Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cory Johnson: Perpetual $TSLA Cynic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
Cory Johnson (Bloomberg) Nonsense

Tesla Urged Customers to Order to Make Q1 Targets: Video - Bloomberg

About 1:00 in:
"He orders it in December... receives it in March... here's why it's really important. Tesla ended 2012 with 15'000 orders in hand. 15'000 people waiting to get cars. We know that they sold 4750 cars in the quarters. So that should mean that there should ... still be 10250 people waiting for cars.

And here, we got a guy, who ordered in December, got it in March. Did he jump to the front of the line? Or did they get, with 4750 cars delivered, do they in fact have a lot of deferments? Do they have a lot of cancellations? I talked to Tesla saying 'what's up, the numbers just don't add up, unless, you've had 10'000 cancellations' they said 'well, they're not all cancellations, there are also people that were told well maybe you can have the car now, but maybe deferred it'... but it really suggests there was a surge in cancellations and deferments. Customers were offered cars, but said 'we don't want it', or 'we don't want it now'. But the numbers clearly say that customers did not want as many cars now as they ordered at the end of Decembers.".​

Now, as everyone on the thread who are still waiting for a car after a year (or more) knows, yeah, that guy jumped the line, likely because he ordered a higher-end Model. Why didn't Tesla PR set Johnson straight on this? Frustrating.

I saw that one as well online. They don't allow comments or I would have nicely pointed out all of the different configurations that hadn't been built yet in Q1 causing many people to be skipped. On the other hand, I do think they are at the point where manufacturing is outstripping orders, and the backlog may be exhausted before the end of the year at the current reservation rate. They did stop publishing the sequence number on reservations, so it's much more difficult to determine the rate. I also think reservations are more concrete these days, since you can finalize almost immediately.

What bothers me is that ... when Elon has good news and it's so good that he simply has to TWEET about it, moments before the end of Q1; PROFITABLE!
Yet the following day ... all the hype (some of which we are guilty of) of the "leasing" program with numbers that are IMO BS ($500 per month) ... and only available in 8(?) states ... deflate the balloon.
And when questioned by two reporters "how many cancellations"; he literally told them that was not the subject of the phone call.
Had he any positive news, he would have said "only 100 if you can believe it, he'd be proud as punch!"
10,000 cancellations I find hard to believe. Very hard.
But I also question why they stopped the reservation numbers.
Feels like they're hiding something?

But I also question why they stopped the reservation numbers.
Feels like they're hiding something?

According to the Q4 conference call, they don't really want a long waiting list (anymore). So it won't serve as a meaningful metric anymore, now that they try to meet demand with production, as much as possible. Of course, they will try to do this at the highest level possible (while avoiding too much overtime).

BTW, european/asian reservations of course get skipped as well (as do "reds", 60 kWh for 85 kWh, various batching, temporary supply constraints or over-availability of specific options, etc).

All this means the sequential aspect of a 'reservation sequence number' is not very relevant anymore (except perhaps within Europe).

Hmmmm... let me see..... VIN's in the 8000 range..... Assuming Tesla has delivered close to 9 or 10,000. And if an additional 10,000 have cancelled, then why have I (in the 16000's res number) not received my car months ago?

For an organization focusing on numbers.... These numbers just don't add up Bloombergians.

But I also question why they stopped the reservation numbers. Feels like they're hiding something?

To me it seems as if they just got tired of answering, "I have reservation #7000, why don't I have my car when #10000 just got delivered". Based on the number of posts like that on the forums, they must have received hundreds of calls and emails about that--which took valuable time to answer that could have been used more productively.

To me it seems as if they just got tired of answering, "I have reservation #7000, why don't I have my car when #10000 just got delivered". Based on the number of posts like that on the forums, they must have received hundreds of calls and emails about that--which took valuable time to answer that could have been used more productively.

Good theory!

Not to mention quelling speculations like Cory's.

cory's reporting the last few days has been way off. he thinks tesla's production is running at 367/week. he thinks cancellations are 10,000. it's all wrong. cancellations are probably higher, but even if they increased by 50% from q4 (from 1800 to 2700), most likely tesla will still sell out all their production for 2013. i posted the models in the investor thread.

the good news is he's teasing more people get short and people who have doubts to sell. when (if?) there is the upside surprise i expect it's going to be a beautiful ride. remember the stock went up $9 and that was with people bashing their upward earnings revision. now the stock is hardly up $3 from when they guided higher. if they beat by even more than projected... well it should be a good time.

Instead, now they have to answer questions like "I finalized on x/x, before so and so who finalized on y/y, why are they getting theirs before me." It's what I asked my guy today.

I know I'm not the first one to notice (see Elon's tweet) and its been going on for a long time, but it's just getting ridiculous. A "journalist"/media person so against Tesla, taking every opportunity to spew venom. GM, sales #, production, and demand all up...he reports decrease in sales $ (ignoring the basis for it ofcourse).

Elon Musk@elonmusk11 May
@dpinsen People tell me Cory Johnson is a shill for the shorts. Don't know if true, but he sure behaves that way.

Here's my recent conversation with him on twitter. Feel free to jump in if you like. I can only do so much in 140 characters.

https://twitter.com/CoryTV/status/367727557913104384

I just can't stand the biased and misleading reporting. Its so disingenuous.

I know I'm not the first one to notice (see Elon's tweet) and its been going on for a long time, but it's just getting ridiculous. A "journalist"/media person so against Tesla, taking every opportunity to spew venom. GM, sales #, production, and demand all up...he reports decrease in sales $ (ignoring the basis for it ofcourse).

Elon Musk@elonmusk11 May
@dpinsen People tell me Cory Johnson is a shill for the shorts. Don't know if true, but he sure behaves that way.

Here's my recent conversation with him on twitter. Feel free to jump in if you like. I can only do so much in 140 characters.

https://twitter.com/CoryTV/status/367727557913104384

I just can't stand the biased and misleading reporting. Its so disingenuous.

yeah, that guy is somethng else. It seemed like he was friends with Elon at one point because there is that video of them riding in a Roadster together a while back. Very strange how he is now though, I agree with you completely...he is a terrible reporter and is always taking shots at Elon and Tesla these days....he looks kind of like a rat too, ick!

Oh yeah. He's a mess. Nothing drives me more crazy than a journalist that sits around on his ass all day telling people like Elon that they can't do whatever it is they are trying to do. I'll tell you what, Cory. You launch something into orbit, then I'll start giving any weight at all to what you think is possible.