Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Horn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally made my pedestrian horn today

IMG_0568.JPG

here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOOH! That is so cool, and Rube Goldberg would be proud.
I detest the pedestrian warning sound on the LEAF, but I think I need a bell for my Tesla.

I can see it now - folks will be coming up with bongs, gongs, sleigh bells, chimes, ring tones, .............. See what you have started?:biggrin:

I like it. Details?

The bell is a 2nd hand store brass bell mounted to the bracket the horn is mounted to. I bought a cheap doorbell that normally rings repeatedly when you push the button and wired it doesn't break contact and just strikes the bell as long as you push the button and Velcro taped it to the bumper area. I use a 2 cell lipo battery and a momentary switch on the other end. I haven't decided where I want the button and battery yet but that is the easy part. I think it would work with the car power but the bell wasn't rated for that many volts, and I have a ton of lipo's.

The pedestrian horn is a good idea but I would rather prefer a pedestrian detection system, that would be even better if were integrated with the ACC.

And then they just stand in front of you still...
Pedestrian 'deflection' system would be better perhaps :wink:

I pay attention for pedestrians but they are very oblivious sometimes.

I think I might make my own solenoid hammer and can the store bought one. I think I can make the bell ring a bit better with a different hammer that has a spring and EM to cock the hammer then release instead of the magnet pulling the hammer to the bell. We'll see.
retty fun passing young kids on bikes or Lemonade stands and ' Ding, ding, :biggrin:"

Last edited:
My problem with the horn is that the spring is so strong it is difficult to impossible to honk it in any way but a major blast. We need a weaker spring or a separate pedestrian horn. This issue is all the more important because of our silent running and the need to GENTLY make our presence known.

The pedestrian horn is a good idea but I would rather prefer a pedestrian detection system, that would be even better if were integrated with the ACC.
I know this post is from 18 months ago but I think the collision detection system now provides this functionality as I have had it go off twice when pedestrians were walking in front of me while I was driving slowly in a parking garage.

I know this post is from 18 months ago but I think the collision detection system now provides this functionality as I have had it go off twice when pedestrians were walking in front of me while I was driving slowly in a parking garage.

and it alerted them of your presence?

- - - Updated - - -

But where do you stow/mount it? :biggrin:

perfect on your steering wheel. maybe you could swivel mount it to use it as a suicide knob too!

How about one of these horns instead (click on the "Click for sound" images in the right-center column).

http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/pages/Train_Horn_PAGE.html

Having the high torque and quick speed of the Model S will come in handy as people angrily storm after you for blowing such loud horns. Especially the 175 decibel one (enough to cause deafness!)

Train horns are for sissies.

You need some ship horns. May require a trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gong sound made when you press on both pedals is pleasant and mellow.

1. Locate this speaker and bring wire(s) thru firewall to outside of frunk. Ask artsci where & how. :smile:
2. Hook up a tiny all-weather speaker. Put a sock in it if you think it is too loud.
3. When anything warm blooded is in your way, just press the brake pedal while continuing with the accelerator and voila!
--

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts... just use the regular horn button... a single, momentary tap triggers the pedestrian horn. Any press of the horn longer than that triggers the regular horn. I'm talking anything over a momentary press, so it doesn't even have to be a 1/4 of a second before the regular horn is sounded.

And yes, user selectable (unless required by future law).

Now I know people are going to jump all over me for that suggestion saying 'NFW!!! I want the full horn IMMEDIATELY when I press it". I'm going to guess the population of people who would say that are pretty much the same population of people who would say "Pedestrian horn?? NFW on my car!".

<flame suit ON>