Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove Box Light Addition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gctseng

All around good guy
Jun 10, 2013
United States
I'm still getting around to adding additional LED lighting to my trunk and frunk (I actually a different approach for these, but you guys'll have to wait to see it when I'm done--waiting for parts from China :tongue:), but in the meantime, I've added a strip of 3 LED's to the glove box.

1. Scrounged an unused cover for my computer case and bent it straight, then screwed it in the back side of the existing glove box light holder/cover:

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

2. Added some heat-shrink tubing to make sure the wires stayed in place (the LED strip already has a sticky back, but I wanted to make sure things didn't go anywhere--unlikely anyway as everything is so light).
IMG_3594.JPG

Here's a view of the side that is facing the interior of the glove box:
IMG_3595.JPG

3. Connected and secured my female connector (white) to the existing glove box light connector (black) (the wires on the other end of my connector are actually first soldered to 2 pins that are to be inserted into the backside of the existing glove box light connector, then I added shrink tubing (yellow) to the soldered connector wires/pins assembly after I soldered the pins). As I didn't want to modify the existing glove box light connector, I used a tie (orange) to secure everything (if I ever have to remove the light, I can simply unscrew the LED assembly from the cover from step 1, and simply cut the tie and pull out my pins):
IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

4. Connected the plugs, shoved everything back and replaced the lid. Voila. More light:
IMG_3602.JPG

Sorry about the quality of the pictures and lack of intermediary steps. I figured people could figure out what I did, but if there are people interested and want to know more, I can try to take more pictures.

-EJ

Hmmmm ... wonder what's in the prescription bottle ... doesn't look like pills :scared:

It's what the doctor ordered...to feed the parking meter. ;)

Now if anyone can tell me how to get access to the button for the glove box release or send me a link to a thread with pictures, I can really do some modding in the dash area to add other "features".