Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster #154 For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roadster #154 For Sale

"I drive these cars for a living. But when I get behind the wheel of #154 it's scary."

-- Carl Medlock, Tesla NW Regional Service Manager​

One of the first 200 cars built by Tesla Motors, this car came configured exactly like a signature, just without the signature labeling and placard.
In addition, one year after delivery Tesla installed the reservoir shocks made available on the (then new) Sport model.

IHQ6TO8.jpg

"I keep forgetting, you fixed all the things Tesla forgot ..."

-- Carl Medlock, Tesla NW Regional Service Manager​
commenting how nice to work on a car with footwell lighting​

After-sale custom carbon fiber was installed over most of the interior, to include the dash, door sills, and (unique to #154) carbon-fiber door panels.
On the exterior, carbon-fiber surrounds the tail-light assemblies and custom built fog-light pods.

Fikse was contracted to provide a custom set of wheels. 7J x 17" in the front and 8J x 17" in the back.
Along with performance, all-season tires these wheels give an additional inch of cross section to each of the front wheels, and an additional half inch
in the back. You'll have a hard time overpowering them, even in the roughest downpour.

High-intensity Discharge (HID) lamps were used to replace both the low and high beam headlights and were installed by Tesla Motors service technicians.
A toggle switch next to the headlight controls allow the driver to add high-intensity LED fog-lights to the mix.

Other custom amenities include a driver-side toggle switch to disable the passenger window control and footwell lighting provided by behind-the-dash
LED strips when a door is opened.

At the end of 2012, Tesla Motors replaced the battery pack on #154. At the same time, I installed a new set of performance all-season tires.
The car has been driven less than 1000 miles on the new battery and tires.

This 2008 MY Tesla Roadster, delivered in 2009, has had a single owner over its entire history and can include
all original documentation delivered with the car (i.e. window sticker, receipt, etc.)

This car was configured and customized to be driven aggressively and safely on a daily basis, year-round in all weather conditions.
And to not "look cheap" or embarrass (inside or out) when attending black-tie affairs with a date in a cocktail dress.

If you're looking for a "trophy car" to keep in your garage and drive on summer weekends, please look elsewhere. You'd probably be disappointed with this
purchase. But if you're looking for the best, most efficient and fun car to drive, every day to work, around town all year in both the best and worst
weather conditions. Look no further. This car is the one for you.

Interested parties can use the contact info shown in the provided pictures of the car for all queries and offers.

Last edited:
Man those bring back memories, a few months after getting the car. Fikse was still tweaking the wheel design,
the final wheels are powder-coated black as shown above. And as you say, the carbon fiber parts had yet to start going in.

Another Roadster had the same fog lights (sorry no VIN number) - too bad that they didn't make this an option!
tesla_fog1.jpg

Nice!* I haven't personally seen seen other cars with the pods.* In January 2012 Carl sent mine to a shop interested in mass producing them as after-market parts for the roadster.* I wasn't sure if or how many owners had actually bought them.

The red pic wasn't a customer car as from what I remember, it was a Tesla vehicle at Menlo Park that was being outfitted with the new Roadster goodies that everyone was looking forward in seeing and buying... unfortunately nothing came about from it. So DFD, you were the 1st one with that pod I presume? It looked pretty slick and fit the Roadster well for sure. Sad to see it didn't get past these two vehicles.... I thought the Red one above was the lone car with this upgrade. Cool to know where it came from :)

Yes, the original pods came from my car/customizer. Shortly before my car was delivered, I discussed what I'd like done with a local customizer. My primary concern was getting performance all-season tires on the car (at that time *nobody* made performance all-season tires sized to fit on Lotus front wheels) and so the first priority was getting custom wheels built for the car. As a bonus, by maxing out the sizes, I ended up with a car that handled superbly in the rough weather we get in the Pacific Northwest. I wanted fog lights for similar concerns, to aid the stock headlights and cut through the low lying fog we sometimes get in the valleys here. Most of the customizations were done by the beginning of 2010. By the end of 2011, when Carl talked to me about getting them for other cars, the original customizer was no longer in business. We sent them to another shop who duplicated the design. Probably much easier than designing them from scratch again.

OK, I've had a couple of questions from prospective buyers about the battery and from looking around at other sections of the forum it looks like other people have had issues with battery replacements.

The battery was replaced last November (at the end of 2012, as stated in the ad).

Tesla chose to replace the battery unprompted by me or any apparent problems. Probably computer diagnostics sent up a red flag at some point when they downloaded the logs on the car. I assume they simply detected "unusual degradation" in battery life.

I have had no issues with the new battery, neither noticing a change in maximum range or charging issues of any kind. The car has been charged in performance/range mode several times since the replacement, and has been driven to within the lower 10% of charge once or twice. As far as I can tell, the current battery in #154 is as good or better than the original and likely will last just as long.

@saprolf
Even if I still had them, I'm not interested in "parting out" the car. I believe the custom features on #154 is what makes it a unique and desirable car to own. I put a lot of time and money into the car. Certainly none of my friends ever mistook someone else for me when they saw a roadster driving through Seattle.