Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charges in Richmond?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next Saturday, August 24, I'll be driving to Emerald Isle, NC for vacation, a total distance from my home of about 400 miles. Unless the Supercharger in Virginia is installed by then (I'm not counting on it) I plan to stop in Richmond (164 miles) to add enough charge (probably about 60 miles) to get safely to an RV park in Roanoke Rapids (about 90 miles from Richmond), where I have a reservation for the night and can charge fully for the final leg of the trip Sunday (162 miles).

Does anyone know a reliable place in Richmond to charge on a Saturday? Amazon shows EV chargers at two VCU parking lots and the Museum but I'm concerned about access on a Saturday. I recall a post about a charging station at a Marriott in Richmond but I'm again concerned about access, as I won't be a guest there.

Richmond Omni hotel is your best bet (163 miles from Timonium). 70 amp Tesla charger in basement parking. Call ahead and ask for the valet, and have them tell you if the charger is in use. There are, I am sure, other threads about this charger, plus you can see comments I (along with others) posted on Recargo/Plugshare. Make sure once you plug in you bump up the amps to 70 amp charge...I got 43 miles per hour of charge (dual chargers) when I charged there.

Still 256 miles for you to go after that, so you'll have to hit something on the way for an hour 931 mile charge on 30 amp NEMA 14-50 line). Make sure you have a charging strategy at Emerald Isle - good luck!

Thanks so much. I'll give them a call. This is perfect. I can stop there for a leisurely lunch and be on my way in a few hours or less. From there it's only 90 miles from my next charge in Roanoke Rapids.

There's an RV park about 3 miles from the house in Emerald Isle, and I plan to charge there (unless the house has a 14-50 outlet in which case I'm golden).

I recently stayed at the Richmond Marriott. There is no dedicated EV charging capability there. They parked my car up front next to the Valet stand and we plugged the car into a 110v outlet ---- which was all I needed that particular eveninig. As others on this thread have pointed out, the Omni has great capability as long as the spots are available. I have also charged at the Science Museum --- a Chargepoint J1772 30A charger. I wanted to visit the Museum so I spent a little over four hours there and got some 70 miles of charge. There are two stations at the Science Museum. Interestingly, when I arrived on a weekday at about 11:30 am, both spots were available. When I took a break to check on my MS at about 1:30 pm, I noted that a Volt was plugged into the second spot --- and the Volt had a placard hanging from the rear view mirror indicating it belonged to a staff member at the Museum. Ven Rala used one of the VCU chargers in the evening recently while he had dinner after the Richmond International Raceway gathering.

The VCU lot on Broad Street is closed on weekends, or was when I tried it in April. The one on the MCV campus downtown would more likely be open as it serves the hospital and medical school. It would also be pretty convenient as it's right off I95. You may try calling VCU parking services or the MCV bookstore which is right next to the garage.

Thanks so much. I'll give them a call. This is perfect. I can stop there for a leisurely lunch and be on my way in a few hours or less. From there it's only 90 miles from my next charge in Roanoke Rapids.

Omni charger: Great!

Omni food (at least the lunch): Bad, and I mean quality-wise--the options sounded fine but the food wasn't very good (including undercooked pasta). There are restaurants a short walk away; I recommend looking around for something better.

Thanks guys. I'm now at the Omni charging. Made the 164 miles from my home with about 85 miles of range left. Drafted big rigs on 95 south of DC. Need about another 40 to get to Roanoke Rapids with some margin. I'm spending the night at an RV park there then on to Emerald Isle. This is a blast! It's a much more civil way to travel.

Can you charge at the Omni, even if you are not staying there as a guest. Is there some charge/parking fee? I am going to Williamsburg for labor day weekend and the hotel (Williamsburg Woodlands) said we could plug into a 110 and that should be fine for our 2 day stay, but just in case, I wanted a back-up plan.

You can charge at the Omni for free, but parking is about $3.50 an hour. if you do plan to try the Omni, make sure you call the hotel and ask for the valet when you get close....the valet can tell you whether there is a car charging there (two parking spots, one charger). Another option (and a mandatory backup option!) is to hit up one of the Williamsburg Tesla owners (there are several!!) and use their 14-50 (I don't think any of them have an HPWC). I know several of them and they are enthusiastic Tesla owners who love to share their plug!

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing on the Omni - once you plug in increase your amps to 70 so you get the full charge. The Tesla software will think it is an HPWC and will limit you to 60 amps...you can override that and get the full 43 mph charge (based on when I went there last) the Omni will give you.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing on the Omni - once you plug in increase your amps to 70 so you get the full charge. The tesla software will think it is an HPWC and will limit you to 60 amps...you can override that and get the full 43 mph charge (based on when I went there last) the Omni will give you.

the valet can tell you whether there is a car charging there (two parking spots, one charger).

All good advice from jimtjim...

There are actually 3 spots that the charger can reach... it's just that one of them is a long "front-to-back" spot that the valets mide have to juggle a car in to. You can see it in this pic... it's where my buddy's Volt is parked behind my blue Model S:

TeslaAndMe.jpg

The charge station is on the side of the wall just to the right and below that Electric Vehicle sign, and has a reasonably long cable.