Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any boxes/devices to keep Tesla UMC from getting stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
If you have to charge your Model S in a public garage and have the opportunity to use your UMC instead of paying for a J1772 EVSE is there any good way to secure it from being stolen when you leave (other than taking the cable with you each day)?

Yeah I have been thinking about this issue. My car, which arrives Thurs, will be parked in a designated space in a condo garage. I figure every single time I'm done charging the car with a brand-new NEMA 14-50 outlet installed at the designated space, I'll have to the plug and cable and unplug from the NEMA outlet and stow the thing in the car before driving off. And then when I get home, take it out, and plug in. I don't wanna leave the plug/cable lying around in plain sight, it might walk off some day.

The UMC is locked into your Tesla at the charge port while it is charging (and until you unlock it), so unless someone is willing to damage the UMC and/or the charge port, it will be pretty hard to steal. Are you worried about someone wanting the working UMC itself, or just wanting it for scrap copper or something?

Outside of charging, I would not leave the UMC there by itself in a public place.

Some of the NEMA 14-50 receptacle boxes have locks on them that would prevent the honest folks from unplugging it and taking it away. You could then get a locking cabinet to hold the rest of the UMC when unplugged. There are some pictures of both solutions posted somewhere on TMC.

Another option is to get a HPWC and mount that instead of a NEMA 14-50 outlet. You can configure them for 50amp service, so there's no extra wiring costs involved. You don't need dual chargers either to take advantage of them. In your case it would simply be a beefier UMC that can be bolted to the wall.

The UMC is locked into your Tesla at the charge port while it is charging (and until you unlock it), so unless someone is willing to damage the UMC and/or the charge port, it will be pretty hard to steal. Are you worried about someone wanting the working UMC itself, or just wanting it for scrap copper or something?

Outside of charging, I would not leave the UMC there by itself in a public place.

What I think brianstorms is saying (and what I want as well) is to be able to simply leave the cable on the wall just like you'd do in the security of your garage in a regular house. Only way to do that is to have some way to lock it down or secure it. Someone could always defeat the security but just want to make it more difficult. The car isn't attached to the UMC in the situation I'm describing (you have already driven off but left the UMC hanging on the wall).

Someone posted a solution that consisted of a little rubber "ramp" with a slot in it for the charger cable. The idea is that you place the cable in the slot, then drive the car on top of the device. Can't seem to find the post right now.

Or there's this:

CableLock.jpg

EDIT: Okay, I see the original question was securing the UMC when the car is gone... sorry!

While charging, the UMC body could be placed inside the hatchback/trunk. You would need to make two cuts into the plastic rear lamp housing to house the 2 cables and add some sealing. The result would not look like a security ploy necessarily, thus not needlessly provoking a response. A bit of work to be sure, but if you charge every day with the UMC it might be worth the peace of mind. Also the green light on the UMC would not attract attention.
--