Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rugbymonk

2008 Roadster #287; 2017 Model S
Apr 25, 2010
NJ
Does anyone here have a electric motorcycle? I am thinking of buying the new Zero that goes 100 miles on a charge with max speed of 88 mph. Just did a test drive over the Brooklyn Bridge today. Very impressed! Any thoughts/recommendations/warnings?

I just received my 2012 Zero DS. I have not been a huge motorcycle fan in the past - I hate the noise, smell, vibration... I was more of a mountain biker. But as I was researching options for my seasonal 36-mile commute (I do nursery sales from Spring-Fall), the Zero seemed to be perfect, and definitely the cheapest way to be able to get to work on electric power.

My first ride was at night, and I totally fell in love! It has a nice smooth acceleration, quiet and clean; it was the most peaceful 90 km/h I've ever experienced! My kids love having rides, and my 18-month old is now a complete biker baby - she cries when she has to get off. And I love not worrying about hot mufflers, ruining their ears with engine noise, or killing brain cells by sniffing gasoline exhaust.

My only critique so far is the summer windscreen that comes as an optional accessory; I'd like to see it a bit bigger, although it might be better on the S model, since on the DS I'm sitting a bit more upright. Otherwise I'm completely satisfied with the ride. The company has good customer service - my main contact has been Kent Aubichon (Zero Canada) and he is personable and very responsive to emails.

Just a caution - you will not get 100 miles at 88 mph; 100 miles is city driving, at highway speeds it's closer to 60 miles with the ZF9 pack, likely less depending on conditions. I am not as familiar with other companies, but I know Zero was recently rated the top company in terms of both vision/business model and execution (product currently on the market).

thanks KBF. Good to hear positive info from an owner. How many miles do you have on it now?
By the way, I just got a Brammo blast email today about the Empulse launch in LA on May 8th. We'll see if Zero will finally have some competition...

Take the Zero core bits and put them in a S1000RR chassis and you have an extremely capable bike for a heck of a lot less than Mission wants for theirs.

I keep saying they should add a sportbike to their line up (like a fully faired SR, maybe an "SRS") with full fairing, better brakes and suspension, but somehow they don't seem to listen to me :-D

Some sportbike people may like a roaring exhaust and peaky twitchy engines, but it is the second best selling market segment after the cruisers, there is bound to be room for a sub segment for people who don't. Just slap a fairing on the SR, I'm sure there are many people who just want the sportbike looks but can do without the handling and seat position characteristics of real sportbikes (which are not so well suited for beginners anyway).

The big plus for me (and the reason I sold my S1000RR) was the lack of heat billowing off the bike at a stop light combined with the ability to flick the bike from side to side easily as there was no huge whirling crankshaft of a gyro between my legs. Put the electrics in a competent chassis (250 GP bike ????) and it would be fantastic.

I don't even have a motorcycle license but I really really want a Zero motorcycle. It sucks that if I took lessons to learn how to ride a motorcycle I'd probably have to learn on an ICE! >_< Learning all that clutch stuff is gonna be a waste of time, ugh.

I don't even have a motorcycle license but I really really want a Zero motorcycle. It sucks that if I took lessons to learn how to ride a motorcycle I'd probably have to learn on an ICE! >_< Learning all that clutch stuff is gonna be a waste of time, ugh.

Not necessarily. The best way to get DMV approved training in the US seems to be to attend the local BRC (Basic Rider Course), and you can attend that on your own motorcycle (as long as you can find a way to transport it to the course, usually an empty parking lot in your town). I have heard lots of stories in my motorcycle forum about other riders doing the BRC on their own bikes (mostly 70yo dudes and 100lbs women who all bought a 700lbs Harley for their first bike without ever having ridden before, and of course failed the BRC miserably :frown:)

I suggest you look for more info on a motorcycle forum. In "my" forum we have a sticky for beginners, top of the page: The perfect line and other riding myths - ADVrider

Due to the nature of the forum we don't get many beginners though, so you may find more info on other forums. Many have dedicated beginner subforum (Sport-Touring.Net - Beginner's Garage) with lots of info about the BRC, bikes, gear, technique, good books (Keith Code, Bernt Spiegel) ...

Not necessarily. The best way to get DMV approved training in the US seems to be to attend the local BRC (Basic Rider Course), and you can attend that on your own motorcycle (as long as you can find a way to transport it to the course, usually an empty parking lot in your town). I have heard lots of stories in my motorcycle forum about other riders doing the BRC on their own bikes (mostly 70yo dudes and 100lbs women who all bought a 700lbs Harley for their first bike without ever having ridden before, and of course failed the BRC miserably :frown:)

I suggest you look for more info on a motorcycle forum. In "my" forum we have a sticky for beginners, top of the page: The perfect line and other riding myths - ADVrider

Due to the nature of the forum we don't get many beginners though, so you may find more info on other forums. Many have dedicated beginner subforum (Sport-Touring.Net - Beginner's Garage) with lots of info about the BRC, bikes, gear, technique, good books (Keith Code, Bernt Spiegel) ...

Thanks for the links!

There is sort of an awkward catch 22 where I'd have to already own the bike if I wanted to learn. I guess I could somehow get the 400 lb bike into the back of the Model S and drive it to the training course... o_O Then there's the added awkwardness of not wanting to mess up your brand new Zero S while learning how to ride, lol. Last resort: use the class-provided ICE bikes.

I tried finding a cheap used Zero for sale but to no avail. All the used ones I saw seemed to cost the same as a new one. I was told not to buy a Zero that's older than 2013.

I'll definitely check out those links for beginner tips tho. I need all the help I can get ;)

Last edited:
LOVE my Zero SR :)
Did you get any of the addons (extra pack / external chargers)? Thoughts? Took two test drives on Saturday, first the DS and then got on the SR. Wow!! So impressed by the SR (coming from a Honda CB900F), it gave me a Tesla grin. Also was trying to find some options as far as fairings and/or windscreens go. I'll be using this to do some commuting that a ferry is involved in and it'll be a lot of highway driving, so would want to add some wind protection and range extending. By taking a MC on the ferry I get to not to have to wait in line and first on / first off.

Thanks in advance,
Paul