Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID:259

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roadster 2010 stayed for some 5 days in the garage. I wanted to move it today, but I was not able to unlock the doors. The trunk did open.
I opened the door with emergency key and there was it:
"Battery Problem Service Required", ID:259 pressing the screen gave me: "Backup Power Active Contact Tesla Service" ID:1522 and then "Charging aborted Fault - Service Required" 285 Km Ideal Range.

Well I tried to contact the Tesla technician in Zürich, but it was saturday afternoon, and he does not pick up.
Then I tried to contact the new Tesla breakdown number in England which was no more active. Then I phoned the new new number and hot to an english Lady ( I live in Switzerland ). She did speak english with such an incredible prononciation ( cockney ? ) and at highest speed that I had to tell her at least ten times to speak slowly. Her biggest problem was to get my licence plates number. I tried to explain to her that we in Switzerland change our licence plates, they do not stay with a car and that they did not have my licence plates in their system, but she stoically replied several times: No licence plate number - no help, I should phone again when I have the number. So I gave her my licence plates number and she tried for a long time to find me in their system which of course she did not succeed. She repetedly told me that she has me not in the system and that I might have to pay for the assistance. When I gave her ok ( I have bought the guarantee extensions ) she told me that she will connect me with european assistance. After 5 minutes of waiting I gave up and closed the call. Allthough they took my mobile phone number, they never called back....

So, no help. I m happy that this happened in my garage and that I have other cars. Now I wait till monday to talk to the Zürich technician.....

So here comes what happened next: Tesla breakdown never called me, but on saturday evening the technician from the Zürich store called me and made sure that it was ok to phone on monday.
On monday we talked and I learned that the car really needs a new battery which will be changed at Tesla garage in Winterthur. It was covered by the guarantee extension I had bought. But the transport was not covered. As they are delivering now the first Model S ( 11 so far ) they are very busy.
So I had to call my road assistance which proved rather nervous and difficult to deal because they had no idea how to deal with an electric car. After several phone calls, the plan is now that the road assistance will pickup the car tomorrow afternoon and transport the car to Tesla on wednesday. Tesla will order a replacement battery. They hope to get it in one week and then they need two to three days to finish it.
So, if everything goes well, I should have my car beginning of september, which would be great as I have an invitation to drive the roadster at Home | Klausenrennen end of september.

If you think you're pretty handy, you could replace the 12V battery yourself - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8823-The-12-Volt-Battery

So here comes what happened next: Tesla breakdown never called me, but on saturday evening the technician from the Zürich store called me and made sure that it was ok to phone on monday.
On monday we talked and I learned that the car really needs a new battery which will be changed at Tesla garage in Winterthur. It was covered by the guarantee extension I had bought. But the transport was not covered. As they are delivering now the first Model S ( 11 so far ) they are very busy.
So I had to call my road assistance which proved rather nervous and difficult to deal because they had no idea how to deal with an electric car. After several phone calls, the plan is now that the road assistance will pickup the car tomorrow afternoon and transport the car to Tesla on wednesday. Tesla will order a replacement battery. They hope to get it in one week and then they need two to three days to finish it.
So, if everything goes well, I should have my car beginning of september, which would be great as I have an invitation to drive the roadster at Home | Klausenrennen end of september.

Yesterday I got my car back.
Got new rear tyres and they did something with the dashboard and the steering geometry, too.
What is strange that after fully charging it at home, with the new battery pack, the ideal range is 290 Km only. With the 3,5 year old battery pack it was between 296 and 298 Km.
Should I expect that to get better?

What also changed is that at higher speeds the analogue and the digital speed do not correspond well. E,g, when the digital shows 138 Km/h. thae analogue shows nearly 150 Km/. Why, and what should be more accurate?

What also changed is that at higher speeds the analogue and the digital speed do not correspond well. E,g, when the digital shows 138 Km/h. thae analogue shows nearly 150 Km/. Why, and what should be more accurate?

I've also noticed my analog speedometer reads about 5% higher than the digital display. After checking distances and times on long road trips I've concluded the digital is more accurate. It could be your new tires are a slightly different diameter than the old ones which is throwing off the readings. You could try re-learning the tires (under New Tires in the settings menu) which might help.

I agree your battery is probably out of balance. Mine has ranged from 294km to 304km depending on the balance. Try doing a long run on a single key turn (Standard charge down to yellow bars), then a Range charge and let it sit for a few hours. Charging at low amps helps the balance as well.

The digital display is based on GPS, and is extremely accurate. The analog gauge is woefully inaccurate, and I find its accuracy varies from drive to drive. Fortunately I can't even read the thing because at 5' 10" I'm too tall to see it, so I look down at the VDS to see how fast I'm going.

I've also noticed my analog speedometer reads about 5% higher than the digital display. After checking distances and times on long road trips I've concluded the digital is more accurate. It could be your new tires are a slightly different diameter than the old ones which is throwing off the readings. You could try re-learning the tires (under New Tires in the settings menu) which might help.

I agree your battery is probably out of balance. Mine has ranged from 294km to 304km depending on the balance. Try doing a long run on a single key turn (Standard charge down to yellow bars), then a Range charge and let it sit for a few hours. Charging at low amps helps the balance as well.

FYI, there's an IPNeedles "reset" that technicians have access to in the VMS. This "resets" and recalibrates the analog speedo cluster with the digital one. I came across a post some time ago in the forum describing that and offset you're describing. You can ask Tesla to reset it / recalibrate. But you may get that shoulder shrug as to, what is that!? I've seen at times many forum members who have more knowledge and detail on the Roadsters than some of the employees... but then again most of the employees don't own Tesla's so they can't feel the love as much as we can :)

Thanks for the answers.
Yes, I got the answer from Tesla that a reset of the analogue speedo could be possible.
My primary concern is the battery pack now.
As it is now, my 3,5 years old battery pack had a better range reading then the "brand new" battery pack I got now.....
If I think about it, I start thinking how Panasonic has stopped making those cells for a while now. So how old is my "Brand new" battery pack in reality? How was it stored?

Thanks for the answers.
Yes, I got the answer from Tesla that a reset of the analogue speedo could be possible.
My primary concern is the battery pack now.
As it is now, my 3,5 years old battery pack had a better range reading then the "brand new" battery pack I got now.....
If I think about it, I start thinking how Panasonic has stopped making those cells for a while now. So how old is my "Brand new" battery pack in reality? How was it stored?

If your range of your new pack hasn't reached to the one of your previous pack, let Tesla know. But keep in mind a new pack in order to display the correct range/CAC its capable of must:
1) have time to fully balance - the refurbished packs have been sitting at a 50% or so SOC for some time. They're very out of balance. This can take 1 week to possibly 3 to fully balance them out.
2) The CAC has to be recalculated for the pack - this again is due to the pack sitting and becoming out of balance. Once the pack has been fully balanced then you need to have the CAC recalibrated. This can take time or your can force it by charging the roadster above 80% then **on one key turn** (won't work if the key has been cycled to off) you must drive the roadster down to at least 30% or below. That triggers the recalculation of the pack. Then return home and do a charge. I'd charge it back to 80%+ SOC again.

Do you have what your previous CAC was of the pack that was replaced? You may be able to pull this from your logs still... just find a log with the date before the time the pack was replaced.

Tesla has a goal to have the pack replaced with one that has the same CAC / ideal miles or better than the original.

Again this takes patience.

I don't think Tesla explains this process at all so it can leave people frustrated. Again just be patient. I've always found that if I've been patient and communicated clearly with Tesla they've always come through.

Yes, I informed Tesla, and I'm waiting for an answer.

I do not know what the CAC was. I wonder why Tesla has not balanced the pack in their workshop, I could imagine they could do that without driving the car?

When I picked up the car, it was not fully charged. Then I did drive it home to less then 25% of capacity ( at one key turn ). And then I did a full recharge at standard mode at 16 A.

Yes, I informed Tesla, and I'm waiting for an answer.

I do not know what the CAC was. I wonder why Tesla has not balanced the pack in their workshop, I could imagine they could do that without driving the car?

When I picked up the car, it was not fully charged. Then I did drive it home to less then 25% of capacity ( at one key turn ). And then I did a full recharge at standard mode at 16 A.

Dump your logs to find your original CAC like I mentioned.

As for the pack not going in balanced, they'd have to wait weeks for it to balance. Second of all the CAC takes some time to recalculate... I'm figuring that instead of dropping the packs in they can leave them at a healthy SOC from storage and then drop them into the Roadsters and allow the customer to still use the car while the pack settles in.

As I said before, just be patient. Tesla won't let you down. Most likely the pack will recover and it may take over a month to two months for everything to settle in. If you're not familiar with reading the logs, I suggest you learn that and it'd be a good exercise for you to become more familiar with your Roadster. The thread in the forum Tom Sax has on the battery packs / research as all the information you need.

Just ensure to keep the Roadster sitting at above 80+SOC everynight so it can balance.... from my experience the new/refurbished packs take 1-2 weeks to balance when sitting at the end of a std mode charge. Range mode can balance it faster, but I do believe it stresses it moreso than just taking an extra day or two sitting in std mode.

As Tesla gets bigger, the communication becomes more difficult.

They communicated that I got a refurbished, not a new battery pack. So, if I did not have bought the guarantee, I would have paid 30 000 CHF for a refurbished battery? Not impressive...

The new Tesla Service advisor suggests now that I leave the battery loading for one week at 10A....

My problem is that I do not have much time and I am not going to learn to read the logs or how to pull them.

As Tesla gets bigger, the communication becomes more difficult.

They communicated that I got a refurbished, not a new battery pack. So, if I did not have bought the guarantee, I would have paid 30 000 CHF for a refurbished battery? Not impressive...

The new Tesla Service advisor suggests now that I leave the battery loading for one week at 10A....

My problem is that I do not have much time and I am not going to learn to read the logs or how to pull them.

All you have to do is what I said. You don't have to leave it sitting on 10A. Yes, all battery replacements are refurbished. They are to do some extensive health checks on these packs... I also thought I was getting a new pack... mine was replaced under warranty. Also if you have OVMS that'll display the CAC. You can also ask Telsa to inquire what the last CAC of the refurbished pack was before they put it into your car.

Wiztecy, yes your informations are much more valuable then what I get from Tesla! Thank you!
I follow your advice and I will see what happens with the battery.
Yes, I have the OVMS, but I don't see how I can read the CAC on my iPhone?

But still, I feel strange about the fact that when you pay 30000 CHF you get a refurbished and not a new battery...