Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Hotspot Tethering Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

fiksegts

Jan 6, 2013
Miami
Anyone with version 5.0 test out tethering the car to an LTE hotspot, or even to a high speed wifi connection? Does the web browser performance improve dramatically? Over 3G I can't tell if the slowness is due to the Tesla's web browser performance or the painfully slow 3G connection...

I tethered to my iPhone 5 Verizon LTE ... testmy.net reports 6.6 Mbps down 1.3 up (phone native gets 20 down 2.7 up). The in-car 3G was about 200 Kbps down and I forget what up.
Browsing's a little faster but it feels CPU-constrained. Map tiles are a little faster but not significantly. (although map performance in 5.0 overall is much better)

Shouldn't it stay connected to WiFi? Or have we determined that app access can still be achieved?

I have observed that in sleep mode, WiFi disconnects but 3G remains connected. I haven't tested that extensively to confirm that, but it's my hypothesis at the moment. My video shows the car waking up from sleep using 3G only.

In other news... this is my 2000th post. Yay.

If Tesla's connectivity plan is too expensive, I'm planning to just use a 4G hotspot and leave it in the car. But the app would have to work. Otherwise, this would be no different than just tethering to my phone when I'm in the car.

I have observed that in sleep mode, WiFi disconnects but 3G remains connected. I haven't tested that extensively to confirm that, but it's my hypothesis at the moment. My video shows the car waking up from sleep using 3G only.

My guess is that 3G doesn't go down because that's Tesla's primary way of monitoring the car at present.

In other news... this is my 2000th post. Yay.

And very informative they have been too.

Time for another dumb guy question.
My wife has (finally) agreed to get a cellphone. I'm an Apple guy so I'm gonna get her an iPhone and might as well upgrade my old 3GS.
I'm with AT&T. I'd like to switch to Verizon for better coverage.
Is there any reason(s) NOT to switch as far as my Model S and/or Tesla is concerned?

My wife has (finally) agreed to get a cellphone. I'm an Apple guy so I'm gonna get her an iPhone and might as well upgrade my old 3GS.
Is there any reason(s) NOT to switch as far as my Model S and/or Tesla is concerned?
Can't think of any reason it should matter at the moment. If the MS had user-swappable SIMs, then it could matter if you could add the MS as a device to a shared data plan. But since it doesn't, its stuck with AT&T. So, IMO, having Verizon on your phone might actually be better so that you have 2 networks if you ever get into a remote area where one might not serve as well as the other.

There may be other reasons, but I can't think of any.

If Tesla's connectivity plan is too expensive, I'm planning to just use a 4G hotspot and leave it in the car. But the app would have to work. Otherwise, this would be no different than just tethering to my phone when I'm in the car.

I plan on using a 4g phone as a hotspot all the time. If nothing else for the added speed of the network, maps etc. The only issue I am not sure of it connecting to it and the speed at which it will do it. Hopefully that will be a non issue. And also where the charge ports are in the car. Is there one in the glove box? Or somewhere you wouldn't have to have the phone visible?

A new iPhone is coming out in a month so be on the lookout.

I have Verizon and you can't use voice and data concurrently. AT&T can do if you're going to use the phone for Internet this is something to consider.