Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical Plan renewal late 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just searched some of the threads. I am due for renewal of my Green mountain Energy plan.

I currently am on a 10.6 cents plan wind energy.

Was just polling the Texas group to see if they have anything better or would recommend.

Thanks!

The wind energy plan is 9.2 cents from TXU. (Yes, I know, TXU is not your friend).

Although I have it, wind energy is something of a scam because what you get is a promise to put an equivalent amount of wind energy back into the grid at some point in the future. (I think they have up to nine months to do so, although I have no idea how anyone would prove that they did or didn't.)

If you have ANY decent southern exposure, you need to get on SolarCity.com ASAP. Take 2 minutes and insert your address, electric bills totals, and monthly usage.

Our first "bill" after our SolarCity install was an $18 CREDIT from Green Mountain (they pay 100% back on all energy you put on the grid, up to 500 kWh; after that it's 80% of the "retail" rate).

Call me for questions or for more details, of if you want to see our PV system (but that's pretty boring--it just sits there and makes money for us). If you have a Tesla, or are getting one, this is a no-brainer.

Mark Peters
Hurst, TX

If you have ANY decent southern exposure, you need to get on SolarCity.com ASAP. Take 2 minutes and insert your address, electric bills totals, and monthly usage.

Our first "bill" after our SolarCity install was an $18 CREDIT from Green Mountain (they pay 100% back on all energy you put on the grid, up to 500 kWh; after that it's 80% of the "retail" rate).

Call me for questions or for more details, of if you want to see our PV system (but that's pretty boring--it just sits there and makes money for us). If you have a Tesla, or are getting one, this is a no-brainer.

Mark Peters
Hurst, TX

Mark,

I already have a solar panel on top of my roof and put it back into the grid. I'm in a brownstone type of home so don't have a lot of room for more panels.

Thanks for the suggestion though but already doing it!

- - - Updated - - -

The wind energy plan is 9.2 cents from TXU. (Yes, I know, TXU is not your friend).

Although I have it, wind energy is something of a scam because what you get is a promise to put an equivalent amount of wind energy back into the grid at some point in the future. (I think they have up to nine months to do so, although I have no idea how anyone would prove that they did or didn't.)

hmmm might look into that! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Damn...when I go to TXU's website, that plan isn't available here.

My green mountain wind that I renewed in June is 9.3 cents.
They also have an EV rate which was around 10.2 cents.
Haggle with them if you can get a rep with a clue (the first one I talked to didn't).

Did that. Solar City uses just about any excuse not to do installations in Texas. In my case they said Texas has a law that doesn't let them put solar panels on a roof more than 23 degree slope (memory here), mine was 2 degrees too high. I wasn't impressed at all.

Did that. Solar City uses just about any excuse not to do installations in Texas. In my case they said Texas has a law that doesn't let them put solar panels on a roof more than 23 degree slope (memory here), mine was 2 degrees too high. I wasn't impressed at all.

Solar City put panels on my roof and I'm in Dallas (which I suspect you know since we've met IRL LOL). It was a bit of a long process due to all the permitting, but I should be able to turn them on this week. They look great. Sorry it didn't work out for you though.

Solar City put panels on my roof and I'm in Dallas (which I suspect you know since we've met IRL LOL). It was a bit of a long process due to all the permitting, but I should be able to turn them on this week. They look great.

That's great. I did have them out a year ago and thay didn't seem to have a problem then but their price was more than I thought it should be. I think the problem was that they didn't want me purchasing the Model S and then putting in a Solar panel at the same time. Or maybe I just got a hold of the wrong person.

That's great. I did have them out a year ago and thay didn't seem to have a problem then but their price was more than I thought it should be. I think the problem was that they didn't want me purchasing the Model S and then putting in a Solar panel at the same time. Or maybe I just got a hold of the wrong person.

Huh. Not sure why that would be. Weird. They are totally separate publicaly held companies...

Huh. Not sure why that would be. Weird. They are totally separate publicaly held companies...

Well, when I was purchasing the Model S, I thought I'd give them a second chance. So I also asked them about a 14-50. First they said no because it was in Texas, then I asked if they would do it if they also installed solar, they hemmed and hawed a bit and said they would look into it. then they came back with the roof angle. (In talking to other solar installers, I found they had never heard of this law.)

Well, when I was purchasing the Model S, I thought I'd give them a second chance. So I also asked them about a 14-50. First they said no because it was in Texas, then I asked if they would do it if they also installed solar, they hemmed and hawed a bit and said they would look into it. then they came back with the roof angle. (In talking to other solar installers, I found they had never heard of this law.)

When did you call them? I called them in April and they were nothing but helpful. I also called them at some point about installing my plug but realized they just would sub-contract it out anyway. I ended up going with a local electrician. My install was so simple I could have done it myself. I just don't like working with lethal amps and when installing for an expensive car, I wanted a pro job.

Anyway, sorry you had that experience. It was light year different than mine. I can tell you the work crew that installed mine was from Florida. I suspect they are really ramping up efforts to get any many installations as possible. So perhaps they would be more friendly now...

I have started my research project for the Summer and have been having an on-going conversation(s) with Sun City.
A mostly one-sided conversation, because they make points and "exceptions", and then I responded back.
They have been less-than-responsive, for several points (roof angle NOT being one of them).

They sent me a plan of the roof initially (80-85% for existing use), and I made some suggestions how to maximize the number of Solar Panels on both the South and West Orientations.
They did revised scheme (per my request to achieve 100%), adding a number of panels with an adjusted configuration, but I think the roof area could be further maximized (if that makes any sense). Would like to hear anyone else's comments about the correct percentage to achieve.
I also have a shed in the back yard, which could hold another six panels, and they did NOT indicate installing any on its roof area. I re-addressed this with him.
Uhm, no response.

#1. My house has an older screw-in type fuse electrical panel. Yes it is old, I have professional relationships/contacts that can provide and install a new electrical panel and possible sub-panel(s). I have just had them install a new NEMA 40-15 outlet next to the sub-panel in the garage.
#2. My house has existing 3-phase power. They:

"have issues connecting solar system in 3-phase panels. Solar City reports they cannot install on homes with 3-phase panels. To my knowledge, they are old and outdated panels that do not work well with new technology like the solar inverters."
"This revelation puts a major roadblock ahead of going solar."

Per their request, I sent them photos of my existing electrical panel.
I told them that (my understanding is) most of Europe is 3-phase, and Elon has stated that he prefers 3-phase. They suggested I would need to pay to have the power re-configured to my house (converting from 3-phase to single phase) by the power company. They have yet to get back with me on that issue.
I need to know THAT requirement before I have the electrical panel reconfigured to a modern panel.
#2A. A colleague of mine at work researched and located information for a 3-phase inverter and I forwarded it to them. I don't know if is sized correctly (or not): they are the experts, not me.
#3. They based the houses capacity on the billing information I gave them. I told them several times, "I have a new electric car, and gave him the amount of miles I drive daily. It's use is not included in any of the previous years billing cycles. So how do you (they) know what the correct percentages of projected use will be?
#4. They suggested I needed to cut down or trim some of my MATURE trees (bad strategy.) I did volunteer that two of the trees adjacent to the house could be trimmed, but he was not specific if that would be his satisfaction.

There were other questions (heat transmission from panels into roof, purchasing the system and having a net Zero usage from the grid, performance specification for PV panels, warranty information for panels an other components, etc.) I asked them to clarify and they also skirted addressing.

Guess I need to look locally, to get someone who is in the same time zone and will be more responsive and have less initial objections to my existing electrical system.

Summer is waning, it's going to be cooler soon, I need to refocus on best approach to accomplish my next goal.

Re: Jerry33's comment from Solar City about the roof angle. THAT is both interesting and original. I'll take that under advisement.