Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: FW updates OTA vs WiFi?

One would think that with WiFi now fully functional that updates would deploy nearly immediately for those with WiFi active. My MS has a connection anytime it is home, yet I'm still waiting for 5.9. I understand that with rollouts, large companies stagger delivery to devices to prevent servers from overloading--but that's when there's an enormous audience receiving the data. At this point we're talking about a relatively small volume of downloads in comparison to something such as a Windows/Mac OS update.
    P#20,754: 85kWh Black w/Pano, 21" Silver // Int: Black Leather, Matte Obeche // Pkgs: Tech, Sound, Air, Lighting, Parking Sensors, Parcel Shelf. Confirmed 8/20/13 - Shipped 9/12/13 - Delivered 9/25/13

Pistons are unnecessary. Todd Burch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeazL View Post
    One would think that with WiFi now fully functional that updates would deploy nearly immediately for those with WiFi active. My MS has a connection anytime it is home, yet I'm still waiting for 5.9. I understand that with rollouts, large companies stagger delivery to devices to prevent servers from overloading--but that's when there's an enormous audience receiving the data. At this point we're talking about a relatively small volume of downloads in comparison to something such as a Windows/Mac OS update.
    WeazL, with the risk of inconveniencing a large number of customers with a fast rollout, they still want to roll it out somewhat slowly. Now that most use Wi-Fi, bandwidth isn't the issue. But remember that lots of different cars out there have different hardware configurations. Tesla still wants to catch issues with a certain hardware configuration before it's rolled out to the entire fleet, so the updates start out relatively slowly.
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 19s (for now), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

My car is on wi-fi every night and still waiting on 5.9.

I've said this before, but it is possible it is being blocked somewhere in your network by a firewall or a setting on the modem. It is possible it isn't tesla... Although it might be.

Thanks for your input, Todd & Kraken. Todd, good point.
    P#20,754: 85kWh Black w/Pano, 21" Silver // Int: Black Leather, Matte Obeche // Pkgs: Tech, Sound, Air, Lighting, Parking Sensors, Parcel Shelf. Confirmed 8/20/13 - Shipped 9/12/13 - Delivered 9/25/13

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I've said this before, but it is possible it is being blocked somewhere in your network by a firewall or a setting on the modem. It is possible it isn't tesla... Although it might be.
    If you can remotely get to the car via the smartphone app while it's connected to your WiFi infrastructure, it's not being blocked anywhere.... that connection is via the encrypted tunnel from your S to the Tesla Mothership...
    -sc

85KWh | Metallic Blue | Black Leather | Obeche Gloss | Tech | Pano | Air | 19" Rims | Parcel Shelf | Twin Juicers | HPWC | VIN: xxxx10647

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Updates do -- and should IMHO -- roll out slowly. I'd rather have a slower rollout than a broken car.

And for those who are still waiting, it does appear to be rolling out slowly. My car is also on WiFi and just got the update last night.

Thread Information