Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ZelectricBug™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our initial offering will be the ZelectricBug™ – featuring the Zelectric powertrain built into restored VW Beetles (1958–1966.) As of July 2013, the Zelectric prototype is heading into final testing to make sure every last detail is right, replicable, and all systems go. We hope to have the first model available for sale by late Summer 2013. Pricing will be announced once our prototype is finished.

- 90–110+ mile range
- 0-80+ MPH in 3rd gear!
- 24 kWh battery pack (same as the Nissan Leaf)
- Lithium LiFePO4 Batteries
- Battery life: 160,000+ miles
- 10–15+ years

- Fast! Weighs 1000lbs less than Nissan Leaf
- Ceramic heater = instant heat
- Aluminium Battery Boxes
- Heavy Duty Clutch & Lightened Flywheel
- J1772 Charge Port - Charge it anywhere.

http://www.zelectricmotors.com/

Looks like fun, anyone heard of this before?

I've driven the Zelectricbug 1 (The Red Ragtop)... It is a fun, Sunday car with 80-100 miles of range (basically like my ActiveE) without as much electronics... It CAN take an iPod (from what I remember.) Best performance was on 2nd or 3rd gear from what I can remember. Funny to drive an EV with a clutch.

I believe that he's finished Zelectricbug 2 (The Black One).

It's Zippy, fun, and a classic recycled. The finish is excellent. He even has kept the ICE engine in case the purchaser wants to go the "wrong" way.

Picture of his battery pack -

9053313673_e8c65f3831_o.jpg
IMG_1886 by dennis_p, on Flickr

The inside -

9055537022_e8801b3e21_o.jpg
IMG_1881 by dennis_p, on Flickr

Here's the set on Flickr...

You can follow him on Twitter.

I guess his business is "greener" in that it takes one "gasser" off and replaces with EV Nirvana. He's based in San Diego.

Dennis
My Blog
Driving my ActiveE for around 42,000 miles in 17 months and 3 weeks.
Waiting on Roadster #78 to get delivered any day now.
And a delayed (our choice) Model S (85) until November ordered with the new Winter Package in Southern California ('cause COLD weather is a relative term and my passengers deserve heated seats.)

There was no mention of a liquid cooled/heated battery thermal management system on the site. Does anyone know if it will have one?

I don't know if there will be any liquid cooling of the batteries but I think its unlikely because of the complexities involved. ZelectricBug say they are working with EV West for the electrical components and EV West has an existing kit that only has water cooling of the controller and the motor but throw them an email and ask.

EV WEST 1963 Electric Beetle:

Last edited by a moderator: