Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official opening of SuperChargers in Norway Aug 30th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
An official e-mail from Tesla invites Norwegian customers to the offical opening of 6 Supercharging stations throughout Norway on Friday August 30th.

Tesla have shown tremendous follow-through on getting these stations approved, built and ready in such short time. Actually quite amazing considering bureaucracy etc.

The stations and official inaugration times are (all Friday Aug 30th):

DOMBÅS
11:00

LILLEHAMMER
13:30

AURLAND
10:20

GOL
12:45

LYNGDAL
10:00

CINDERELLA
12:50

Does anyone know what the max power output of those is? 120kw?

Not known, not testet by users yet. Not confirmed nor denied if the EU charge port can handle 120kW. Here is a photo of the label on the SC:
supr.jpg

Not known, not testet by users yet. Not confirmed nor denied if the EU charge port can handle 120kW. Here is a photo of the label on the SC:
View attachment 29027
The Mennekes connector for the EU Tesla Model S has four high current pins. I wonder if Tesla has configured them as two power and two ground for DC. Each pin is rated at 125 A so a limit of 210 A for a pair is reasonable. Unfortunately this will limit EU cars to 86 kW or less for charging. The 120 kW Supercharger will have more power to share if two cars are present but the charge time is limited by the connector.

The Mennekes connector for the EU Tesla Model S has four high current pins. I wonder if Tesla has configured them as two power and two ground for DC. Each pin is rated at 125 A so a limit of 210 A for a pair is reasonable. Unfortunately this will limit EU cars to 86 kW or less for charging. The 120 kW Supercharger will have more power to share if two cars are present but the charge time is limited by the connector.

Check the 3-phase EU thread. The inlet has been measured to have 46 mm deep holes instead of 40 mm (common Mennekes type 2 inlet). No one has seen an actual EU supercharger male plug. There could be other differences to increase contact area and hence max current.

Check the 3-phase EU thread. The inlet has been measured to have 46 mm deep holes instead of 40 mm (common Mennekes type 2 inlet). No one has seen an actual EU supercharger male plug. There could be other differences to increase contact area and hence max current.

But the 120 kW Supercharger label says the "output" is limited to 210 Amps.

So unless this is for each of the two pins the 86 kW limit would apply.

If they did improve the pins to support 210 A each then you could support 172 kW (?) based on the connector.

But the 120 kW Supercharger label says the "output" limited to 210 Amps.

So unless this is for each of the two pins the 86 kW limit would apply.

If they did improve the pins to support 210 A each then you could support 172 kW (?) based on the connector.

Not sure about that. What I'm saying is I'm pretty sure that I've read that the markings on the current US superchargers say exactly the same thing, namely "Output current: 210A continuous". However, there has been no talk from Tesla about replacing the physical chargers as they increase the charge rate to 120kW. And the Voltage must stay the same since that is the voltage of the battery pack as a whole. So the only conclusion is that the superchargers can deliver well over 210A continuously, right?

Not sure about that. What I'm saying is I'm pretty sure that I've read that the markings on the current US superchargers say exactly the same thing, namely "Output current: 210A continuous". However, there has been no talk from Tesla about replacing the physical chargers as they increase the charge rate to 120kW. And the Voltage must stay the same since that is the voltage of the battery pack as a whole. So the only conclusion is that the superchargers can deliver well over 210A continuously, right?

Yes, the US superchargers say the same thing. The amount of time that it's charging above 210A may be short enough that it's not considered continuous.

It has been said this label is identical on the US superchargers
From existing pictures of the "Supercharger 120"s installed in the US, the specs on the label are exactly the same line for line:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...r-Launch/page3?p=202717&viewfull=1#post202717
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Update/page10?p=313192&viewfull=1#post313192

Anyways, congratulations to all those in Norway. Having 6 superchargers at once really is a pretty big accomplishment.

OK, so here are fresh off the press snapshots of the actual plug of an EU superchargers. No measeurements (dimensions) yet.

I personally like the thickness of the whole thing, both the contactors and the cable. Looks like it can carry some significant current!

Credit goes to user KnutGol from the Norwegian forum (he lives close to the Gol supercharger)

sc1.png

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

As a Florida MS owner, I am jealous of the all at once roll out. By the end of Aug you will have more SCs than we have and I am reasonably certain we have more cars.
As a shareholder, I am very excited that Tesla is hitting the European market over the head with a big hammer in showing them that MS is real and distance travel is a reality provided there is demand.
Nicely done Tesla.