Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gallons saved / Oil tankers saved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like how on the home page for the Chevy Volt you can see how many gallons have been saved. I really wish there was something that was updated from the miles driven from the Tesla fleet. Has anyone heard any discussion about this. Any other interest in this?

Of course it is good to save gallons. I think that it is possible to detect the miles driven from the Tesla fleet and calulate not only the gallons saved but also the amount of CO2 not emitted in the atmosphere.
However by doing this there is the risk to put too much stress on environment and to lose people that are not so much interested in environmental problems. So I can understand Tesla Executives if they decided to avoid this matter in the Tesla home page.

Here is a tweet from April 22nd:

gallons.PNG

It looks like this metric is assuming that all Tesla's on the road are replacing 20mpg cars on average (which may not be true). Also, from April 22nd, thousands more Tesla's are on the road.

this really scares--->>>> the largest merchant ships of the world, these super-vessels for the transport of containers, contaminating more than 760 million car.

this is a crime against humanity:: -->>> IMO agrees to delay until 2021 the third phase of reduction of NOx emissions to the atmosphere. Imo tier III.

The call to postpone Tier III limits was led by Russia, with the support from Poland, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Latvia and Estonia. The Russian proposal was passed by a marginal majority, with strong opposition from several European countries and the United States.

Air pollution from international shipping, of which NOx emissions are a big part, accounts for about 50 000 premature deaths per year in Europe. If the Tier III limits do not come into force until 2021, NOx emissions from shipping are likely to exceed the emissions of this air pollutant from land-based sources by 2020.

bunker oil using super tankers is waste from petroleum refining .. is cheap and very dirty .. and is that politicians want to continue burning millions of barrels annually dirty fuel that releasing much more pollution than all the cars in the world combined ...

this is a crime against humanity:: -->>> IMO agrees to delay until 2021 the third phase of reduction of NOx emissions to the atmosphere. Imo tier III.

But we now have the power to stop this. All we need to do is stop using oil. If we do that the super tankers will stop their deliveries. But if we keep buying their product then of course they will continue to provide the "service".

Are you willing to give up your MS?

But we now have the power to stop this. All we need to do is stop using oil. If we do that the super tankers will stop their deliveries. But if we keep buying their product then of course they will continue to provide the "service".

Are you willing to give up your MS? Without oil, your MS would not exist.

Tier III standard in maritime transport was to begin in 2016. is not ethical to countries that did not invest in modernizing its fleet conspire to abolish the rules ... not ethical countries not invested in modernizing its fleet conspire to abolish the rules ...

but you're right.... the best for the environment is to buy local products with lower carbon footprints or relocate industries....

analyzing an example: "X" U.S. company purchases primary materials in Chile and Venezuela (copper, aluminum, oil) send the material traveling on a supertanker to China, there's transformed using electricity from coal .. and then the finished products are shipped to America in 3 Super Tanker (finished products occupy more volume packing effects). (4 supertankers trips America to Asia)

if the American company buys the primary materials (copper, aluminum, oil) would spend only half trip ..... (is shorter in Venezuela, Chile to USa that america to Asia) and electricity in the united states is cleaner than in ASIA ..

if you are live in Usa the phrase "Buy American" is environmental...

definitely not exist .. after the oil industry BOOM began to increase the global population .... decreased food costs, decreased mortality, decrease medicines costs, were produced major infrastructure .. the cheap oil build modern society. a single cup of gasoline equivalent to the work of a man of a whole DAY ...
I remember 30 years ago see my father with four workers with "MACHETES" working.. today one man with a brush cutter does the same work in less time .. using only a little gasoline...

- - - Updated - - -

Are you willing to give up your MS? Without oil, your MS would not exist.

definitely not exist .. after the oil industry BOOM began to increase the global population .... decreased food costs, decreased mortality, decrease medicines costs, were produced major infrastructure .. the cheap oil build modern society. a single cup of gasoline equivalent to the work of a man of a whole DAY ...
I remember 30 years ago see my father with four workers with "MACHETES" working.. today one man with a brush cutter does the same work in less time .. using only a little gasoline...

- - - Updated - - -

Bunker fuel is mostly vacuum residue, the bottom of the barrel from crude oil. Vacuum residue is also used to make road asphalt. Most vacuum residue is processed in oil refineries to produce cleaner, higher valued products.

but a large portion is used in maritime transport where emissions are not controlled ... is estimated that 6 percent of the world's oil is consumed in the marine transport ... The air we breathe has no nationality ... can be in a field day breathing clean air, and in one of those puffs some particles loosened the atmosphere by a supertanker in the China Sea may be entering into your lungs ..

Color me skeptical of the phrase

Bunker fuel is mostly vacuum residue, the bottom of the barrel from crude oil. Vacuum residue is also used to make road asphalt. Most vacuum residue is processed in oil refineries to produce cleaner, higher valued products.

Color me skeptical of the phrase "cleaner, higher valued products". If true, then bunker oil would not exist. It would be turned into "cleaner, higher valued products", not sold as bunker oil.

Color me skeptical of the phrase "cleaner, higher valued products". If true, then bunker oil would not exist. It would be turned into "cleaner, higher valued products", not sold as bunker oil.

It requires a lot of expensive processing to upgrade vacuum residue to cleaner, higher valued products. Wholesale product prices settle at a point where some refineries can, at times, make more money selling vacuum residue as bunker fuel or asphalt than upgrading it.

- - - Updated - - -

but a large portion is used in maritime transport where emissions are not controlled ... is estimated that 6 percent of the world's oil is consumed in the marine transport ... The air we breathe has no nationality ... can be in a field day breathing clean air, and in one of those puffs some particles loosened the atmosphere by a supertanker in the China Sea may be entering into your lungs ..

Bunker fuel and related residual fuel oils constitute 3.0% of U.S. refinery output, down from 5.8% twenty years ago.
U.S. Refinery Yield of Residual Fuel Oil (Percent)

Last edited: