Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan sound at startup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, for the last three weeks or so since I've had my car, I've noticed that when I start it up, the first 90 seconds or so, there's a loud whirring sound. I called the service center and they said it's normal and most ICE cars do it, we just don't hear it because it's part of normal engine noise. So, my solution has been to leave the climate off, until I start driving, then immediately turn it on. For some reason it doesn't make any noise after I'm driving even speeds as low as 1-2 mph while I'm still pulling out of my parking space.

I didn't know if you guys were having this issue too, but if so, hopefully this address your issue. YMMV.

Yes, that's normal. I don't know if that happens when heating the car, but certainly happens when you get in the car and cooling starts.

When exiting the car, the AC continues to run for a minute or two and in our humid summer this means a small pool of water under the car which stains the garage floor and makes it slippery. We got into the habit of turning the AC off when exiting the car, that fixes the water issue but also fixes the start-up whirring assets turn the AC once we start moving (like you do).

The other alternative is that we pre-cool the car when it's parked outside, that also avoids the whirring start up.

I hear a loud whirring sound every day when I press the brake for the first time after the car hasn't been driven for a few hours. There's some resistance from the brake pedal as well. This is ostensibly the brake pump "waking up" (according to Doug_G on another thread).

The sound can't be heard again for the duration of the drive even when the brakes are engaged. The climate control is off throughout and isn't a factor.

I've been assuming that this is normal. Can someone confirm?

I hear a loud whirring sound every day when I press the brake for the first time after the car hasn't been driven for a few hours. There's some resistance from the brake pedal as well. This is ostensibly the brake pump "waking up" (according to Doug_G on another thread).

The sound can't be heard again for the duration of the drive even when the brakes are engaged. The climate control is off throughout and isn't a factor.

I've been assuming that this is normal. Can someone confirm?

Yes, I get that myself. I'm sure it's the power brake vacuum pump. Oddly, when the car was new(er) the brakes retained "power" overnight (as had all my previous ICE cars), but now the pedal is "stiff" in the morning until that pump starts up.

Yes, I get that myself. I'm sure it's the power brake vacuum pump. Oddly, when the car was new(er) the brakes retained "power" overnight (as had all my previous ICE cars), but now the pedal is "stiff" in the morning until that pump starts up.

Cool. Thanks! And, as I recall, the transition happened practically overnight when I moved from either 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.3; it was firmware related, for sure.

Cool. Thanks! And, as I recall, the transition happened practically overnight when I moved from either 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.3; it was firmware related, for sure.

My car hasn't shown this tendency... yet. But only 4300 miles on it at the moment and 10 + weeks old.

Regarding fan noise, none occurs if the car isn't hot. Of course if it is hot outside, I do believe I get the fan on the motherboard to kick in occasionally, along with the AC system, which can induce vibration in the steering wheel until it comes off high.

Hat to revive an old thread, but I'm getting fan noise with all climate controls off anytime I wake the car by opening the door. Video attached, should I mention this to service?

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52d2JIeFVITEtlWWc/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Hat to revive an old thread, but I'm getting fan noise with all climate controls off anytime I wake the car by opening the door. Video attached, should I mention this to service?

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52d2JIeFVITEtlWWc/view?usp=sharing[/video]

That does sound unusual/unhealthy. Only ever heard battery-cooling fans going like that when supercharging after driving the battery hard in hot weather.