Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0 bug tracker proposal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderators: can we turn this post into a wiki so members can edit?

The goal of this post is to collect the bugs in firmware version 5.0 (we should add a build number here in case there are multiple versions as with 4.5).

For each bug we should also note whether it has been reported and whether there is a response from Tesla.

BUGS

1. Maps: Street names are upside-down when maps are rotated (and driving South)
    • reproduce by: switch map into "car orientation" mode and drive South
    • reported: known to Tesla
    • response from Tesla: "this is a documented 'feature'"
  2. Display: Seat heater status doesn't show up in display after update
    • solve by: reboot

Also we can have the enhancement requests here (as most bug trackers track both)

In the comments dsm363 points out that there is already a Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

Mod Note: by popular demand a Wiki has been created here:
Wiki = Model+S+Firmware+5+0+Bug+Tracker

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a thread for feature requests or bugs or both? A bug is when the car's behavior differs from the manufacturer's design. Not every user may agree with or like the design, but if the car behaves according to the design, it's not a bug.

Tesla has already proclaimed that the upside-down headings are the intended design and not a bug. Presumably this is because they're simply rotating the north-up map tiles they receive from Google instead of requesting vector maps and doing their own dynamic rendering.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photo-fanatics/9507295139/in/set-72157635064094141

"Heading-Up Tracking Mode
Map is oriented in the direction of travel. Note that the map labels will not adjust as the map rotates so they will be upside down when you are driving south."

Is this a thread for feature requests or bugs or both? A bug is when the car's behavior differs from the manufacturer's design. Not every user may agree with or like the design, but if the car behaves according to the design, it's not a bug.
I guess we agree to disagree then. If Tesla tells me that it is a feature that every 50 miles I have to stop the car, turn it off, walk once around it and then restart, then that may be what they designed, I will still consider it a bug.

So whether Tesla documented the bug ("map labels will be upside down") or not - it's still a bug. I consider the upside-down labels as as reasonable as the scenario I suggest in the previous paragraph.

I guess we agree to disagree then. If Tesla tells me that it is a feature that every 50 miles I have to stop the car, turn it off, walk once around it and then restart, then that may be what they designed, I will still consider it a bug.

So whether Tesla documented the bug ("map labels will be upside down") or not - it's still a bug. I consider the upside-down labels as as reasonable as the scenario I suggest in the previous paragraph.

I once read an article that said that Tesla needed to fix a "bug" where your battery could become "bricked" if you completely drained it. That's inconvenient. Would you call that a bug too?

Don't get hung up on the definition of a bug versus a feature. Different companies have different criteria for defining what is what. Most would agree that if the product is working as it was designed to work then it is not a "bug". If it is not working the way you would like it to work then that is a request for enhancement. I think users often feel like if something is not qualified as a bug then it is less important than something that is. This isn't the case. Work items are almost always ranked against one another independent of their classification (bug, enhancement, tech debt, whatever). The real reason for drawing the line is usually to determine what kind of process needs to be used to implement the change.

Based on what I've seen from these software engineers so far, I'd assume they are following some flavor of Agile. One of the themes of Agile software development is that you focus on delivering something that works rather than something that is perfect. They said that rotating maps is one of their most requested features. Well, if they could get everything done except rotating the street names, then there's no reason to hold back the entire feature until they can make that happen too. Ship the software with this admittedly annoying limitation, then continue to refine it over time (though in this case I'm not sure it is even architecturally possible until they get access to Google's vector maps).

Think about it like this: would you have wanted them to delay Model S until they got WiFi up and running? Of course not. Was the fact that there was a WiFi antenna in the car that didn't function a bug? No. It was turned off by design.

How much some behavior personally annoys you does not determine whether or not it is a bug. The question is, is it working the way it was designed to work or not. That doesn't mean it is perfect or that they shouldn't improve it, it just means that by any definition of "bug" that I've ever seen used in the industry, it is not one.

We already have the Firmware 5.0 thread. The previous FW versions faired well each with their own threads and Tesla tends to update with iterations which are then automatically included in the FW thread.

(FWIW, I don't see the Google Maps thing as a bug because there nothing Tesla can do about it. If anything it's Google's bug)

Last edited:
We already have the Firmware 5.0 thread. The previous FW versions faired well each with their own threads and Tesla tends to update with iterations which are then automatically included in the FW thread.

(FWIW, I don't see the Google Maps thing as a bug because there nothing Tesla can do about it. If anything it's Google's bug)

So let's not have a bug tracker.

My goal was to help interested people to see what has been reported already. It seemed easier than reading through a 500+ post thread. But if people think I'm trying to solve the wrong problem, I really don't care.

needle in a haystack

My goal was to help interested people to see what has been reported already. It seemed easier than reading through a 500+ post thread. But if people think I'm trying to solve the wrong problem, I really don't care.

I agree with you. Having to read through 500+ posts is a complete waste of time. The biggest problem, which is not unique to TMC, is that the posts go off topic and morph into discussions having nothing to do with the original topic. It makes finding information akin to looking for a needle in a haystack, simply impossible.

Of course, I just did to this topic what I loath. :)

OK, there seems to be different views on what constitutes a bug and I'll confess to some skepticism on whether anyone will keep it up as the various versions of 5.0 come out; but.....there also seems to be some desire to give it a go so there is now a Wiki over here:

Wiki = Model+S+Firmware+5+0+Bug+Tracker

Thanks, NigelM!

I tried to reflect the views expressed here on "bug" vs. "broken by design" in the wiki. I think this could be quite useful and will certainly try to maintain it (as I see bugs posted here or elsewhere).

"Issue" is a more generic word than "Bug", and tends to capture the spirit of all "stuff that is undesirable to at least some customers". I recommend we go that route with the thread/wiki titles.

@Citizen-T: Nice post. Well stated.