Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripping cd's using FLAC on an imac

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The method I use is to import the CD into iTunes than drag the imported "album" to the desktop and then over to Max Max from sbooth.org a free converter that I then convert to flac files. This way I keep the original 16/44khz bit rate of the CD. Probably can drag the imported CD directly to MAX, however I like putting it on my desktop first.

I have ripped about 1500 CD's using uncompressed FLAC (using dbpoweramp) which does the artwork that wav files do not. They all fit comfortably on my 2TB portable hard drive (formatted FAT32) which I put in one of the USB slots. The advantage of uncompressed FLAC or wav files is the sound quality, much better than 256K or other compressed formats. With portable HD's so cheap - mine was $115 on sale at Costco last week for a 2TB version, there is no need to compress files. Also if you have or will ever get a good home stereo system with a good DAC, you will have the source to play the original CD's already done - no need to rerip.

I have ripped about 1500 CD's using uncompressed FLAC (using dbpoweramp) which does the artwork that wav files do not. They all fit comfortably on my 2TB portable hard drive (formatted FAT32) which I put in one of the USB slots. The advantage of uncompressed FLAC or wav files is the sound quality, much better than 256K or other compressed formats. With portable HD's so cheap - mine was $115 on sale at Costco last week for a 2TB version, there is no need to compress files. Also if you have or will ever get a good home stereo system with a good DAC, you will have the source to play the original CD's already done - no need to rerip.

i second this, FLAC sounds great, supports tags and album art embedded, and the codec is FREE