased while I found the standard white to be boring.

We were fortunate enough to see, in person, all of the colors. We went to our local Service Center and they literally had every single color sitting in front of the shop - some on the street. It was a nice sunny day so we really got to check them all out. Gray was our second favorite. It really showed the lines of the car and looked so sophisticated. In the end we selected Pearl White.

My first choice always had been black but my wife had complained that it's too much upkeep. The one black car we saw had obviously been left out overnight. There were dust spots everywhere and a fine layer of dust over the whole car. It looked terrible and would have to be immediately washed. That was all I needed to see!

I would agree with this sentiment. The Pearl White is a different beast, however. It's not white. It glistens and sparkles and the lines of the car are brilliantly showcased while I found the standard white to be boring.

We were fortunate enough to see, in person, all of the colors. We went to our local Service Center and they literally had every single color sitting in front of the shop - some on the street. It was a nice sunny day so we really got to check them all out. Gray was our second favorite. It really showed the lines of the car and looked so sophisticated. In the end we selected Pearl White.

My first choice always had been black but my wife had complained that it's too much upkeep. The one black car we saw had obviously been left out overnight. There were dust spots everywhere and a fine layer of dust over the whole car. It looked terrible and would have to be immediately washed. That was all I needed to see!

I totally concur. To my eye, Tesla's gray looks quite nice in bright sunlight, but a little flat otherwise. Pearl white indeed has a sparkle and glow that separates it from plain white.

Both are great choices. I find the grey to be light enough to show off the lines without getting too washed out. That said, I went with blue myself. :)

Oh don't get my wife started on the blue! There was a beautiful blue one under the tent with the owner and DS going through the final checklist and my wife said it was just gorgeous. The sun was hitting it from the side a bit yet under the tent portion it appeared jet black. Completely sparkling.

I told her I thought it was also impressive and she said "same upkeep as black, though - and you'll never keep it clean like it requires" and that was that!

Todd - I look at your pics often to remind myself of what is coming on the 19th!

This may not apply to you but being in FL, I chose pearl white for greater sunshine/heat reflectivity. It also stands out more in a crowd, has a certain glow in certain light situations that is almost ethereal (see Todd Lockwood's pix), doesn't show off dirt or paint defects as readily as dark colors, and provides a good background for any embellishments you may care to add. It is also more visible in poor light which may be a significant safety factor. BTW, I lived in the Chicago area for 25 years, and 3 of the cars I owned there (all Audis) were pearl white.

Last edited:
Pearl White brings out each crease in Tesla's sheet metal. It looks even more striking at night. More interesting than grey for sure.

Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 5.07.17 PM.png

If you live where weather isn't variable--- like the big FL and Cali contingent on here -- the white would be preferable for its reflective capabilities.

But you live in a snowy, dirty, rain-infested locale just like me. Chicago is really just a bigger flatter version of Pittsburgh in many ways (meant as a compliment, btw).

So in the interest of not washing your car on a semi-daily basis and with the acknowledgement that an urban area will ultimately mean door dings and scrapes, I think your long term piece of mind might be best found in silver or grey.

Grey is my preference... and my money is in hand... if I ever get the kind of Tesla infrastructure your fine city already enjoys.