Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I jump start an ICE car with the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would happen if I connect another car to the 12V battery posts and try to jump start the ICE car? Is this OK to do?

No. The ModelS 12V battery is far too small to crank an ICE. At best it just won't work; quite possibly you'll damage something.

In theory, you could use the ModelS to attempt to charge the ICE's battery - connect for a while with the ModelS powered up, then disconnect before cranking - though I am not sure I recommend this either.

No. The ModelS 12V battery is far too small to crank an ICE. At best it just won't work; quite possibly you'll damage something.

In theory, you could use the ModelS to attempt to charge the ICE's battery - connect for a while with the ModelS powered up, then disconnect before cranking - though I am not sure I recommend this either.
Your suggestion is my initial thought as well. However, I wonder if you could overload the 12V circuit by doing so.

The ICE cars battery will probably suck in 50 or 60 Amps and I don't know if the 12V circuit in Model S is capable of that.

IF you decide to try and jump start an ICE, indeed, connect the cables for 10 ~ 15 minutes and try starting the ICE on it's own.

No, but it has a cigarette lighter power outlet.
In the strange world that we live in, someone is yet to come up with a different plug standard for 12V DC.
Why? Just to be different? Would you like a CHAdeMO or SAE 12V alternative instead? Do we really want an artificial standard just because something has the word "cigarette" in the name sometimes used?

The big problem with this is that if the other car attempts to start it will damage the Model S. If you must try this take the keys from the other driver. However, the best way is to carry a jumpstart kit that includes it's own battery. They are not very expensive and you can use it to start your Model S in case the 12V battery is drained.

The Model S has a cigarette lighter?

You can try one of those cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter type things. They are quite slow. Not certain it will work and the impact on the battery pack and/or 12V battery.

No, but it has a cigarette lighter power outlet.

In the strange world that we live in, someone is yet to come up with a different plug standard for 12V DC.

A similar issue was discussed regarding jump starting a vehicle with a Ford C-Max Energi (and Priuses). See Maintaining an adequate charge on the 12V battery when using EV Now mode virtually exclusively - Batteries & Charging - Ford C-Max Energi Forum
Posters stated that it was unnecessary to “jump start” or crank many modern cars. This process was described as hopping, rather than jumping. That is, due to computerization, starting the recipient car can be more of a reboot than a jump. They recommended buying a small jumper unit that connects the 12v power outlets of the vehicles. See http://www.pepboys.c...ls/19620/00106/
I bought the recommended 12v lead-acid battery charger (Peak Performance Car-To-Car Jump Start/Charger). The unit appears to accumulate power from the donor vehicle and use that power to charge the recipient battery, rather than to directly crank the recipient vehicle. The instructions warn that if the recipient vehicle has on-board computerized systems, they may be damaged. The Pep Boys salesman told me that he had no experience with the device, but they do not get returned. I bought two, one to carry in my plug-in Energi and one to carry in my hybrid Lexus. I have never had to use one for any reason.

As for damage to the car, I doubt it, but am not willing to try it on my MS either. :biggrin: Most DC-DC converters like this have a current limit function that will keep any damage from happening.

For example, the Prius HV to 12V, DC-DC converter is rated at up to 100A. Several Prius owners, including myself, have installed AC inverters on the 12V line with large connections to get backup power up to 1000W. Turns out the Prius with inverter has efficiency comparable to one of the Honda inverter generators and a gas tank that can run the output for days. If the DC-DC converter in the MS is of a comparable size to the Prius, then the HV battery in the MS would also support this kind of backup power for days. This is just a thought for me; I have other backup power solutions.

Manual doesn't even have the procedure for "jump starting" the Model S itself, so you can pretty much forget about jump starting other vehicles. Most hybrid owners won't jump start other vehicles because the 12V batteries on board are typically tiny (easy to damage them) and it's unknown if the DC-to-DC converter can handle the power (without blowing a fuse somewhere). The best you can do is to charge the other car's battery with your car on for 10-15 minutes and disconnect before they attempt to start.

But it's probably much quicker for them to just ask someone else with a conventional 12V battery for help or if you carry one of those external battery chargers (I have one for my ICE and it's probably a good idea for Model S owners to have one too).

Hey, what a good idea! The 12v cigarette plug is a horrible plug. I wonder is anyone is working on a new car standard plug?

For several years now, I've been writing various auto manufacturers asking for just this thing. Just a small barrel plug like laptops and other electronic items have. Being smaller, I would like to see them distributed all over the interior, not just under the dash as with cigarette lighter plugs. Rear seat area for the kids, two or three along the headliner above the windshield for dash cams, GPS units, couple more at the base of the A-pillars, etc. It would sure cut down on the cord-clutter.

It would be necessary for electronic gadget makers to adapt to the new standard, but it should be easy to make adapters for older units, or ones that want to stick to the big lighter plug version.