Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Integration Starting to Show up in Google Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the android version, for that matter. I think, however, it is unlikely to happen any time soon because T Maps is well behind G Maps, by at least 2 revisions. T maps is tile based and Android G Maps has been vector based for a long time now (iOS version more recently).

Hope not... I've had countless bad routing from Waze in many cities from LA to Oklahoma City to DC. It simply cannot be trusted.

I almost never use Waze but the traffic reporting feature is good though, isn't it? The way traffic is on the Model S now it does little good until you are in the middle of the traffic and can't do anything about it.

Ok, baseline question ... as I have asked people this for years and never gotten a good reply.

How do ANY of the mapping providers, when they integrate traffic, get their traffic data?

Sensors on the road ... impossible.

I've always assume it is somehow related to cellular / mobile traffic RF. But then how would the services differentiate between a pedestrian (2mph), someone sitting down and a car doing 50?

So, if I am really asking a stupid question ... forgive me ... yet again ... but just how do they know?

Actually, some roads do have sensors. I'm not sure if they're embedded in the pavement or (more likely) based on some software using traffic cams as an input. The Gardiner Expressway in Toronto has this technology, and my former Cadillac could pick this up through its XM Traffic interface.

In other instances, YOU are the sensor. Many of the smartphone apps "phone home" with your data on speed, direction etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I love Waze. It shows where the police are and where there's trouble like stalled cars, etc. It's not 100% accurate but it's better than just traffic info.

Because it's crowdsourced, it relies on other Waze users providing input. I have found on the routes I take there may be one other Waze user 15 miles from me, and that's about it.

An ideal solution would pull from multiple sources and aggregate it all into one view.

Actually, some roads do have sensors. I'm not sure if they're embedded in the pavement or (more likely) based on some software using traffic cams as an input. In other instances, YOU are the sensor. Many of the smartphone apps "phone home" with your data on speed, direction etc.

Usually the sensors are roadside microwave detectors, some mounted next to video traffic cams. Many sensors are apparently privately owned and then the data sold to Garmin, XM, Google, etc. They also buy data from fleet vehicles. More recently, as @mknox says, more and more data is becoming crowd-sourced and putting the private data sellers out of business! (When you agree to have your position known to Google or others you may be automatically agreeing to allow it to be part of the crowd-sourced dataset).

Usually the sensors are roadside microwave detectors, some mounted next to video traffic cams. Many sensors are apparently privately owned and then the data sold to Garmin, XM, Google, etc. They also buy data from fleet vehicles. More recently, as @mknox says, more and more data is becoming crowd-sourced and putting the private data sellers out of business! (When you agree to have your position known to Google or others you may be automatically agreeing to allow it to be part of the crowd-sourced dataset).

Tesla could sell them our data...