Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging near Ocean City Maryland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
We're taking a camping trip to frontier town this week, and though we were originally told there NEMA 14-50 hookups there, when I called today to confirm, they seemed really confused. I shudder at the idea of driving all that distance only to be stranded. Chargepoint and Plugshare don't show anything in the vicinity. Anyone ever stay there before? Know of any charging opportunities in the area? What outlet is common at these campsites? He kept saying it was 30 amp, then 50 amp.

Have not been there, but from what I understand most campground owners won't understand "NEMA 14-50". You should ask them if they have "50 Amp Service" instead. My dad owns a campground and they have both 50-amp service (NEMA 14-50) and 30-Amp service (NEMA TT-30).

Plugshare shows 5 charging locations in Salisbury (23 miles away).

Back to the campground:

In case it helps, a photo from their gallery...
7FDA6B92-3048-71C2-175308B8517DC5F3.jpg

I'm also headed down that way next week and my wife wants to cram everything into her Q5.
I'll be going from the DE supercharger to VA Beach.

Ed

You'll make that no problem... The DE peninsula is so flat and the speed limit its like 50-55, when I made the reverse trip from Va Beach to the DE supercharger I was averaging well below 300 wh/mi and projected range was going to be about 300 miles...

Check out my "888 mile" road trip thread for pictures and stats... I charged at the whole foods the day before I left.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/18174-888-Mile-Road-Trip-NY-gt-Richmond-VA-gt-VA-Beach-gt-Ocean-City-MD-gt-NY

Aaron

Ed

You'll make that no problem... The DE peninsula is so flat and the speed limit its like 50-55, when I made the reverse trip from Va Beach to the DE supercharger I was averaging well below 300 wh/mi and projected range was going to be about 300 miles...

Check out my "888 mile" road trip thread for pictures and stats... I charged at the whole foods the day before I left.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/18174-888-Mile-Road-Trip-NY-gt-Richmond-VA-gt-VA-Beach-gt-Ocean-City-MD-gt-NY

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. My wife runs with full A/C any time of day or night it seems...

/Ed

Thanks Aaron. My wife runs with full A/C any time of day or night it seems...

/Ed

I still think you could make it with AC on - I was surprised with the windows open at how low the wh/mi were..... There are some charging options in the Ocean City area if you need them - and can't imagine you'd need to stay more than a couple of hours to add some buffer.

Aaron

The tricky part is that we're driving down in a single day. On the way back I'll have 3 passengers (2 on the way down) and I may need "help" getting to the Wilmington, DE supercharger. So its 2 supercharges and possibly a booster. I fear I'm going to catch flak for all the stops if we have the booster stop.

The tricky part is that we're driving down in a single day. On the way back I'll have 3 passengers (2 on the way down) and I may need "help" getting to the Wilmington, DE supercharger. So its 2 supercharges and possibly a booster. I fear I'm going to catch flak for all the stops if we have the booster stop.

Figuring how much to charge at each Supercharger is pretty simple:
  • From Supercharger to Supercharger site — Put enough in the battery to make it to the next Supercharger site with some margin. I like actual distance plus 20% with a 50 mile minimum.
  • From Supercharger to Destination (assuming an OK charger at the destination) — Same as Supercharger to Supercharger - The greater of 1.2 x actual distance or 50 miles.
  • From Supercharger to Intermediate Charger — Assuming that you have enough range to get to the next charger, stop charging at the Supercharger when the miles/hour charge rate goes below the charge rate at the next charger; it will be faster to add miles there. For example if your next charger is an RV Park 14-50 with a charge rate of 28 mph, then quit charging with the Supercharger when the charge rate goes below 28 mph, if the next charger is an 80 Amp J1772 and you have twin chargers, stop Supercharging when the rate drops below 56 mph, etc.

Good luck!

Figuring how much to charge at each Supercharger is pretty simple:
  • From Supercharger to Supercharger site — Put enough in the battery to make it to the next Supercharger site with some margin. I like actual distance plus 20% with a 50 mile minimum.
  • From Supercharger to Destination (assuming an OK charger at the destination) — Same as Supercharger to Supercharger - The greater of 1.2 x actual distance or 50 miles.
  • From Supercharger to Intermediate Charger — Assuming that you have enough range to get to the next charger, stop charging at the Supercharger when the miles/hour charge rate goes below the charge rate at the next charger; it will be faster to add miles there. For example if your next charger is an RV Park 14-50 with a charge rate of 28 mph, then quit charging with the Supercharger when the charge rate goes below 28 mph, if the next charger is an 80 Amp J1772 and you have twin chargers, stop Supercharging when the rate drops below 56 mph, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, the tricky part of this is that it is 9+ hours of driving combined with all that charging to be done in one day...

Thanks, the tricky part of this is that it is 9+ hours of driving combined with all that charging to be done in one day...

You're talking about 570 miles or so. that's 9.5 hours by itself depending on your preferred speed (I assumed 70mph to Newark, DE and 50mph from there given stop lights on Rt 13). It's probably closer to 9 hrs. If you drive the ICE then you'll need to stop twice for gas, food and bathroom breaks. Assuming you don't eat in the car, call it 30 minutes per stop (5 mins gas, 5 mins restroom, 20 mins eat). So, an additional hour on your trip.

If you need to supercharge twice then it's probably 45 minutes at the Milford stop and a full hour, maybe 1:15 at Newark. Call it 2 hours in total. So, an additional hour beyond the ICE. It's 240 miles from the SC to VA Beach. Definitely doable if the weather cooperates (no heavy rain or headwinds). Probably doable even in adverse conditions but you'll want to scope out a place to stop given certain go/no-go parameters.

Only you know the complaints you'll experience regarding extra stops and the constraints that will put on you but, for only an extra hour, I would take the S. It's highly unlikely you'll need the additional charge at a slow charger but there is the possibility.

You're talking about 570 miles or so. that's 9.5 hours by itself depending on your preferred speed (I assumed 70mph to Newark, DE and 50mph from there given stop lights on Rt 13). It's probably closer to 9 hrs. If you drive the ICE then you'll need to stop twice for gas, food and bathroom breaks. Assuming you don't eat in the car, call it 30 minutes per stop (5 mins gas, 5 mins restroom, 20 mins eat). So, an additional hour on your trip.

If you need to supercharge twice then it's probably 45 minutes at the Milford stop and a full hour, maybe 1:15 at Newark. Call it 2 hours in total. So, an additional hour beyond the ICE. It's 240 miles from the SC to VA Beach. Definitely doable if the weather cooperates (no heavy rain or headwinds). Probably doable even in adverse conditions but you'll want to scope out a place to stop given certain go/no-go parameters.

Only you know the complaints you'll experience regarding extra stops and the constraints that will put on you but, for only an extra hour, I would take the S. It's highly unlikely you'll need the additional charge at a slow charger but there is the possibility.

Thanks for boosting my confidence John. I've got over 11k miles on my car but no supercharger stops or long road trips yet.
And yes, I know the complainers in my car :)

/Ed

Outsider,

It just so happens that I'm headed to Fenwick Island, just north of Ocean City on Thursday. I called several campgrounds and found one that is willing to let me charge there. It is the Delaware Seashore State Park Campground.

They have 50 Amp sockets at each site and are going to let me charge at one of their auxiliary (overflow) sites. Paying the $8.00 daily visitor fee is all they ask. They were very willing to work something out and it sounded like I was the first to request EV charging.

Lanny

If anyone takes the Cape May, Lewes Ferry, see if there is a way to charge on board. I rode the oldest boat in their fleet last October and there were no outlets of any kind. (see video) I wonder if some of the newer boats might have 240v or at least 120v outlets on the lower deck.

Lanny

Last edited by a moderator:
I am leaving from Montreal tomorrow, to get to Ocean City Monday night, thanks to the Superchargers.
Getting through Vermont is the most challenging, as the options are few and far between....
So 450 km for the first day, and over 700 km for the second day...

We will be camping at Castaways Resort, in Berlin, MD, since this is the best way to get 50 amps ...

I am leaving from Montreal tomorrow, to get to Ocean City Monday night, thanks to the Superchargers.
Getting through Vermont is the most challenging, as the options are few and far between....
So 450 km for the first day, and over 700 km for the second day...

We will be camping at Castaways Resort, in Berlin, MD, since this is the best way to get 50 amps ...

Good luck, I may pass you (or visa versa) on the way down, leaving MA on Monday for Virginia Beach, VA!
We'll be camping in a hotel room...