Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: LTE Hotspot Tethering Performance?

Wow, you guys get ripped off on your mobile service! The public mobile carrier here provides unlimited national LTE coverage (still limited to cities though) and no-charge tethering/hotspot function for $65CAD per month.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post

I have found this to more than pay for itself when traveling on business by avoiding the $15-20/night charge for internet at hotels, in good coverage areas the speed is often better than in-hotel wi-fi or the 'free' wifi in airports.
    That is insane! I've never been charged for the internet in a hotel! Now that I have an LTE phone, I just pair that to my laptop since it is so much faster than the "free" WiFi. I plan to do the same with my Model S.
    P85+| Arrest-me Red/ Tan Leather Seats | Carbon Fiber Trim | 21" Grey Turbine | Parking Sensors | Sub-zero | Pano | UHFSS | Twin Chargers + HPWC | Extended Nappa | Fog Lights | Spoiler | Red Calipers | Premium Lighting | Ordered + Confirmed: 2/13/2014 | VIN: 35668 (2/24/2014) | Production: April 11-17 | Delivery: May 2, 2014!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemm View Post
    Wow, you guys get ripped off on your mobile service! The public mobile carrier here provides unlimited national LTE coverage (still limited to cities though) and no-charge tethering/hotspot function for $65CAD per month.
    That is insane! I've never been charged for the internet in a hotel! Now that I have an LTE phone, I just pair that to my laptop since it is so much faster than the "free" WiFi. I plan to do the same with my Model S.
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. I just started thinking about moving to one of AT&Ts shared plans so that the Tesla could be added to it. I'm currently grandfathered in to a pair of unlimited LTE iPhone plans. For our usage, just moving to plan suitable for our current data usage that would allow me to add the Tesla to the shared data pool will cost $70 more a month than the $130 we're already paying. Then add in whatever the Tesla costs. It'll be cheaper to add it to a standalone plan. Asinine.

Having visited Europe, buying SIMs along the way... American carriers suck. Hard.
    P85 - Multicoat Red, October Tech, Pano, UHFS, Parking, Carbon Fiber, Textile, Coil, 19"

Blog Entries
    With FW v5.6 I connected my car to my iPhone using the phone as a personal hotspot - connection was very easy and the car remembers it easily enough when disconnected and reconnected. No noticeable difference in Google Maps but the web browser was faster than normal (although didn't seem as fast as on my home WiFi network).

Thread Information