Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick poll. Trying to weigh the value proposition of S85 vs. P85 against the $10K price difference. What does the community think, worth it? If so please share your thoughts on why and what options you'd trade away to offset the cost increase.

Related question, is the Plus package a significant improvement over a straight P85?

Quick poll. Trying to weigh the value proposition of S85 vs. P85 against the $10K price difference. What does the community think, worth it? If so please share your thoughts on why and what options you'd trade away to offset the cost increase.

Related question, is the Plus package a significant improvement over a straight P85?
I've bantered this in my mind for the Model X. I plan on keeping it a long long time. Averaging out that $10K with that in mind is a good deal to me and currently plan on getting a P85 AWD Model X.

I think the P85 "launch" with 4-6 people from 0-45 (speed limit) would be cool (over the S85).

Last edited:
S85 is quite spirited. So do you really need to launch at 0.8 G instead of 0.6 G? And if you do, the next question is whether higher speed cornering is worth the high cost of 21 inch wheels and very frequent tire replacements. For me, lust says "spend the money" but truthfully I will not get meaningful use out of that expense.

I was in the same boat for a while there and was leaning towards S85 until the recent price hick. All of a sudden all the standard P85 options start costing $$$. So for strictly value and not leaving anything on the table I decided to go with P85. It's a long story but if you add air suspension, spoiler, carbon fiber, interior upgrades, etc... the difference isn't too bad. Plus I figured the resell value would be great.
Oddly enough I left out the 21's because that's a lot of money for wheels + I may want to choice my own wheels.

Depends on what you're used to driving but can't go wrong with going all out for a P85+! I would have opted for it if it was available back when I was ordering my P85. Though replacing the stock 21" wheels with wider wheels (9" front, 10.5" in the back) drastically improved the handling on my Model S. So that could be another option if you don't want the entire P85+ package.

Wow! A really subjective question. For me, I test drove both and IMHO the P85 was definitely not worth the premium. The S85 is already stupid fast. The only thing I missed was the upgraded Performance interior, but you can now order that independent of the Performance package. My 2-cents.

The p85 is pretty awesome, I love mine on the road. Blows everyone away when you show it to them.

If you end up taking it to a track though you might be disappointed as it limits power after only ~1 lap. The S85 appears to not limit power as quickly I think I saw someone say that they got 4 laps before power limits kicked in.

- Do you take it to the track? P85+
- Do you want a comfortable touring car? S85
I would adjust as follows:
- Do you take it to the track? P85+
- Do you take it to the track only to drag race? P85
- Do you want a comfortable touring car? Any Model S
- Do you want a comfortable touring car with the most cushioned ride? 19" wheels and air suspension

I'm about two months away from taking delivery of my Model S. But I've been a reservation holder since May of 2012, and a fan since October of 2011. So I've pondered this question for well over a year, and have asked many owners face-to-face what they think.

Without fail, almost all of them responded something like this "Get the standard 85 unless you really, really want the performance." Myself I've decided to get the standard 85... one of my friends got a 60 and I was very impressed with the performance, so the 85 should be that much more impressive. Obviously, if you can afford to buy almost anything, get the P85. But if you don't want the extra payment per month, and the frequent tire changes, just get the standard.

If you want to add better handling just get wider rear wheels in 19"

I might not have gotten the P if I had to get my car today, pricing is different and options too ($18K more for my same car). I love mine and am super glad I have it. I do use the extra Pness of it all the time too!
If I didn't get the P, I might not be racing my S and it is really, really fun.
My test drive was in a P so I never drove a regular S and only rode in one at the 'Test ride event'

My thoughts are that I want to keep this car for a long time and try to hit 1000000 miles in it before she rests and then I'll drive/fly my other Tesla, whatever it will be

I'm about two months away from taking delivery of my Model S. But I've been a reservation holder since May of 2012, and a fan since October of 2011. So I've pondered this question for well over a year, and have asked many owners face-to-face what they think.

Without fail, almost all of them responded something like this "Get the standard 85 unless you really, really want the performance." Myself I've decided to get the standard 85... one of my friends got a 60 and I was very impressed with the performance, so the 85 should be that much more impressive. Obviously, if you can afford to buy almost anything, get the P85. But if you don't want the extra payment per month, and the frequent tire changes, just get the standard.

Congrats! I know you've been thinking about this for a very long time so am glad you were able to make this work out.