Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you prepared to pay for connectivity?

How much are you prepared to pay for connectivity?

• Nothing. Don't care about connectivity at all.

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • Phone app only - $5

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Phone app only - $10

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Phone app only - $15

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Phone app only - $20

• Full connectivity - $15

Votes: 60 36.4%
  • Full connectivity - $20

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • Full connectivity - $30

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Full connectivity - $40

• Whatever it costs. Just give it to me.

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's plenty of discussion on connectivity and different views on what's important and what each of us might find reasonable. I figured it's worth splitting off for a poll on what we might be prepared to pay. I know I likely didn't cover all the various options but there's only so many choices in a poll and overall I have the impression that we break down in to two main categories: those who don't want connectivity but want to use the phone app and those who want browsing, slacker, maps etc.

I also guess there's folks that will say they'd like everything for $X and if that's not available they'll take phone app only; but I had no way to ac**** for that in the poll, you'll have to add it as comments in a post.

Monetary amounts are on a per month basis.

Last edited:
I'd love for it to be on the order of $10/mo, given the miniscule amount of data I'll use. I suspect it'll be more like $30/mo and I'll post a rant on TMC forum and grumble aloud and eventually just cough it up since I think the convenience of the "always on" connectivity will far outweigh the annoyance of having to reconnect to my phone to tether. I wish I wasn't such a pushover on these things...

I suspect a lot of people would go crazy (me definitely!) trying to work out what they needed if there was a tiered plan offering. E.g. I have no idea what sort of bandwidth Slacker or Tune-In takes up and we use those quite often while our usage of maps is sometimes a lot and sometimes none at all.

That $15/250MB is all I'd need...I could swallow that.

It's not clear on how much data is sent for the various features. I use map view and traffic all the time. I don't use slacker et al. The only time I use the web browser is to show people that there is one. And I use the App.

It's not clear on how much data is sent for the various features. I use map view and traffic all the time. I don't use slacker et al. The only time I use the web browser is to show people that there is one. And I use the App.

True, and it varies. I go on XM only stints for a while, I may go on a 500 mile round trip listening to Slacker while using NAV and my wife surfs the web. That said, I think that if I could remember to make the change, that for my everyday driving I would use the connectivity, but for longer trips just tether my iPhone (where I have a 4GB data plan) and save the other usage. The issue would be whether I remember to set up the tethering on those trips.

As long as it mirrors AT&T's pricing for the iPad, I think I'll be fine. When buying the car, I figured I'd eventually have to pay for service -- and figured $25-30/month would be OK. I have an employer-provided iPhone with tethering disabled, so I'll have to buy a plan personally regardless. The only question is if a LTE hotspot might be better value...

Its really too bad that AT&T's plans go from 250MB at $15 to 3GB at $30... Would be nice if AT&T offered a 1GB/mo plan for $20 -- might work for my usage in the Tesla since for the last ~2 years, i've regularly streamed podcasts from my phone while commuting, and I think I've only gone over 1GB usage in a month only once.

If AT&T had such a $20 / 1GB plan, they could easily apply their regular $10/GB overage charge (so if you occasionally went over its not bad, but still a "penalty" over paying $30 for 3GB to encourage people to step up if they frequently go over...).

I voted $15 for full connectivity but I think I am only willing to pay $10. For $10 extra a month I can turn my 4G phone into a hotspot and get connectivity that way. This all assumes that the phone app will still work without the plan. I believe it will.

I'll just tether my phone to the car. I like the phone app, but honestly don't use it all that often. And I park within WiFi at home and work, so I could still connect without a "connectivity" plan.

---EDIT---

I'll also add that I believe that the phone app (and REST API) will be availaible regardless of whether or not you get the connectivity package. I think Tesla is going to pull/call this data for their own purposes anyway. It should be VERY VERY low data volume.

Last edited:
A firmware update for the car alone probably takes around 250MB, so I'd expect the plans to be priced in the 2GB - 3GB range.

I'd prefer to pay $20. That would feel like a good deal. I'm prepared to pay $30.

Firmware upgrades, and any other modification that Tesla pushes or pulls (e.g. monitoring, battery status, etc.) to (or from) your car will not be counted in your plan. They have their own proprietary data link independent of other "fun stuff" (e.g. web, music).

I guess those are some details still being worked out. I'm happy to have FW updates via WiFi so there'd be no need to include those in the plan, OTOH that may not work for everyone (see FW-updates-OTA-vs-WiFi).

I agree. I think they're going to prioritize updates over WiFi, anyway, and I would hate to have to pay for AT&T data that I'm not using. Since my WiFi network reaches the garage, where my car is parked every night, I don't think I'm going to need need gigabytes of 3G data. I hope I can just pay for what I use.

I don't want to pay TESLA anything(not offense Tesla, I still love you). How about giving me the IMEI to _my_ car and letting me "add a line" to my existing cell plan for an extra $10/month?

Oh wait - I think they DID - is that correct? the ESN# on the liftgate when it's open?
liftgateTesla.png

Last edited:
I completely missed the pay for connectivity cost requirement on two test drives. I am astounded that the on board maps don't display on the big screen without a connection, they should be cached. I falsely assumed that the 7 years map updates was fort the on board map was and that this was the main map. I feel like I was sold an incomplete navigation package. I never asked the question, my fault, and the rep never mentioned it. All that being said, I love the car and sometimes feel that Tesla owes me for all the time I spend talking to complete strangers about this astounding piece of engineering. I already have several friends close to pulling the trigger.

To answer the OP question $15 for all.

I see so many folks comparing this to service provider plans. I think you need to rethink "connectivity" as this is for the car. My iPad will get just about 1,000,000% more use than my car. The relation is not analogous. At least, not at this point.

What is connected? Google maps is probably the highest user used item. Voice commands / searches would be my #2. Since the browser is nearly worthless as it is stripped of most expanded functionality, mine isn't much more than a show piece.

This is what Tesla needs to keep in mind with their pricing. GMs OnStar is a rip off for what you get for basic pricing. They (GM, Tesla, etc) would do far better by offering a basic annual plan for $50 that gives all basic functionality (a data cap would be fair). Then up charge from there. Especially since someone spec'd 3G in a 4G world.

Until the browser offers video support or user apps are offered, pricing has to consider real world use.