Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: FW updates OTA vs WiFi?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
    Back when I worked for a major bank we'd distribute firmware to remote branches via usb for updating ATMs that still had dial up modems. Numerous safeguards existed and it never was a problem.

The car has connectivity. If a usb update is attempted the car can phone home to ensure the update is valid before proceeding. Any evidence of tampering would cause it to abort and fail.
    Distributing files via usb internally in a company = no problem.
    Distributing FW that controls a Model S = hack risk and/or reverse engineering risk.

So, you're also suggesting that if an update was via usb then it could not take place unless the car had a 3G signal? The point up-thread was that people needed a usb update as in some circumstances (such as your garages etc) they couldn't get a 3G signal.

I'll still bet you a cup-holder it doesn't happen.

(A) Back when I worked for a major bank we'd distribute firmware to remote branches via usb for updating ATMs that still had dial up modems. Numerous safeguards existed and it never was a problem.

(B) The car has connectivity. If a usb update is attempted the car can phone home to ensure the update is valid before proceeding. Any evidence of tampering would cause it to abort and fail.
    (A) I've watched tech talks about how easy it is to hack those ATMs because of the USB ports and the phones in them.
    (B) You're assuming that people will only try to hack the USB key when connected to the car. I don't for one second agree with this assumption.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

The car has connectivity. If a usb update is attempted the car can phone home to ensure the update is valid before proceeding. Any evidence of tampering would cause it to abort and fail.
    We all know how well such a system of "phoning home" to validate update files has worked out for Apple's mobile devices being unable to be hacked - NOT. Now all we need to do is assume that Tesla's engineers are much more versed in security ...

I think you're smoking wishful thinking ...
    60kWh, MC Red, Grey/Lacewood, Tech, Air, Pano, SC, Torklift Central Eco Hitch

I'm not disappointed. I just think it's silly. Not everybody has access to WiFi in their garage.
    100% agree. I have a standalone garage away from my house. WiFi doesn't reach there. Now I'm most likely going to install an AP there. I'm lucky enough that I have the option (but it will require a very long Ethernet run!

Quote Originally Posted by techMology View Post
    100% agree. I have a standalone garage away from my house. WiFi doesn't reach there. Now I'm most likely going to install an AP there. I'm lucky enough that I have the option (but it will require a very long Ethernet run!
    Proof that OCD thrives @ TMC.com -- gotta have my updates as fast as electronically possible.
    Last edited by brianman; 08-15-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Edit: Holy cow I can't type today. Corrected: Prefer -> Proof

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Prefer that OCD thrives @ TMC.com -- gotta have my updates as fast as electronically possible.
    Well, when you drive a Spaceship, you expect updates to be delivered as fast as possible.

baseless speculation that TM will start charging for 3G

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Does exist, V5.0 firmware just happened.
    On other hand, I welcome the WiFi addition because I've got better WiFi coverage in my garage than I do 3G (or 4G for that matter).
    I know 5.0 exists. I am referring to rampant paranoia that TM will charge for 3G. We all welcome WiFi. I do not welcome the ongoing baseless speculation that TM will start charging for 3G as there is not one shred of evidence that TM is going to charge for 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by montgom626 View Post
    I know 5.0 exists. I am referring to rampant paranoia that TM will charge for 3G. We all welcome WiFi. I do not welcome the ongoing baseless speculation that TM will start charging for 3G as there is not one shred of evidence that TM is going to charge for 3G.
    We're a bit off-topic, but there is some evidence. There was a leaked(?) pricing plan a bit back.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by montgom626 View Post
    What do you mean by 3G? Basic telematics and software updates? If so then you are right. If you are talking about Slacker, web browser.....etc then they have said for over a year that there will be a charge for connectivity.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Quote Originally Posted by techMology View Post
    Not necessarily. There's plenty of solutions which will allow you to use directional (eg yagi) antennae to link your house with your garage. Just a thought.

Thread Information