Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife Persuasion Assistance Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a long time lover/follower of Tesla and the Model S and I'm hopefully going to be pulling the trigger on the car sometime in September. I've been trying to find time to get down to the Old Orchard store with the wife to get her in the car for a test drive and so she can see some of the other features of interest to her in person (3rd row seats, frunk, etc.), but as we live in Antioch, IL and with two small children even a trip that far tends to turn into an all day affair and the wife is just not enough of a car person for it really to be a priority for her.

I don't want to impose on anyone but I've seen several S's in the Antioch area so I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone would be willing to stop by or meet us somewhere in Antioch for a quick walk around. I don't even think a test drive/ride is necessarily needed but obviously that would be welcome as well since I have yet to actually get in the car at this point. reply or PM me if you might be able to help.

thanks!

Coming from a wife that wasn't sure about what her husband was getting into, I think you should bring your family for a test drive. We drove down to Illinois, and the staff was great with the kids! We all went for a test drive. It was a fun experience for the family. I wasn't sold on this car until we visited the Tesla store. I was able to really learn more about the car, see the different colors it comes in, and ask all the question's. I highly suggest visiting the store with the fam, and I believe there's a cookie store around the corner - if you go to the outdoor mall in IL.

If you can't get a local look and/or test drive, you really should make the time to take your family to the Tesla store for an official test drive. Driving or even riding in the Model S is very persuasive for reluctant or uninterested SOs. Not to mention convincing and motivating you!

Considering your two small children, you might show her this to persuade her to make the trip:

Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Yeah just forwarded that to her this morning. Great to see! Though I wish they had more specifics in the NHTSA report concerning the 3rd row seats. I know, I know, it's inherently one of the safest places in the car since the kids will be facing the rear and since rear end crashes are typically much lower speed differentials, but still, would have been nice to see it specifically included in the report.

And thanks to the rest of you, I fully intend to drag the family to the store as soon as we can find time. Just thought if there was someone already in the area on the forum it would be worth it to ask.

All the above are pretty much spot on. I, on the other hand, did not have to persuade my wife to get the car. She is a gear head. The car frequently tops 90 mph and when I want to get home quick from a function, I let her drive, as she has better luck with Mr. Plod than I do.

With respect to the third row seats, look at those big honking members on either side of their feet. The crash history (anecdotal) has been great for those simply by keeping the rear of cars recognizable.

And since we are on the topic, if she is looking BMW 5/7, Panamera, MB, etc. please remind her that if you hit a Suburban with a trailer hitch attached, or any other decent sized piece of steel (e.g Ford F350, Box truck), It really doesn't matter in the car-v-truck arena. You are out-manned.

It is a safe car. That should be the tagline.

Yeah just forwarded that to her this morning. Great to see! Though I wish they had more specifics in the NHTSA report concerning the 3rd row seats. I know, I know, it's inherently one of the safest places in the car since the kids will be facing the rear and since rear end crashes are typically much lower speed differentials, but still, would have been nice to see it specifically included in the report.

And thanks to the rest of you, I fully intend to drag the family to the store as soon as we can find time. Just thought if there was someone already in the area on the forum it would be worth it to ask.

Watch Elon's speech from TESLIVE. He specifically talks about safety of the 3rd row and the extra bumper designed so that the 3rd row occupants will not take impact from a car at 50MPH I believe.

Drop the kids off at Grandma's (or whomever) and take your wife for a 'weekend away from the stresses'. Book a Bed & Breakfast, make reservations at a nice restaurant, blah, blah, blah. Go test drive the car, feed her and then get some nooky. Win-Win.

Watch Elon's speech from TESLIVE. He specifically talks about safety of the 3rd row and the extra bumper designed so that the 3rd row occupants will not take impact from a car at 50MPH I believe.

Yup saw that too, and don't get me wrong I think the 3rd row seats are most likely one of the safest places in the car... But we have a saying around here, "In God we trust, all others bring data". It would have been nice to specifically see some rear end crash testing and seat ratings for the 3rd row passengers in the NHTSA report. Hopefully we'll see something more as more testing is done on the car, either way it's not a deal breaker, the ability to seat 7 in a car this efficient is one of the major selling points for me, the high safety level is just a really nice to have side effect of the cars design.

Here's how I did it. I test drove the car, fell in love....put a deposit down. Being that I was at Old Orchard, I promptly went to the shop directly next door to Tesla.

It's a shop that wraps its purchases in aqua blue boxes and aqua blue bags.....in fact, I think the blue is call 'Tiffany blue'. :)

I then proceeded home and gave my wife the gift. Her eyes lit up....knowing that it wasn't her birthday nor our anniversary, she asked 'What did you do?' I told her I put a down payment on a Tesla car and that the down payment was refundable. My process adopts the "...easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" ideology.

The Tesla sales rep knew exactly what the situation was, so he took the deposit and did a 'preliminary' configuration. I brought the wife into the Tesla store with the kids a few weeks later and went on a second test drive. She drove. After her test drive, she sat down to do the REAL configuration of the car. By no means is my wife a 'car' enthusiast....she drives what I buy her. This was a first; her taking initiative on what she wanted with this car. After taking delivery, the second day of my wife driving the car, she called me on her way into work. She gushed over how much she loved her new car. That was a little over a month ago, I still haven't told her that it's not her car. :D

- - - Updated - - -

****In short, the car, itself, does most of the persuading for purchase.****

I'd throw in a few blurbs here and there that she'd never have to stop off at a gas station again.

When I got my BMW 750 I told the missus that it had massage seats; that for her was a selling point.

She was less than impressed when it arrived with black paint, black interior (including roof liner and mats), blacked out exterior chrome accents, black tinted windows at 70%, and even a darkened titanium gear selector :tongue:

Tell her there's something you want to check out at Tiffany & Co.

Update: Ah, I see Luder got there first.

Honestly, I think you should try and get a test drive to get it out of your system, or at least make her understand. Or maybe if she doesn't care for it, you'll realize it's a lost cause.

My wife took about a 10 minute test drive and then came back saying "Do whatever you have to do to get this car"... The "salespeople" know how to show the car--everything just makes sense after it's explained and shown properly. Go for it!

-m

Note: I put "salespeople" in quotes as they're really just cool people that like to hang around the showroom too :)

My spouse has yet to drive the car and we had had it more than a month. She thought I was crazy (after >35 years she knows) but observed that Inwas passionate about it. After the first ride she decided it had been a perfectly sane decision. She has noticed the car has been driven more in the first month than any other car we have had. The distant number two was a Ferrari we owned in the UK.she never drove that one either.she also never much liked it. The Tesla she gushes about.

moral: as others have said. Get your Spouse in the car. It will then sell itself, just as it does to nearly everyone.