Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I use my own Slacker account, will I lose functionality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Tesla last week!! I'll post a delivery report later, having too much fun right now. I'd already read the manual many times, but there's nothing like playing with the interface in person to learn new things and come up with new questions. I'd really like to have my own custom Slacker stations, but it appears that the only way I can do that is by creating my own Slacker account. I'm concerned that if I do that, I'll lose the "any song any time" functionality. Everyone says that I should get a "Radio Plus" account if I want it to work in the Model S, but that type of account does *not* list "any song" functionality. Is the Tesla dealer account "special" in some way? Or is the Slacker website inaccurate? Maybe there's just a glitch in the software that's giving us functionality we shouldn't have? Someone enlighten me please!

Slacker free is not supported because the Tesla app, for good reason, does not allow ads. Premium is what allows the "any song any time" and is what your temporary account level is. If that is what you are looking for, then you want the premium account type.

If you look at the subscription types on the Slacker page, "play songs on demand" is the one you are looking for.

I think my question was not clear for some reason. We know for certain that the Tesla app is designed for Slacker PLUS, not Slacker Premium. This has been confirmed by Tesla. But for some reason, we DO get "play songs on demand" functionality. Is this a bug?

But for some reason, we DO get "play songs on demand" functionality. Is this a bug?

I don't... or I should say I only get it once per song. If I ask for, say, Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones, it'll play that song and create a channel called "Start Me Up Radio". The next time I ask for that song, it'll launch "Start Me Up Radio" and begin randomly playing songs in that channel.

When the trial period ends, I am trying to decide on Plus vs. Premium, but don't want to spend the extra if the app can't support it.

I don't... or I should say I only get it once per song. If I ask for, say, Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones, it'll play that song and create a channel called "Start Me Up Radio". The next time I ask for that song, it'll launch "Start Me Up Radio" and begin randomly playing songs in that channel.

When the trial period ends, I am trying to decide on Plus vs. Premium, but don't want to spend the extra if the app can't support it.

Tesla has a special agreement with Slacker (which got broken once, and was fixed a week later).

I don't believe this is available as a specific package to anybody else. It's sort of a Plus Plus model - where you can pull up a song by name, but only once in a 24-hour period.

It will play a song on demand once per day (I don't know if that's defined as 24 hours after first request or if it resets after midnight Pacific or whatever). It will play the song again, but only as part of a rotation ... not on demand.

I don't believe this is available as a specific package to anybody else. It's sort of a Plus Plus model - where you can pull up a song by name, but only once in a 24-hour period.

Maybe it's a Canada thing, but I can say for certain that I can only play a song on demand once, regardless of how long I wait between tries. It usually does come up again in the rotation, but not on demand... at least for me.

I know the app won't support premium features as a user interface, but if I use a premium account, do we know if on demand will work as intended? Or are we SOL with the current Tesla implementation, regardless of the account type we use?

I know the app won't support premium features as a user interface, but if I use a premium account, do we know if on demand will work as intended? Or are we SOL with the current Tesla implementation, regardless of the account type we use?

I use my own personal account which is a premium account. Song on demand, alblum on demand, unlimited skips, etc....all work as expected.

Tesla has a special agreement with Slacker (which got broken once, and was fixed a week later).

It depends on the license that Slacker has for the music. I just went out and tried 4 stations, "All Star" by Smashmouth, "Who Says You Can't Go Home" by Bon Jovi, "I'm a Believer" by Smashmouth, and "Life is a Highway" by Rascall Flatts. I can repeatedly cycle through them and it will play those songs first every time. There doesn't appear to be any time bound limitation on when they can be played.

...and yet there are stations for which Slacker won't play the song first, EVER. Try "To Make You Feel My Love" by Garth Brooks -- which simply NEVER comes first for me.

I had the same problem with "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, although it seems they may have obtained a license for play on demand lately. A few months ago, I simply could not get that song to play first, I had to hit fast-forward about 8 times before it would play.

...and yet there are stations for which Slacker won't play the song first, EVER. Try "To Make You Feel My Love" by Garth Brooks -- which simply NEVER comes first for me.

Ahh.. that's probably what I'm seeing then. Just happens I've picked songs with that licence restriction. Gonna have to try a few more!

- - - Updated - - -

I use my own personal account which is a premium account. Song on demand, alblum on demand, unlimited skips, etc....all work as expected.

Perfect. Good to know for when the "free trial" ends.

I use my own Premium account as well, primarily so I can create my own playlists on my tablet at home and then access them in the car.

Question for Bteflyl8e and Phat78boy: how does the play full album functionality work with the Premium account? Do you simply say "Play (album) by (artist)" and it will start playing from track #1 as soon as you select it on the screen?

I have the same experience as Btrflyl8e. Full album plays, as long as they are licensed for it. Skipping forward plays the next song in the album.

Playlist created from the computer also comes through fine. Only gotcha is I have to sometimes sign out and the back in to get new lists or updates I made to previous list.

how do you get to your own playlists in the Tesla?

I have the same experience as Btrflyl8e. Full album plays, as long as they are licensed for it. Skipping forward plays the next song in the album.

Playlist created from the computer also comes through fine. Only gotcha is I have to sometimes sign out and the back in to get new lists or updates I made to previous list.