Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Green All Of Washington State's Highways In 90 Days!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s official; Sun Country Highway (http://suncountryhighway.com/) is coming to the US, beginning with a goal of GREENING 100% of Washington state's highways in 90 Days! Plans are to move this project forward rapidly. The Sun Country Model removes many of the factors that have stalled so many other projects. The model for the US will be the same model that has propelled Canada to be a world leader in high-powered level 2 EV Charging infrastructure, with the placement of 1,000 high powered L2 J1772 charging stations across Canada in under 2 years, without government funding! The goal in WA state is to “green” all state highways in 90 days, focusing on 26 locations across the state in phase 1. The intent is to have additional phases of the project to follow, to fill in with redundant stations along these routes. Kent Rathwell, Sun Country Highway and Jack Anderson with Plug-In North Central WA are spearheading the effort to find host locations.

One of the goals of this project is to also do the US rollout without any government funding! Kent "paid it forward" by funding Sun Country Highway, covering 95% of all Canadian highways and creating a model of economic, environmental and social sustainability across Canada. This model allows governments to save their money, increase services and pay down debt, while accelerating the sustainable transportation movement.

What is needed the most at this point are sponsors for purchasing the charging stations in the spirit of “paying it forward”. Initially the fund raising goal is $52,000 for Phase 1 to cover the purchase of charging stations, ranging from 50-80A’s. If we can secure this funding in the next 10 days, it is Sun Country Highway’s goal to secure commitments of locations within 90 days and have installation complete by the end of this year!

The intent of Sun Country Highway is to provide the highest powered charging stations that all makes and models of EV’s can charge from. The actual amperage of a given charging station will vary based on host constraints and for the initial roll out, the plan is to use mostly 70A continuous capable units, while a solution is chosen to allow Tesla Roadsters and Nissan Leafs to accept a charge from a full 80A unit.

Progress in finding committed locations and sponsor contributions will be announced by the September 3rd launch of the E-Mazing Race. The E-Mazing Race (http://e-mazingrace.com/) will highlight the completion of the world’s longest electric highway, crossing Canada.

To sponsor a high powered charging station ($1,999) you can either do so directly through Sun Country Highway (http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/) or send a check written out to Plug-In North Central WA, a tax deductible organization, to: Plug-In NCW, PO Box 1064, Wenatchee, WA 98807-1064. You may also sponsor part of a charging station or multiple charging stations. If a lower amperage, less expensive unit is required for install at a site, rest assured that all remaining funds will be put toward additional charging stations.

In addition to hosting a station at my house, I have also committed an additional $1,000 toward one of the additional 26 locations. Please give what you can!

Sincerely,
George Whiteside
Shoreline WA

Where can I find the list of the list of the 26 proposed locations in Washington State? I looked at all the sites mentioned and I didn't see the information.

I'm especially interested in learning what locations they have in mind for HWY 101 and HWY 12.

The map is forthcoming, it pretty much assures everything is within reach, east to west, north to south, throughout the state, including the entire peninsula loop etc!

Where can I find the list of the list of the 26 proposed locations in Washington State? I looked at all the sites mentioned and I didn't see the information.

I'm especially interested in learning what locations they have in mind for HWY 101 and HWY 12.

OK, so here is the map with target zones. there has been some reluctance to show the plan before we have secured all the funding or nailed down sites so as not to over promise, but I think it's valuable for everyone to see what the thinking is so far, knowing it's a work in progress, contingent ultimately on funding... This is by no means set in stone.

SCH WA MAP R2.png

If we get enough sponsors it can all happen in one phase, if not, then it will happen in multiple phases. based on pledges so far, we are in the neighborhood of $15K+, which is great, making it about $37K to go! a few big sponsors and this will be a synch, then again, every little bit counts :~)

make pledges on-line at http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/ or or send a check of any amount written out to Plug-In North Central WA, a tax deductible organization, to: Plug-In NCW, PO Box 1064, Wenatchee, WA 98807-1064

If you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me, if I don't have the answer I will either get it or get you in touch with the one's who do.

Onward and upward!

So the total cost is $52k for 55 chargers? Good deal!

Good catch brainman, I did not sit down and count the number of stations after I was given the map. I thought only phase 1 stations were going to be shown in the at this point, sorry for the conusion. Phase 1 is 26 stations. the cost is $2K a station. some of the stations on the map are already in the ground. I'll ask about a Plaque, I think Jack has come up with a way of doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks goneskiian, it's great to see the sponsorships coming in!

Check is in the mail!

Great to get an idea as to the planned locations. Thanks for the update.

Cheers!

It does look like a little overlap - Chelan, in particular but I think at least one in Okanogan also. What appears to be missing are the Methow Valley ones.

I believe you get to say what's on the plaque if you give enough for a charger. I owe Jack a response to "what do you want to put on yours?"

Based on what sponsors have pledged, we are at about $25K, almost halfway to our goal for Phase 1! Thank You to all who have contributed, it’s taking more than 10 days but we have made quick progress towards the goal!!

Points of detail:
- Jack and Kent wanted me to make sure and tell everyone that if you want to make a tax deductible sponsorship to the Sun Country Initiative through Plug-In North Central Washington (PNCW), to make sure and note that it is for the Sun Country Initiative in the memo section of your check and if possible, to also send me an email so I can track progress for announcements. If you do not specify Sun Country when sending funds to Plug-In NCW, funds will go to placing stations in North Central Washington by PNCW.
- If you have already sent in funds but did not specify, please let me know as we want to make sure the funds go where they were intended to go.
- If you sponsor a whole station or multiple stations, you may also ask for an inscription to be placed on the station, which may be placed by PNCW or Sun Country.
- Also, some folks have come up with some great questions, which we figured we might as well share with everyone.
1. “Which entity is ultimately responsible for selecting final locations for chargers?” Funds that go to PNCW but that are not specified for Sun Country will go toward stations in North Central Washing, determined by PNCW. Funds ear marked for Sun Country Highway will go toward Stations throughout the state, determined by Sun Country, some of which may also go in the North Central area as needed, in cooperation with PNCW.
2. “When will the charging equipment be purchased?” Charging stations will be ordered immediately upon receipt of payment.
3. “Funding, location selection, installation: will progress be reported regularly in some manner or in some public fashion?” We are tracking pledges as they are made known to us and funds as they actually come in. Progress will be reported publicly through this and other forums.
4.”Are there any other risks or barriers that would prevent installation and successful operation of chargers that are funded or purchased?” There are always hurdles which come up, but Sun Country has proven that they can get around them quickly in Canada and the USA should be very similar.
5. “Permitting or other legal issues?” Anything else that could inhibit, delay, or otherwise affect a successful outcome is a risk to any project. Installation of EV chargers is going to happen one way or another. It is our goal to complete installation in 90 days from reaching the financial goals set in each stage as we move forward.

We are excited to get going and make this happen!!

Please spread the word and give what you can. To sponsor a high powered charging station ($1,999) you can either do so directly through Sun Country Highway (http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/) or send a check written out to Plug-In North Central WA, a tax deductible organization, with “Sun Country” in the memo section of the check to: Plug-In NCW, PO Box 1064, Wenatchee, WA 98807-1064. You may also sponsor part of a charging station or multiple charging stations. If a lower amperage, less expensive unit is required for install at a site, rest assured that all remaining funds will be put toward additional charging station equipment.

Last edited:
I noticed a charger in Dayton, WA on the map. Has the site been finalized there? I ask because my brother owns a pizza place there which may be interested in hosting if a location needs to be found. I'm sure they can get 80A service with all of the pizza ovens, those have got to pull quite a bit of current.

thanks for that, I'll pass the question along. when we start finalizing, you may be getting contacted by Kent or me. it might take a bit still, we are focusing on raising the funds to see how much we come up with before deciding where to focus in phase 1.

I noticed a charger in Dayton, WA on the map. Has the site been finalized there? I ask because my brother owns a pizza place there which may be interested in hosting if a location needs to be found. I'm sure they can get 80A service with all of the pizza ovens, those have got to pull quite a bit of current.

It totally needs an inscription: "Tesla Model C parking between the hours ...".

I would really like to see chargers in or near:
1. Packwood, WA ( SR12 ) midway between Yakima and I5, south of Mt. Rainier
2. Port Orchard, WA ( SR16 ) just south of Bremerton
3. Shelton, WA ( Hwy 101 ) NW of Olympia

I think that the I5 corridor is already well served and would like to see the chargers go elsewhere first.
I would also love a way to Kickstarter-style sponsor individual locations.

I would really like to see chargers in or near:
1. Packwood, WA ( SR12 ) midway between Yakima and I5, south of Mt. Rainier
2. Port Orchard, WA ( SR16 ) just south of Bremerton
3. Shelton, WA ( Hwy 101 ) NW of Olympia

I think that the I5 corridor is already well served and would like to see the chargers go elsewhere first.
I would also love a way to Kickstarter-style sponsor individual locations.

I'm pretty sure if you donate enough for 3 chargers, you get a say in the location.

I'm pretty sure if you donate enough for 3 chargers, you get a say in the location.

we discussed this last night, while we can not guarantee exact location, those who sponsor a charger have the greatest influence on where they will be placed. also, sponsors of stations ear marked for either Plug-In Central North Washington or Sun Country have the option of adding a dedication quote to the station.