Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who needs a bike (trike) rack with the room in this car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to head on vacation to Emerald Isle North Carolina, where I've been in the habit of doing 30-40 miles a day on my recumbent bike and trike. I have a Challenge Fujin SL two-wheeler and a Challenge Trike. This year I'm taking just the trike. Here's a photo of it on the rack for my now-departed Chevy Volt. At first I thought that I'd not be able to take it with me this year because I don't have a hitch for my Model S. But then I folded down the rear seat and took some measurements. Much to my surprise it will fit -- that's a cavern back there with the rear seats down.

DSC_1370.JPG

As the photo indicates, it's a large machine: about 80" long, 34" high at the top of the seat back, and 32" wide at the two front wheels. With the seat removed from the bike (only two bolts to do that) and the rear seats of the Model S folded down I can roll the bike into the car rear wheel first and it will fit easily. When I load it in the car Saturday am I'll take an post a few photos.

BTW, this thing is a blast to ride. It's fast, incredibly comfortable to ride (especially for someone with a bad back like me), and very aerodynamic for a bike.

Agreed. The space in the back is the reason I bought the car....I prefer to put my tri bike in the car. I don't even own a rear rack. Happy riding and I can't wait to see what other mods you will dream up on vacation, lol.

artsci,
I really hope to hear back from you on this.
Can you follow up on this post on recumbent trikes in Tesla?
We have 2 ICE trikes. My xseam is 51", do you think yours is anywhere near this?
Could we get 2 unfolded trikes in the back? If not, any issues with two folded and the seats?

Currently in a VW Jetta. My drum brakes allow easy quick release of wheels to get folded trike in the back but the other trike has disc brakes, have to use a rack on the back.

Could a folded trike with 20" wheels fit in the frunk?

Care to post a pic with yours in the back?

Thank you for your assistance as I am approaching the order S vs X crossroads fast...

artsci,
I really hope to hear back from you on this.
Can you follow up on this post on recumbent trikes in Tesla?
We have 2 ICE trikes. My xseam is 51", do you think yours is anywhere near this?
Could we get 2 unfolded trikes in the back? If not, any issues with two folded and the seats?

Currently in a VW Jetta. My drum brakes allow easy quick release of wheels to get folded trike in the back but the other trike has disc brakes, have to use a rack on the back.

Could a folded trike with 20" wheels fit in the frunk?

Care to post a pic with yours in the back?

Thank you for your assistance as I am approaching the order S vs X crossroads fast...

My Xseam is much less but don't recall precisely. I'm 5'8" if that helps. But you can push the boom all the way in to provide more clearance. The chain will come loose but that's manageable.

A folded trike should easily fit.

I'll post some photos of my Challenge trike in the Model S later today.

Can you follow up on this post on recumbent trikes in Tesla? ... We have 2 ICE trikes. ... Could we get 2 unfolded trikes in the back? If not, any issues with two folded and the seats? ... Could a folded trike with 20" wheels fit in the frunk? ... Care to post a pic with yours in the back?
I have an ICE Vortex, and it fits inside, unfolded, but just barely ... the passenger seat needs to be folded all the way forward, rendering it useless ... the rear wheel drops into the rear passenger footwell, allowing enough clearance to leave the seat on, and has the added benefit of "locking" the bike in place by preventing it from rolling back and forth ... one, obviously, fits when folded ... don't know about two ... but even folded it won't fit in the frunk ... full disclosure: I admit I haven't actually tried it, but I did some quick measurements and it's nowhere near close enough to even bother trying

IMG_0001.JPG

I'm about to head on vacation to Emerald Isle North Carolina.
This is off-thread-topic - but how do you handle the charging on a trip to Emerald Isle? I'm guessing you charge in Rocky Mount. But where do you charge at Emerald Isle? We'd be coming from Raleigh-Durham area, which means basically a full charge to get there (and to get back), and I wasn't confident I'd be able to get that much charge there. Thus we're going to the outer banks this year!

This is off-thread-topic - but how do you handle the charging on a trip to Emerald Isle? I'm guessing you charge in Rocky Mount. But where do you charge at Emerald Isle? We'd be coming from Raleigh-Durham area, which means basically a full charge to get there (and to get back), and I wasn't confident I'd be able to get that much charge there. Thus we're going to the outer banks this year!

Last year there was no supercharger at Rocky Mount. So it was a two-day trip for me, with an overnight stop at an RV Park in Roanoke Rapids. With SC at Rocky Mount it will be one day this year.

There's an RV park at the intersection of Coast Guard Road and Emerald Drive. I fully charged there for a modest fee when I first arrived. As we don't do much driving when we're there, a 120v outlet at the house maintains the charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Well hopefully you have an espresso machine mod in the works so we can all make use of it at TMC Connect in a few weeks. Provided you're making that huge journey by car, of course. :wink:

My Model S expresso machine will not only make coffee but produce regen when it's in latte mode.

Thanks for the pics and feedback. I think I need to take both my trikes to the dealer and see if I can fit them inside when folded.
Plymouth NC has another SC between outerbanks and Rocky Mount, good for OBX, not so much for Emerald Isle, Morehead City area.
Also, I should give a shameless plug for someone that shows up on Airbnb/Recargo/Plugshare just north of Greenville NC that has a Nema 14-50 charger. A trike friendly bed n breakfast!

I took my two trikes for a test ride. They folded easily, went in the S with the rear seats down. I did not put the seats in as it seemed like I would soil or bruise the interior.
Stability of the two would have to be worked out but this is very doable.
I forgot to get a pic.
Tesla Owner advisor Joe Risl in Raleigh was very accommodating.

Ordered a Carbontrike Race SL a few weeks ago. It's made in Sweden and will be delivered in December (my Christmas present to my self:). It features a carbon fiber monocoque frame and weighs about 25 lbs, extremely light for a trike. As I'll be hauling around frequently on my Model S I relented I got an Ecohitch which will be installed next week. I'll be doing a lot more riding with this trike.

carbontrikes_aero_right.jpg

I'm intrigued as to how one mounts that thing on a hitch mount!
PS/ Thanks for your reply up-thread to my question on getting to Emerald Isle. We haven't made it out to Emerald Isle yet with our MS, but did go to the Outer Banks last year, in large part due to the Plymouth SC.
Ordered a Carbontrike Race SL a few weeks ago. It's made in Sweden and will be delivered in December (my Christmas present to my self:). It features a carbon fiber monocoque frame and weighs about 25 lbs, extremely light for a trike. As I'll be hauling around frequently on my Model S I relented I got an Ecohitch which will be installed next week. I'll be doing a lot more riding with this trike.